“Great location.....poor facilities”

Hotel Diamonds And Pearls
Ranked #31 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We choose this hotel because it was central to the bars, restaurants and main sites, in fact, there were a few restaurants situated along the same road as Diamonds and Pearls hotel. I have stayed in a good few hotels and a few apartments, but this place felt more like an apartment as there was no reception. We had to check in late, so we had to ring the door bell, which was connected to the owner/managers phone. Once the usual paperwork was done, we got our key to the room.

The decor downstairs is amazing. Lovely living space and a good size bar for drinks and i would assume for breakfast also, with a lovely courtyard towards the rear.

I think there are only 4 rooms in the main building- not sure if there are others towards the back- but be warned, if you get the top floor like I did, then you have to climb three flights of narrow spiral stairs.

Our room was very spacious with a nice terrace, but the room needed updating: fresh lick of paint on the walls (wiping the dead mosquito of the wall would have been an idea too!); updating the furniture to match the chic decor they have downstairs; change the hairdryer; a proper bathroom sink (not the onces you get in cloakrooms and (I know this may be too much to ask but) better water pressure from the shower. The bathroom was also separate from the toilet, which was a little arkward, as you had to walk around a tablet to get to the bathroom.

Overall, the stay was fine, but a over-priced for what it was.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed just one night here in the "cottage". It was compact to say the least, with a double room crammed with 2 sofas on the ground floor, a shower and toilet one level up and a smarter small bedroom up a further metal staircase. But it served our purpose, the parking was underground and secure, the location could not have been more central and it was clean with comfortable beds
We opted not to have the 14 euro each breakfast and went into the city to explore.
This was ok for one night, but I would have liked a bit more space if we stayed any longer.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ACRyall
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Location was super, room 4 located at top of building on 3rd floor. It has a huge terrace, perfect for summer.

Bed was terrible, old and lumpy. Old hairdryer, didnt work at all.

Not to bad at all, just not worth 140€ a night. Wouldnt specifically come back here.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed at the Diamonds & Pearlys B&B in Antwerp for 3 nights, Sat to Sun in mid December, travelling on a eurostar train / hotel combo deal. The b&b was chosen due to its location in the old town of Antwerp and close to the Christmas markets. Most of the other hotels were on the other side of the town, nearer central station. Its a 20 min easy walk from that station.

We'd read reviews so knew what was in store which was acceptable, ie the place is generally not staffed apart from breakfast time and period spots during the day. To check in outside these times you simply use the front door intercom which calls one of the staff who are located nearby. They arrived within a few minutes for us.

The b&b is old and retains much charm, evidenced by the many artefacts and old furniture dotted around the communal entrance room and the bedrooms. The front room is very elegant, the bar area in the room behind this is modern style. Neither rooms were ever occupied, there was an optional breakfast at 14.5 euro per person per day which we declined, opting for waffles and coffee from one of the many local stalls and shops. We spent one evening reading and drinking in the front room and didn't come across anyone else, it was like being in your very own elegant front room.

We had room 2 which might be the only one with a balcony. The balcony overlooked a courtyard and various internal rooves, you could see rubbish and old materials which had been dumped so nothing special as a view. Room is good in that it was up only 1 flight of narrow stairs. The downside is you hear everybody clatter past your room at all hours and you can also hear the music which was played quietly in the bar area below (the last night this wasn't switched off). If you're a light sleeper then this could annoy you. It only bothered us on our last night when we had people noisily talking and bustling past at 2am and more at 3am. The room had a small fridge with some mini bar items but small space for your own drinks if you bought them. It was noisy at night when he refrigeration unit started up. En suite was fine, water hot at all times of day. There was no safe in the room.

Antwerp itself has some beautiful areas and buildings. The sights can probably be covered entirely over a day but we spread it across 3 days. Saturday near christmas the place was busy and you are advised to reserve dinner a day before else run the risk of finding your choices fully booked.

We liked the hotel overall and would recommend if you don't mind somewhere with some history and could be a little worn or basic in some areas but charming in others.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DSochon
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for four nights booking by telephone the week before at 55 euros per night, the room was smelling unpleasant possibly due to poor drainage, the staff were obnoxious and rude, in the afternoon of the first day I returned to find the cleaning lady looking through my bags, great! When I arrived back in my home country after receiving my bank statement I found that the hotel had charged me for a total of 8 nights instead of the 4 and charged me 90 euros for staying in a room they had previously confirmed was 55 euros a night, obviously this little scam is a regular of there's as I had negative feedback when I phoned and complained to the Belgium police. DO NOT GIVE YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS TO THIS HOTEL take my advice as a warning.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Marko2508
maarten v, Manager at Hotel Diamonds And Pearls, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear,
Thank you for your review.
If you depart 5 days before your check out date and you do not contact the reception about this and you take all hotel and room keys back to london than it is normal the the hotel has charged the normal reservation amount.
You have paid yourself by checking in, we do not have your pin code so we can not understand this comment.
We thank you for staying with us and maybe it is better you look for a caming or hostel next time.
Management Diamonds and Pearls

Reviewed 25 August 2013

On the moment I am staying a lot in hotels for work. I am already used to the fact that the hotel is normally less nice then on the pictures. But this hotel I can highly recommend!! The room was even nicer then on the pictures and the owners were very nice and helpful. After mentioning that the internet didn't work, it was directly fixed and I enjoyed a fast internet connection the rest of the stay. The fact that I had to call the first time didn't bother me, because there was already someone within 2 minutes and I was able to call true the doorbell so I didn't had to use my foreign phone for this. The hotel is located in the center of town and I was able to walk to everywhere. Next time I am in Antwerp I will absolutely return to this very charming, nice and clean hotel!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in room number 1
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CharlotteTelAviv
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Charming B&B in the middle of the historical center of Antwerp. We stayed in a very charming room. The room was large and comfortable, with old, authentic, stylish furnishings and a beautiful wooden floor. The staff was not always in the house but could be reached by phone any time and was very friendly and had good suggestions for restaurants in the neighbourhood. The location is very nice, near the Cathedral and lots of restaurants. The only disadvantage of the central location was the noice from the people on terraces in the street
when the windows were open. We stayed here in the summer. During winter, this should be a very quite place (no cars allowed in the street). If you stay here in summer, try to get a room at the back of the building.

Room Tip: We stayed in room number 1, on the first floor. A wonderful room. The rooms at the back of the build...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple