“Wonderful Illusion”

Panorama Mesdag
Ranked #3 of 188 things to do in The Hague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A magnificent experience in time and space.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I had no expectation when I visited this museum. It is located nearby my friend's house in The Hague, so I decided to drop by. The 3D paintings on the ground floor are very smartly created. They leave us impression as if we're inside them and see them from various perspective. The views are different when we see them from different perspective. If we go upstair, we can see the 360-degree panorama painting. It feels real. In term of history, it also gives us idea about how Dutch people lived nearby Scheveningen area in the past.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)
All reviews
in 36 reviews
"century"
in 61 reviews

Reviewed 4 June 2014

It is history well preserved; easy to visit-not lots of time. Gives you a very different view of how Scheveningen used to look.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This 360 degree painting inside a dome represented historical research of the area, and diligent application of paint. But, I found myself thinking "So what?". The sandy shore simulated in the foreground is a clever idea, but unconvincing because I can't imagine the Dutch would leave so much clutter on a beach or abandon useful articles . I believe the scenes depicted would interest people without knowledge of how things were many years ago, and also would be a worthy introduction to history for schoolchildren. Let's say I was interested to see it as a curiosity, but rather underwhelmed.

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We did not know what we were going to see, but wow, we loved it! My husband and I thought we would drop in before the museum closed. Of course all the 3D art was very neat, but last and certainly not least, the panorama was fantastic. You really feel like you're looking at the landscape from the 1880s. You really need to see this!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have known about the existance of this painting from when I was about 10 yrs old and although I was born in The Hague, I had never seen it in real. Until two years ago when we decided to see it with some friends. It is fantastic, almost unreal. An impossible project for one person. From an observation gallery in the centre of the room the cylindrical perspective creates the illusion that the viewer is on a high sand dune overlooking the sea, beaches and village of Scheveningen in the late 19th century. A foreground of fake terrain around the viewing gallery hides the base of the painting and makes the illusion more convincing. It is unbelievable!