Grand Hotel Amrath Kurhaus The Hague Scheveningen
Ranked #30 of 67 Hotels in The Hague
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The hotel is located at the perfect spot on Scheveningen. The building is quite glorious and has great views of the beach. The weather was perfect when we visited, which certainly helped. Would definitely revisit, and recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
kurhausscheveningen, Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Kurhaus The Hague Scheveningen, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for this prefect score. We hope to welcome you back in the hotel in the near future!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at the "Kurhaus" for two nights and ran a workshop for the board of directors of a client's company. As a leadership coach and facilitator I virtually "live" in hotels. I wouldn't want to live in this one, even though the small room was nice and the bed was great.

This grand hotel's glorious days are obviously long gone! In short the service and general demeanor was not good to say the least. Customer focus in this place spells: the customer has to focus on our rules! Better learn them fast! There is an air of old grandezza, a stiff demeanor, reminiscent of old elegance, but mindfulness is missing. Everyone smiles at you but no one sees you. At one point I waved my hand like you would on a rock concert to get the attention of a waiter in the restaurant! One gets the feeling that the customers are a nuisance to the staff, a necessary evil. They interfere with the processes: If it wasn't for all the guests the hotel could run soooo smoothly...
However, to be fair, I must make one specific exemption: Hani, an older gentleman who helped us around our conference needs, was excellent. What a gem in an otherwise rather "rocky" place. The only one who looked beyond, anticipated needs and took good care of us. "I think you need a coffee, you have a long day ahead of you. Let me bring you one". He was like a drink of water in the desert!

Some examples:

The first night was a beautiful, warm, silk air evening. Naturally we wanted to sit outside. Their answer: "no, we are not prepared for that. We either do it right or not at all" this is an accurate quote! seriously! So we sat inside, alone in large, empty dining hall (cause everyone else had just left an found a nice restaurant by the beach, I guess)

In the morning I came to the beautiful, old dining hall for breakfast. I was just about to pick a seat at a table that was clearly set for breakfast when I was firmly instructed to sit elsewhere. Quote: "we place our guests over there today!" I guess they wanted to keep the workload of the staff down by having us all crammed together in an otherwise huge, empty dining hall.. Follow the rules. Where was I again? Youth Hostel or Grand Hotel?

We had lunch outside. It was a sunny, hot day. There were umbrellas on the terrace but our table was set smack in the sun. No way could you sit there longer than 10 minutes! And then the waitress comes and brings bread and butter. She just puts the butter on the table into the midday sun. Anyone who thinks just one step ahead would have noticed that this doesn't work! not for the guests and clearly not for the butter! It would melt within 3 minutes! We moved tables. However, since the waitress left and was not to be found we did it ourselves (11 of us). We quickly gathered some tables, moved them together in a shady place, took our cutlery and glasses, left the white linen where it was... Later I asked her for a pepper mill. I waited for 15 minutes while everyone had their entrees in front of them. Then I started eating - without pepper. 20 minutes later she brought the pepper... Lunch service was extremely slow - waitress inattentive. She'd take an order, quickly turn around and would not notice - did not want to notice? - that some more of us had requests...So we sat in front of empty plates and empty glasses for long periods of time.

Food in general was very eighties and not very good. Fish totally overcooked to a point where I had a hard time eating it (mushy, slimy). quantities not sufficient. (After dinner we sat in a bar by the sea and everyone ordered food again).

Conference: This hotel clearly does not understand this business. Hardly any good facilitation materials (no cards, no metaplan-pin boards, flimsy, bad flip charts, no flip chard pens, just some old whiteboard markers). And everything costs extra: e.g.: to rent a (quite old) projector cost a ridiculous amount and - get this: if you bring your own you still have to pay "because the technician will certainly have to come and install it". What? Stick the power cord into the outlet? I needed speakers: Some 25 Euro/day for a small, single-box speaker that you can buy for less than 200! It even cost money to park you bicycle!
Internet: Yes, there is free internet. however the speed of 25kb/s is so slow that it is completely useless. You can buy a high speed connection at more than 20 euro per day! (the monthly price at home). To me that spells rip-off. Make it look as though you offer free internet but design it in such a way that you will buy the expensive version. I guess they call that bait-and-switch...?
On the positive side: I arrived in an EV (Tesla) and was given an (expensive) park spot right next to the main entrance where they had a 380 Volts outlet. That was great!
When I left I asked at checkout how the gate to the parking lot can be opened. "Just give us a wave and we'll open it", was the friendly and promising reply. Well forget that! I sat in the car, drove to the gate and waved towards the window... nothing. So I go to the reception and wait in line (people checking in). I tried to get the attention of staff while trying not to be impolite to the other guests. Staff doesn't see you!! I gave waves, "excuse-me"s, "could you please..." Nothing. I waited for 15 minutes while my car was sitting there, door open... finally I had his full attention as it was my turn and he executed the enormously time consuming feat of pushing a button... I left - never to come back...

Room Tip: book a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Spuetz

Travellers are raving about these The Hague hotels

Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Yeah, me too. Well, we stayed here two nights as a post cruise stay after doing a "Windmills and Tulips" Cruise. Upon arrival it took a bit of a discussion to get the front desk to change our room arrangement from a queen bed to two doubles. After a short discussion the "manager" finally understood I was not unpacking until he relented. It's too bad you almost have to become politely and loudly indignant for management to listen. The room was clean and comfortable but nothing exciting as it was booked by Viking. It was April, so it was a bit chilly for sunbathing, but the hotel is set on the beach on a boardwalk filled with open-air beach restaurants and shops. We were lucky to have sunny days for walking the boardwalk to the outdoor "Fairytale Sculpture" museum, and restaurants. Just out the front of the building was a tram (or train) to take you into town for shopping. We enjoyed a complimentary buffet breakfast in the morning in their historic dining room. Excellent rating because of Location, location, and beautiful dining room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your comment on Tripadvisor.
We do offer you our apologies for the check in procedure, as this was not completely to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Beautiful hotel on the boulevard or as we say the boardwalk on the North Sea. Service, food and facility is excellent and I highly recommend it. Local transportation provides access to The Hague or train to other areas.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SlowJim
Dear guest,

It is very pleasant to read that your stay in the Steigenberger Kurhaus hotel was to your satisfaction. We hope to welcome you in the Steigenberger Kurhaus Hotel again in the near future!

Your sincerely,

Cincinnati
Reviewed 14 April 2014

On an extension to a Viking River cruise in Holland, we stayed 2 nights in this beautiful castle by the North Sea. The murals on the ceiling and the crystal chandelier are only part of this beautiful Hotel. The Rolling Stones performed there in 1964 and Bon Jovi performed there in 2010. The breakfast buffet was incredible and comes with the room. The area is chock full of historical museums, palaces and great architecture. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I have read a couple of other reviews after my stay and generally I think they are pretty spot on. I have really mixed feelings about this one.

The hotel reception, bar and restaurant area are exceptionally beautiful as is the building and views. For a vacation or city break you will struggle to get better. However my experience of the room was not good, very ordinary! The bathroom was tiny and it was far from what I would expect after seeing the rest, the rooms need an upgrade. Also the air con did not seem to work and the general temperature was far to warm. I was on business with colleagues and we all found the free internet to be very frustrating, again not what you would expect when you see the hotel and arrive.

There was also an annoying sell of their past with constant reference to the Rolling Stones being there in the Sixties, constant massive projected pictures in the restaurant??? Come on guys thats 50 years ago and not everyone loves the Rolling Stones!

As I said mixed feelings, dont get me wrong its a lovely hotel. The things they need to work on to make it a excellent hotel are big. I think everyone will have a great time and wont be disappointed if they choose to stay. However, I for one and I think there will be more would not return as there is better value and a better room is what you want.

Room Tip: ask for a large room if they have any
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Seran T
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. This feedback helps us to improve our service. Please be as kind to contact our Executive Office via executiveoffice@kurhaus.nl when making your next reservation and we will make sure your next stay will be absolutely perfect.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

The grandeur of the hotel did not fit the size of the hotel room. The hotel room was small and was more fitting of a 3 star hotel. Service was fine, not outstanding. A bit of a disappointment as you would expect more when you are pulling into the hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business