“An endless painting”

Panorama Mesdag
Ranked #4 of 175 things to do in The Hague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A magnificent experience in time and space.
The Hague, The Netherlands
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“An endless painting”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have known about the existance of this painting from when I was about 10 yrs old and although I was born in The Hague, I had never seen it in real. Until two years ago when we decided to see it with some friends. It is fantastic, almost unreal. An impossible project for one person. From an observation gallery in the centre of the room the cylindrical perspective creates the illusion that the viewer is on a high sand dune overlooking the sea, beaches and village of Scheveningen in the late 19th century. A foreground of fake terrain around the viewing gallery hides the base of the painting and makes the illusion more convincing. It is unbelievable!

Visited June 2013

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“View the dutch coast in history”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is recommended if you want to feel what it was like to be in the Netherlands about hundred years ago. You will walk past a bunch of paintings, and in the end you can take the stairs to a huge panorama 360 degree painting. As a local I liked to see what it was like such a long time ago. Only go here if you take interest in culture and history. Otherwise just go to the beach and harbor and eat some fresh fish there to experience it yourself!

Visited October 2013
Abbotsford, Canada
140 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“This was fantastic!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

A lady we met at Blossoms told us to come here and we were not disappointed. The most fantastic panorama of the Scheveningen Beach and it was massive. Cleverly done as a backdrop with real sand and beach items in the foreground. The viewing stand is made to look like a beach hut when you are standing in it.

Be aware that a person with mobility challenges may not get up the circular stairs. I did not see another way to access it as it is completely in the round. Amazing!!

Also in another room there is 3D art that must not be missed. Too bad a photograph does not work. It was surreal.

Parking in the area is not too difficult.

The Hague, The Netherlands
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“An historical attraction in The Hague NOT to be missed by visitors or residents”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I recently had the privilege of visiting the Mesdag Panorama museum in The Hague with a group of multi-national friends. Upon arrival we were made most welcome and were introduced to our guide, Alice who commenced the tour by showing us a selection of paintings by both Mesdag and his wife. However, this could not have prepared me for my first glimpse of the panoramic painting of Scheveningen in the late 19th century when we exited the darkened spiral stairs to the viewing platform - it was awesome!!

As we slowly viewed the painting and learned of some facts relating to the buildings and scenes depicted, I felt as though I was transported back to that era as The Hague is still lucky enough to have many of these historical buildings still in existence today and I could easily relate to what I was seeing. We were also privileged to see the painting at ground level and it made me realise what an enormous task it must have been to paint this magnificent vista.

I know that I missed quite a bit of the detail on the painting - there was just too much to take in on one visit - so whether I have friends visiting or not - I shall return to this magnificent attraction to see more of a bygone age in the not too distant future.

Katie

Perth, Australia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Breathtaking”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I saw this painting in 1986 and once again it has taken my breath away. It creates an illusion of being much bigger than it actually is and the detail is unbelievable. Highly recommend this attraction and the other artists 3d paintings.