“Can't fault the food, sun or position”

Pizzeria del Sud Classico
Ranked #1,098 of 1,557 Restaurants in Antwerp
Price range: US$16 - US$54
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Always tricky choosing somewhere to eat close to the 'main square', but was very pleasantly surprised by this Italian place - got a corner of sun outside at around 6pm and a very tasty Minestrone and then Spagetti dish, with a glass of Red, for 17 Euros - smiles all round.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stay here and we order the menu at 12.90 euro with vegetable soup, chicken with mushrooms and beef steak. The food was very good and the staff very nice and very pleasent.
I wold recommended this restaurant.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Never before have I had such a bad eating experience that I felt compelled to write about it. I’m a very easy eater and can’t remember the last time I left a restaurant unsatisfied, but this was disgraceful. Both of us ordered a glass of wine, which was so watery we both, without even speaking to each other, suspected the wine had in fact been watered down.

As a starter we had the house soup and garlic shrimp. The house soup was water with tortellini and a poached egg. It was literally pasta water, with no hint of any flavour, whatsoever, not even salt. The shrimp on the other hand weren’t too bad, just sad that they did not have any flavour either, as all the flavour was concentrated in a green/grey-ish kind of sauce/paste on the bottom of the plate.

For the main course we had a pizza and lamb with spinach and Parmesan cheese. The lamb, well, let’s just say we both have had enough lamb in the past to feel confident to say this was probably not lamb but pork, and very tough pork at that. On the side there was a huge messy salad, that was covering a big chunk misplaced potato salad, but thankfully the meal was served with fries. The pizza on the other hand was very greasy, tasteless, and the bottom was soggy, topped with all sorts of canned toppings.

After we finished our wine (before the main course) until we finally requested our bill, not once did someone come to ask us if wanted something more to drink, the waiter preferred to lean around looking bored, scratch himself, and comment on the breasts of one of the women that had just left.

Avoid this place, we had amazing dinners our other nights in Antwerp, and not only were they better, but cheaper as well. The fact that the bread and the garlic butter were the best tasting items that evening says enough.

4  Thank BedTroll
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The brief: I'm a tourist from Amsterdam, New Years Evening, rainy and it's shocking to see so many of the plentiful restaurants closed. Others required reservations. I lucked out to find a place with one table available (solo traveler), and went in. I got the table and asked about the mussels they were advertising. The waiter gruffly replied 'no mussels!, (no explanation) just order from the menu' and then he left.
I ordered the chicken 'cacciatora' with pasta, some wine and asked for some regular water.
I got the wine but the waiter, without asking or explanation, quickly opened a bottle of water and put it on the table. I tried to stop him in mid twist, saying I hadn't ordered bottled water. It was that moment when the mood turned. I asked him to take it away and he mumbled something I couldnt decipher and left, leaving their bottle on the table after I asked him to take it away. A dose of odd attitude I thought.
The chicken came in good time but it was of average quality. Three drumsticks (not a breast that I was expecting) in sauce with pasta and salad on the side.
The chicken was very tender. The sauce was nothing special - canned olive slices in tomato sauce.
The pasta was cooked right but the sauce it had was not very flavorable.
After dinner, I ordered a coffee, which was also average. (I had much better coffee at the Panos sandwhich shop nearby).
I asked for the bill. When I got it, it showed a charge for bottled water(!), which was still sitting on my table, untouched.
I brought this politely to the attention of my waiter and he, obviously annoyed by my request to remove the charge, spoke dramatically and loudly about having to remove the charge.
But he did and I paid the bill.
There was no 'thank you for coming' or happy new year cheers. I couldn't help but notice the often and positive attention given to the solo gentleman across from me by the staff. He must be a regular.
Good for him for being treated with care and respect. I wish I'd received the same kind of attention.
All things consdidered, I could not reccomend eating here from my experience.

2  Thank JustBackFromBelek
Reviewed 15 October 2013

They probably have the name changed. Anyway when in Belgium I eat their local food and it is mussels and not pizza. And the mussels were, still, not big enough to be eaten.