“What a great place to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in The Hague
Beverly Hills
“What a great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife and son just left The Netherlands after five days in The Hague. The location of Hotel des Indes is perfect. A short walk to the Centrum area, museums, and cafés. Far enough away from the bustling of the shopping area to have a relaxing stay bit able together to the area I with a short walk. There are cafés and wine bars around the corner of the hotel also. The staff was exceptionally helpful including the front office, concierge (Maurice) and the doorman. We happened to be there during the King's Day celebration which included the carnival. It occurs every year from around the end of April through the first week in May. While it was a minor annoyance it also added to the charm of spending the time in The Hague during the national festival. The noise terminated by 1100PM and that was the time we went to be anyway. We are platinum members of SPG and had requested suite upgrade but the alternative room we were given had a great view and was spacious for the three of us. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting The Hague.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Room 360 which was in front of the building and gave us a view of the park area (and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear SPG Platinum member,

How wonderful it is to read that you have had an enjoyable stay with us. Spending your trip during our King’s Day weekend may cause some problems, but as you mentioned that is the charm of our small country.

We hope that we may have the honor of welcoming you and your family back to Hotel Des Indes soon.

Rem Bastiaens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife and I took a short break to the Netherlands in late April, primarily to go and see the Keukenhof Gardens, and decided to spend some time nearby in The Hague after this. Our first mistake was not checking pubic holidays in the Netherlands, our visit coinciding with Kings Day and the festivities/celebrations associated with this.

We had found a good discount deal for two nights online so booked the Hotel Des Indes, obviously first having checked the ratings here on Trip Advisor.

On arrival after a long day at the Keukenhof gardens, following our overnight sleeper ferry from the UK, we were somewhat concerned to find a large fairground occupying the majority of the square in front of the hotel. Though it was only around 5pm the music from the various thrill rides was already quite "bass heavy" and we wondered how things would be inside the hotel - we may have found out why there was such a discount for these dates.

We used the hotel car park, which is directly outside the hotel. At 36 Euro per night this is far from cheap, but as The Hague is not that "car friendly" (trams and bicycles being the obvious alternatives for getting around) this was the best option for us. The Valet parked our car for us and our bags were swiftly taken away to reception, awaiting our check-in.

At reception the gentleman that checked us in spoke excellent English, and apologised for the fairground outside - obviously they have no influence on this, but the apology was appreciated. He assured us that the music would stop at Midnight (which it did) and explained about Kings Day in the Netherlands and the associated festivities that weekend, including the fairground outside.

We were offered an optional room upgrade, and the cost for this included Breakfast and premium high-speed WiFi access (free rate-limited WiFi access was also available) for less than just adding breakfast each day, so we took up this offer. Our upgraded room was on the 4th floor, room 423, and this was quite large with an excellent view over the rooftops of The Hague, but more importantly it was around the side of the hotel away from the fairground. It had a large canopied bed and plenty of room, with a generous bathroom that had an interesting multifunction shower over the bath.

The bed, pillows and bed linens were very high quality, and both my wife and I commented on this being one of the most comfortable hotel beds we have ever slept in. The room also had a pod-type coffee maker and a small minibar, with complimentary bottled water each day. The one thing we did note was the lack of milk for tea (tea bags were provided, but only powdered creamer). A quick call to reception had a jug of fresh milk delivered to our room, and there was room in the mini-bar fridge to keep this cool. When we pointed the “tea but no milk” issue out to the receptionist at checkout they said they would look into this, and on return home around 12 hours later that evening after our return ferry crossing, I had an email from the hotel saying they had addressed this issue and would offer milk to guests in future - an excellent prompt response, and great customer service from an organisation that listened and acted to customer feedback. Some larger chain hotels could learn from this!

The bathroom had two sinks, always of benefit in the mornings even on holiday, but the bath was fitted into the corner and there was quite a high step into this. I had no problems being over 6 foot tall, but my wife at around only 5 feet did struggle a little. There was plenty of hot water and good water pressure during our stay, and the multifunction shower had both invigorating and relaxing options. To be fair, fitting a bathroom with all of the modern fittings into such an old (listed?) building is not going to be easy, and they had made a good job working around the structural limitations the building imposed.

We made use of both the bar and restaurant (dinner and breakfast) and both were very good. There was an excellent selection available at breakfast each day with a hot and cold buffet, plus additional hot options available to order. My wife and I ordered two poached eggs each, and these arrived within a few minutes and were cooked exactly to our request, the yokes still soft on the inside.

The staff spoke excellent English, as well as German, Spanish and Italian that we heard during our stay - not just social chit-chat but proper conversations. We were impressed by the local knowledge and linguistic skills of all the staff we met during our stay, both young and old(er).

We did go and have a look at the Spa and leisure facilities at the hotel, but did not have time to use these during our visit sadly. There is a small swimming pool in the basement, and plenty of room around this to relax on loungers etc. I do not believe that it can be easy to add such leisure features to older buildings, but this had been done well within the limitations imposed.

Outside the hotel, the majority of the other buildings in the street facing the square are embassies for various countries, including the UK & USA - the latter having a large security fence!. This is clearly the “upmarket” end of town, but still has shops and bars plus the obligatory canals for scenic walks a short distance away.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Des Indes. We would certainly stay here again if visiting The Hague, and would like to thank all of the staff who made our stay here so special.

If you want to be close to the town centre, shops, canals and tram lines etc, then this is a good place to stay. It is certainly not the cheapest option for hotel accommodation locally, but the quality of the rooms and fittings, attention to detail and genuinely helpful and caring staff more than make up for the additional costs involved.

The fairground did not prove to be an issue in the end, even when it was in full swing you could only faintly hear it from our room, but we may pay more attention to the holiday calendars of our holiday destinations in future just to be safe.

Room Tip: The room upgrade option, including Breakfast and WiFi, was a good choice
1 Thank CISSP_on_tour
Dear world traveler,

Thank you very much for your kind and well detailed review of our hotel. We are very pleased to read that you have had the true indigenous experience in Hotel Des Indes as well in The Hauge.
Indeed the period you have visited us is not the most ideal time, but it is very good to read that we have exceeded your expectations. We are very keen on making sure all our ambassadors are able to assists our guests from all over the world. Therefore ability to speak different languages is preferred.

As you have mentioned Hotel Des Indes is a monumental building and we have limitations to change the structure of the building, but then again that gives the hotel its royal charm.
Dear traveler we again would like to thank you for your stay and we hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a really nice hotel. The staff are very well trained, the decor is good, the rooms are what you would expect - elegant and comfortable. Everything very smooth from arrival to departure. The bathroom was large enough for a walk in shower but there was just one over the bath which was a shame. The gym is small and a little dingy with low roof and crammed in machines - for me this lets it down. Go for a room with a view - we didn't get one. Didn't try the evening meals as there are so many restaurants nearby. It really is a great location

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Des Indes! We are pleased to read that you have had a pleasant stay and are grateful for your helpful feedback.
Indeed as you mentioned Hotel Des Indes is located in the city center of The Hague and therefore we are in walking distance of very good restaurants as well as other high lights the city has to offer.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Des Indes in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

No other hotel will ever do. That’s the title of the review and that’s just the honest truth. I travel extensively for business and I’ve seen some of the very best, along with some of the very worst. The Hotel Des Indes is now on my top 5 hotels that I’ve ever stayed in.

My wife and I were in The Hauge visiting family and celebrating our wedding anniversary. As soon as we arrived at the Hotel Des Indes an extremely warm and inviting staff greeted us. Our room as well as the entire hotel was incredibly clean and so well maintained for a “vintage” hotel. The bar and restaurant were also both fantastic.

However I must mention one of the most memorable parts of our stay that wasn’t our beautiful room, the great cocktails at the bar or the amazing building. It was actually one of the employees. Maurice Vermeul who was our concierge went above and beyond to make our stay absolutely perfect. He went out of his way on every single occasion to make us comfortable but he did more then just that, he made us feel special. And that is very rare now a days. Due to his level of service and kindness I will always recommend this hotel to all my friends as well as my colleagues. And to the management at the hotel (who will hopefully will read this), please continue to keep this young man on your staff…you’ve got a winner.

1 Thank Jon B
Dear Jon,

Thank you very much for your stay with us and the kind review you have left online! We are delighted to learn that Maurice has made your special occasion even more memorable!
We have passed on your comments to Maurice and our Hotel Des Indes team and we are all looking forward to welcoming you and your wife back to Hotel Des Indes soon!

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I just completed a very important stay at the Des Indes that had important romantic implications. I had reached out to the hotel Guest Services team on multiple occassions to inquire about certain room availability and other services. The Guest Services team were extremely helpful with every aspect during my stay. I cannot say enough abou this time and how helpful and patient they were with me before my stay.

Prior to providing my thoughts about my 4 day stay, I must say I did A LOT of research about this hotel b/c of how important this trip was for me and my guest. The reviews were mostly fantastic and my fear was that either the room I would be given would be a disappointment and/or the hotel did not meet the standards others had shared about it. Thank goodness, they did not overstate the quality of this hotel. I was completely pleased with my entire stay at the Des Indes.

I had asked for and was given room 405, which is a Junior Suite located at the right top corner of the hotel that had a terrific terrace. There are two other front facing suites on the fourth floor, but they are Presidential Suites. There was a festival that went on across the street that was noisy until 11pm every night, but were not concerned about it as we were out and about until after 11pm most nights. If one was there for business and needed an early night, the rooms racing the front or right side of the building would not have been good ones. The room we were given was spacious, but not very large. There have been others on this thread who have posted photos of this hotel, and I believe, of this room. It was terrific.

The hotel's decor and location were equally outstanding. You can exit the hotel in any direction and find tons of restaurant and bars to enjoy. I loved just stumbling upon some great places around the hotel and others that were near the Tram location. I seem to find one terrific place after another by just wandering around. Speaking of the tram, I had some business I had to do while I was in Den Hague and used the Tram extensively. It was close to this hotel and only cost 3 EURO per trip. One has to be careful what Tram track you are taking. I made that mistake once and it cost me a 20 EURO cab trip back to where I needed to go. In general, the Tram is a convenient, efficient and cost effective way to see the city versus taxi rides. If you have time to spare, many things are also within walking distance.

I was excited about the Cigar Lounge at the hotel, but never ended up using it. We walked around so much, I smoke my cigars then. There are so many smokers there, I never had to worry about offending anyone. I had Spa Services arranged for my guest. She loved them and got along quite well with the woman who did all the services, especially since both were originally from Eastern Europe. I thought the Spa Services were quite reasonable. Some have commented that the location of the spa and pool were not ideal. I had no problem with it. The area was small, but nice. We had planned to use the pool, but there were other guests already using it, and we didn't want to invade their space and never ended up using it, but it looked very nice. There were also a steam room and sauna, which again, we did not use, but looked very nice.

We also used the bar/restaurant and had breakfast every morning. The food was good and the charges for food and the drinks were pretty good for a hotel of this quality. The only ding I would give this hotel was with the quality of the service in this area. Everyone was nice enough, but it appeared that they were understaffed, undertrained, or not as attentive as I am using to seeing from a Starwood properties of this caliber. I am really nit-picking here, but I wanted to provide and honest, objective review of this property.

Bottom-line: Even though I did my homework and reached out to the hotel management in advance of my stay to help encourage them to give me the exact room I had requested (I also used my SNAs to ensure, along with my Platinum status that I would get the room I was hoping to get), this stay could not have turned out any better. The hotel was lovely. The city was terrific. The weather behaved. My guest agreed to go to London with me after the stay in Den Hague and accepted my offer to augment our relationshp status. So, all-in-all, a wonderful trip with storybook ending...for us. :)

Room Tip: I had asked for and was given room 405, which is a Junior Suite located at the right top corner of t...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Leva,

We would like to thank you that you have chosen Hotel Des Indes during your important and romantic weekend. We are very delighted to read that all our ambassadors have exceeded your expectations and truly made your stay memorable and magical!

We have noticed that you have done quite some research before your arrival and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back soon to discover more about The Hague and Hotel Des Indes with our concierges.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

What a grand hotel. Full of old world charm and friendly staff. We found everyone was helpful especially the front desk and concierge. Multiple days different people help us plan out our day from trams schedules to restaurant recommendations. Even though the annual carnival was going on, we couldn't hear any noise from our room. The rooms and beds were very comfortable too.

Room Tip: Use the complimentary Wifi to check out reviews on Tripadvisor.com. Nice to have the free wifi
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DIndes, General Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Traveler,

How wonderful it is to learn that you have had an enjoyable stay with us!
We are very proud with the knowledge and assistance our staff provides for our guests, and the rich culture we are located in the city center of The Hague.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

With kind regards,
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I recently stayed two nights at the Hotel Des Indes while in the Hague. I prefer Starwood hotels when I travel, and I was not dissapointed with this Luxury Collection property. This is a top notch boutique hotel with friendly & exceptional service. While exuding old world charm, the hotel was in no way stuffy. The rooms were spotless and very comfortable. After flying for 10 hours and driving for 2 hours, the mattresses were more than comfortable. Breakfast was also excellent. If you have a car like we had, the hotel has a private parking lot in front of the main entrance - a true rarity in any city. An added bonus is that there was a large selection of wonderful local bars & restaurants within a short walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BobbeeDee
DIndes, Manager at Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear BobbeeDee,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Des Indes, and what a great pleasure it is to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We highly appreciate that you have took the time to share this online!

We will be sure to share you enthusiastic review with the rest of our team. Our concierges know the best hot spots in de city and are always ready to assist you with all possible requests.