Stayokay Den Haag
  • Room Service
US$148
US$127
  • Bar/Lounge
Hilton The Hague(The Hague)
US$209
US$177
  • Room Service
The Hague Marriott Hotel(The Hague)
US$126
US$118
  • Restaurant
Ibis Den Haag City Centre(The Hague)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$149
US$125
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbunk bedstrain stationden haagshower and toiletcity centreclean roomsrent a bikeplace to sleepwi fienjoyed our stayhostelcanalamsterdambackpackerscerealnetherlandslaundry
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I have elderly parents and my wife and I thought it a good idea to visit them. As a result, rather than going with my wife, I took our grand-daughter with me to the Netherlands.

A grand-daughter, particularly an eleven year old grand-daughter, requires something more than just hanging out with old people. As a result, the day before flying back to Canada, we visited Madurodam.

Madurodam being in the Hague and my parent being in Brabant, required either a return train trip or an overnight in the Hague. I chose the latter.

We arrived early at the StayOkay and our room was not ready yet. This was not a problem, we were offered to put our luggage in a locked room in the basement, so we could visit Madurodam, and return after lunch to take our stuff up to our room.

When we did return from Madurodam, the room was ready for us and our luggage was retrieved from the lock-up.

The room, while not big was adequate. On our beds we found our linen, a duvet cover, a bottom sheet and a pillow case, the set encased in a plastic bag. My grand-daughter, not beign used to making her own bed, provided ten minutes of very funny comedy.

While the hostel provides lunch and dinner, we did not partake as we traveled on to Amsterdam for a look there. When we got back to the hostel in the early evening, we amused our selves at the pool table, she sipping a pop and I enjoying a beer.

Breakfast the next morning was ample and had plenty of variety. We could have had tghe standard North American (cereal) breakfast and/or we could have bread (toasted or not), milk, coffee, tea, yoguhrt, cheese, ham, jam, etc.

I would comment that the front desk was a little overwhelmed, but on the whole this hostel was well located, seven minutes from the train station and trams and still quiet.

One's access card gives it access to the main floor and to one's own floor and room. The room was clean, had windows that opened, as well as heating, but as stated before one has to make up one's own bed. Towels can be 'rented' from the front desk and one should carry one's own soap, etc.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayokay The Hague was easy to work with when organizing travel to The Netherlands for a group of 16 students. They were quick to reply to my emails and offered good accommodations, dinner, and breakfast. The students had a good experience and appreciated the services provided: cafe, luggage area, and information about the town. The hostel was clean and well run. I would definitely go there again if coming back to The Hague with a group of university students.

Room Tip: Since I didn't stay there myself, I can't rate the sleep quality, rooms, etc., though the students who did sleep there had no complaints.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Went there a few weeks ago: warm welcome and friendly staff, prices are really competitive with breakfast included, close to the city center ...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marieke2
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I've stayed at this hostel just for one night on my trip to Holland. I really don't have anything to complain about - the on-line booking was quick and easy, the staff were nice, the breakfast was pretty good - but also nothing to shine out. On the other hand, it was pretty expensive for me and a bit further from the city centre (but next to a train station and trams). This is a safe choice if you want a place to sleep, and nothing more.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I think that Stayokay Den Haag has been one of the best hostels that I've stayed in... In comparison to other hostels I've been at in Asia and Australia.

I was traveling on a school trips taking students so this was not really a vacation for me. They offer a number of room types, I stayed in a 2-bed room by myself. My students stayed in 4-bed rooms (2 bunk beds).

There was an attached math room for each room, which I was quite impressed with as all the other hostels that I've been in only have communal toilets. My room had a fully attached bathroom like you would find in a hotel and the 4-bed rooms had different 'rooms' for the toilet and shower and open sink area. I thought this was quite clever so that different people could use different parts at the same time.

Our package also included buffet breakfast and a 3-course dinner for each night. The food was really good considering that we only paid an extra 6euro for both meals a day, the price also included a set of towels. Breakfast consisted of organic bread (white and brown), cheese, ham, cereal, granola, yogurt, jams/peanut butter/other spreads, fruit of the day, orange juice, milk and a coffee/cappuccino hot water dispenser. Pretty neat! I don't get that at some inns and hotels!

Dinner was quite horrendous the first night as we were the only group eating... Guess they don't make much for small groups, but as the days passed and more people arrived (for the conference ), the food got better. Last tight was had baked salmon with potatoe slices in a creamy cheese sauce - heavenly!!!!! And definitely worth more than 6euro!! It was buffet style, so I went back for seconds! One night! They also served us a beef stew, that was delicious too!

The rooms are clean, and their heater worked very well. The shower also dispensed very hot water.... Nice for the cold cold temperatures right now. No complaints there! They also gave us a towel, which they replenished with fresh ones every Wednesday. Sweet!!! I thought that this was definitely an extra service!!

Cleaners also come into the room to change/give new toilet paper, sweep up the bathroom, clean the hair and toilet bowl every day as well, so I came back to a clean toilet every evening. Now, I never got this service at any other hostel before!!

They also have a bar area, happy hour 2for1 every night from 830-930pm. That was nice, though the staff tend to eat their dinner at that time too... So sometimes no one is at the bar to take drink or food orders. Also the kitchen closes quite early (9pm), and it's a bit disappointing when I can't get some fries withmy beer.... Other than that, it's a nice chill area where they show football matches on a larger screen! Saw the barca vs real Madrid match the other night!
They also have a pool table and foolsball table as well. Though you'll need some coins to play! Was a really good bonding activity with students!

The only other downside was the temperamental elevator. Sometimes you could get it to come down, sometime, it was easier to just walk up the 3 floors. But other than that... It was a great place! I would definitely come back and stay here if I come back to vacation on my own!!

Room Tip: Get one on the 3rd floor away from the bar... Some rooms have tables and shelves, others don't. Ask to get one that does!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business