“Our wonderful stay at Hotel Petit”

Best Western Hotel Petit
Ranked #37 of 68 Hotels in The Hague
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This is truly a gem! Situated in the heart of the old late 1800 neighborhood Duynoord close to the Peace Palace and not too far from the beach yet close to down town and museums and a beautiful shopping area (Frederik Henrdik laan) this hotel provides a real The Hague experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11, which is in the back of the hotel as we like quiet and space.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Sander V
TheHagueEmma, Owner at Best Western Hotel Petit, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Sander, Thank you so much for your review! We had fun talking to you and your lovely wife. I sincerely hope you will get the change to come back to The Hague soon and stay with us again...Warm regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I stayed in this hotel in June 2013 with a group occupying 10 rooms. After a week in a cramped Parisian hotel, I was delighted to stay here. We got a group discount so I thought the price was quite good. My roommate and I wound up in a 3-4 person room on the ground floor, the room was big and had its own private patio! The bathroom and shower were just fine, there was space to move around. It seems like the hotel was formerly someone's fancy house (or 2 rather, because the hotel comprises 2 buildings), as some of our friends' rooms had stained glass windows and some had bay windows - very neat! The location was great, I loved it. It's in a quiet residential neighborhood near a bunch of embassies, and best of all, it's a 10-minute walk to this wonderful neighborhood around the Frederik Hendrikplein park with tons of eateries and shops. It was very charming, and not touristy. Can't comment on public trans and relation to the 'big attractions' of The Hague, though I know it's not far by tram/bus to Scheveningen.

The hotel has buffet breakfast for 10 euros, which could be pricey depending on if you eat a lot or not. I eat a lot and the food was pretty good especially the bread, so I felt like it was a fair price, though head to that charming neighborhood and you'll find more options.

We met the owner who was really friendly and her 2 dogs. She explained that she is in the Best Western umbrella to put her on the map so to speak. This hotel is unlike any Best Western I've seen in America, which are staid usually budget affairs. It was relaxed, comfortable, and charming - it was just right! If you're coming to The Hague, check this one out.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jim R
TheHagueEmma, Owner at Best Western Hotel Petit, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Jim,

Thank you! It was so much fun having you and your friends stay with us! And I really appreciate how you describe our buildings and location. Sometimes it is hard to explain how special our small business is and how fortunate we are being in a beautiful area like this, close to really everything. Please do come back and stay with us!

Warm regards,

(and dogs)

Reviewed 28 June 2013

In short, our experience was not the best. We had the second-floor room which overlooks the street, and when we arrived, the room was very hot. At first, we were told the windows do not open, and there was nothing to do. Later, we were told to try the windows. They opened and we propped them up using bricks from the garden. We complained, but were told nothing would be done since we prepaid the reservation. The second and last day, the hotel fixed the windows. We felt the owner should have showed us some consideration. If it is hot, we suggest finding a hotel with a/c.
At 156€ per night, we felt this was very over priced. If we had a much lower rate—one that matched the hotel’s value—it would have met our expectations.

The positives: The person at the reception, Hannah, was extremely nice and empathetic. She really did her best to help us including providing two fans. The hotel has a lift, which was great. It was unique in that it had no ceiling and you can see all the way up the shaft. My kids loved this. The park across the street is nice and pretty. Although this is in a residential neighborhood, there are a number of restaurants within a ten minute walk. The room was large. There is a kettle and a small fridge in the room. Tip: We found free overnight parking in front of the Russian embassy each night.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NDfan2
TheHagueEmma, Owner at Best Western Hotel Petit, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your review! We regret it very much that you had so much trouble opening the windows in your room. Especially as this happened on (unfortunately) the first and only hot day this year...! As our building is over a hundred years old, things like this happen. The windows in all rooms on the streetside are sliding windows, with an invisible construction of ropes and weights on both sides. Sometimes, one of these ropes break and then lifting the windows becomes extremely heavy and the window will not stay open by itself.Getting the proper craftsmen and materials for these rare situations is sometimes difficult on a last minute notice. However, I am very pleased to hear that Hanna did her outmost to find a solution by bringing 2 fans. We were glad we had the windows working on the second day of your stay, so you could cool down and enjoy everything else our hotel has to offer. I hope you will stay with us next time and will personally make sure everything in your room is working properly...P.S. and ofcourse offer you and your family a welcome drink upon arrival. :-)

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I love the neighborhood where this hotel is situated. It's really close to the Peace Palace! There are very good connections with the city center and the train stations. I loved the friendly staff. I loved the breakfast! I loved the comfortable bed and the lovely shower with bath tub. The room was big enough to fit tree people and we also had a terrace. It's very, very clean and once again I would like to point out how amazing the staff was!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Eli_765
TheHagueEmma, Owner at Best Western Hotel Petit, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Eli,

Thank you very much for your great review! We really enjoyed having you and your friends stay with us! As a matter of fact, we always love having students from the Peace Palace...I hope everything is well with you and your friends. See you next time! Warm regards, Emma van Dorsten

Reviewed 9 April 2013

This little hotel is the best we've ever stayed at because of the charm and personal attention to customer service. Right on bus #24 stop. Big enough to give options yet small enough to make you feel really special. All the staff are so friendly and helpful with suggestions, advice or even doing research for you. Nestled between The Hague and Scheveningen, a stonesthrow away from the Peace Palace and Scheveningse Bosjes and a simple cycle ride away from virtually anywhere - beach, dunes/woods, exhibitions and culture... We cycled everywhere all 3 days we stayed here -even a smaller bicycle for my daughter was arranged in a jiffy. Also worth mentioning are the wonderful breakfast offerings - "poffertjes" (puff pancakes), fresh bread and ontbijtkoek were firm favourites in our family. We got discounts at the Escher exhibition (FANTASTIC) anhd Madurodam from the Hotel. Nothing was too much trouble. This is TRUE HOSPITALITY. I have NO hesitation recommending this little gem. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: lovely view from #31 and VERY cosy from sunshine.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Elsje K
TheHagueEmma, Owner at Best Western Hotel Petit, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Dear Elsje and family,

This is a wonderful review, thank you so much! It was so much fun having the three of you stay with us. We deciced to keep the kids bike, as it turns out to be very popular among our guests. We really loved to read how convenient everything was for you, I will certainly forward your compliments to my great team. We would love to have you stay with us in the near future and ofcourse, would be more than happy to help your sister with her (bycicle trip when she comes to Holland! Warm regards,

Reviewed 6 February 2013

I didn't choose this hotel-it was booked for me for business. I travel a lot in Europe and I've found that you never know what to expect because the standards are a bit different from the hotels of the U.S. In a nutshell, you never know what you are going to get. However, I was very pleased with this hotel. Comfortable rooms that were a very good size, decent European style breakfasts (bread, cheese, cold cuts, yogurt, fruit, and cereal), and helpful staff. The first night I was there, I was feeling jet lagged and tired. I was hungry but didn't have the energy to go find a place to eat. I asked the receptionist for a restaurant recommendation, and she was happy to suggest a few places. However, I decided to change my mind, as I was too tired to go out. The receptionist asked whether she could order me a pizza, which was the perfect solution. It was a thoughtful gesture and greatly appreciated.

It was close to the Gemeentemuseum, Photo museum, beach area, and shopping areas. However, although the city center seemed far away on a map, to my surprise, it was an easy and pleasant walk. It was also very close to a bus stop which goes directly to the city center as well as one of the 2 train stations. A nearby tram goes to the other train station.

I would stay here again. Away from the bustle of the city center, but close enough to walk (about 2 miles), and just a few blocks from great museums.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Patricia T
TheHagueEmma, Owner at Best Western Hotel Petit, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear Patricia,

Thank you, that is a wonderful review! Not having a restaurant is indeed not a problem. There are appr. 20 lovely restaurants within walking distance and they all serve great dinners, from simple pubfood to exclusive fine dining. But if guests don't feel like going out for dinner, we always suggest they order in, pizza, sushi, everything can be arranged. We would love to see you back next time and make your stay another great one!
Thank you!

Reviewed 28 December 2012

This hotel met or exceeded all my expectations for a great place to stay with my 3 young children - ages 8 (twins) and 11.

It started off very well with the owner allowing me to enter my room much earlier than normal due to the early hour iI arrived in Holland (6:00 am) and at the hotel (8:00 am). I was particularly pleased at the warm welcome that Emma, the owner, gave me. That's personal service. Obviously I was lucky that my room was not occupied the evening before, but these kind of acomodations are what make these small family-owned hotels so very attractive. Also, I needed four beds in the room and . . . there were four beds in the room - not a small feet at all.

The hotel is well placed for public transportation, both busses and trams, but almost everything is within walking distance if you are energetic! We used bicycles, which are available at the hotel for a minor charge. I strongly recommend you "go Dutch" and go by bike!

The hotel is not a super-fancy five star luxuory hotel, but it is a warm, welcoming and cozy environment for any familys stay in The Hague.

Finally, the hotel staff was particularly kind and accomodating of my sometimes rambunctious children. They managed to clean and straighten our room beautifully every day.

If you are travling with kids, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank ianblane
TheHagueEmma, Owner at Best Western Hotel Petit, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2013

Dear Ian,

Thank you so much for this great review! Actually, we really like having kids in the house, they are fun and make the place alive. We try to accomodate everybody, businesspeople, elderly people, youngsters, families, everybody! I think that is what makes the nice and relaxed atmosphere. So, next time you come to The Hague, please come and stay with us again. (I will again try to get you settled as early as possible, knowing how tired and fed up one can be after a night flight...).

Best regards,