“A dissapointment..”

Hotel Diamonds And Pearls
Ranked #32 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I am originally from Antwerp but left the country many years ago and I was very much looking forward to spending some time in a quaint place right in the city center. For starters, upon arrival, I was told that the room was not ready when I had specifically asked for an early check in. I had just traveled close to 10 hours and had a 6 hours jetlag. After about 30 minutes the owner arrived and luckily helped me up the suicidal stairs to my room. It had the antique look but a musty smell, the room was quite dusty and the bath tiles were very moldy. Overall, the room was not in the best of conditions. I was highly "amused" by the very large curtains that turned out to be only for decor: they did not close, even though the handyman working across the (very narrow) lane could see straight in my room..
Because of its location it is very noisy, so not a good choice if you are looking to rest. Breakfast was ok but not anywhere representative of good Belgian cooking.
The main problem was when I had to cancel my second stay 10 days later because of a change in schedule. I cancelled on their website - which is where I was asked to book, but surprise - he did not get that. So he happily charged my card with the full price and refuses to refund. Very unprofessional.
Good location but that is it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Positives:
- location, location, location - block from the cathedral and lots of restaurants
- reasonable price
- very good breakfast
- staff/owners were very nice and accomodating
- good size TV with a lot of channels in multiple languages

Negatives:
- very steep and narrow stairs
- no shampoo, water glasses, and only 2 towels in a room for four
- credit card machine not working so cash only while holding a driver's license
- bed was too soft

Room Tip: The Junior suite had decent space for four, but it is on the third floor with very steep and narrow...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MizzouLizard
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The hotel is very central and on first appearance has a charm.
our room (room 4 - comfortable double with terrace) was very cold on entering and felt neglected. The room was pretty bare, the furniture rickety and worn. The mattress sagged and on inspection was heavily stained. There were a lot of cobwebs round the aircon unit. the carpet was discoloured from bleach drips. My expectation from trivago was a 4 star boutique hotel. If you want a 2 star hostel central Antwerp you won't go wrong.
Don't bother booking breakfast at 10 euro. You would do better to get a croissant and roll at a local care for a fraction of the cost and with better service.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank deantraveling
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The day we were checking in, I got a telephone call to know when we would be arriving and I was told to call that number in case nobody answered the door. When we got there, I had to make the call and the "receptionist?" told me he was at the supermarket and that I could find our keys under the doormat. Funny. Since no one was there, we had to climb one very steep floor carrying our heavy luggage with no help.
The room (number 1) was big, clean and nicely decorated and the mattress was ok. And the same goes for the bathroom. The next day there was a lady downstairs who looked like the cleaning lady/person responsible for breakfast who asked us to pay for the room (we were staying two nights) and I refused since I found that strange. But no problem, we were lent an umbrella.
The drawback was our room wasn't cleaned up (bed was not made, used toiletries not replaced) although someone had been there (towels had been arranged).
The day we were checking out we were lucky to find the lady again and she helped us taking our luggage downstairs. We payed and left. Odd experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carlotta945
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I'm a bit surprised by the bad comments. We actually had a very nice 3 nights stay in Room 2 (first floor). Location is really perfect. Room was clean, nice decoration. Nothing to complain about (we paid €60,- a night, great price-quality combination). The restaurant was closed during our stay

Room Tip: first floor (room 2)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My experience here was horrible. When I arrived it was dirty. First of all, it is NOT a place to stay if you're on a business trip, it would have been nice to know the hotel was directly above a bar. I was kept awake by all of the noise and music outside until 4am, when I woke up I found bites all over my feet and neck, that I believe to be bed bugs. I decided to pack up my things and leave right then and there. I would not go back, and for the price (cash only) I'm very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Lolo1121
Reviewed 1 August 2011

This is the most terrible experience we have had in many, many years.... You would not even believe this happens in 2011.... We asked in advance by telephone if we could get a twin bedded room as my friend and I were on a business trip. No problem the owner guaranteed, just mention it in your reservation... and so we did. Upon arrival we were mislead by the attractive entrance. Mislead yes, because when we arrived in our room, it looked like we were participating a horror movie. Old, faded furniture, a bad smell and a strange wooden hatch in the middle of the wall that made us feel scary. Was this the hip boutique hotel we booked?? But the worst was the fact that we only had one small double bed. When we asked the owner (by cellphone, as no one else was downstairs in the dark, empty basement belonging to the hotel, no reception..) about our special reservation which was mentioned on the written confirmation, he reacted very agressively and told us that this was the only room and if we did not like it, we could go to another hotel without a refund. Just when I started to cry from such an agressive attitude he suddenly showed up in front of our room and yelled at us that we had to leave immediately when we did not like his room and if we would not take our car directly from the private parkinglot, we would never get it back...!
We went down, intimidated by this behaviour and when we arrived by our car, he smashed the keys hard to the front of the car... Will you believe we thought for just a second that we were caught in a bad movie? After leaving this nightmare hotel, we realized that we had to do something and went directly to the police who made a report of this misbehaviour. We only have one single advise to all tripadvisors: please, never, ever go here as this is a hotel from hell.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business