“nice & hip, but small hotel.”
Review of Banks Hotel

Banks Hotel
Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Banks Hotel has a nice location, friendly staff and pretty design. When we arrived, we got free drinks at the bar and tapas, which was very nice.
The rooms have nice design, but are quiet small (the bathroom was so small, mini shower) and there is no fridge (I always like to have a fridge, especially because we got a bottle of champagne at our arrival, but had nothing to keep it cool in).
The breakfast was nice. There is no buffet, so they just bring you a plate with everything on it, but it was delicious!
Nice and hip hotel, but the bathroom was too small for me, and some essential stuff were missing, in my opinion.

Room Tip: we asked for a corner room, which was a bit bigger than the other rooms
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The best is the location. Nice atmosphere and the wellcome drinks. The bedroom was small but ok and cleaned. It's perfect for a short staying.
The service was very helpful.
The hall is very nicely decorated

Room Tip: Make sure you get a double bed¡¡¡
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I experienced the same poor service and quality as other reviewers - the rooms lack style and basic amenities, like double glazed windows to block out the street noise in the "superior" rooms, there are no in-room safes or coffee/tea service, the towels have seen better days and my room had a corner of the bathroom done up in silver electrical tape. Pushing the mediocrity into the insane, I returned from dinner one night at around 11:30, and my room key didn't work. Not a problem in most hotels, however at Banks, reception goes off line at 8 or 9 pm and there is no way to contact the night porter except by cell phone (there is a number taped to the door). Fortunately, my dinner companion came with me to use the toilet, and she was able to call. The night porter told me not to talk to him, talk to his boss, and doesn't everyone have a cell phone? The staff the next day were more sympathetic, but weren't jumping up to do much about it, and they also chastised me for not super gluing my cell phone to my chest.
Oh, and at 0830 on a Sunday morning, there was no one around who could print my bill.
The afternoon happy hour and nice lounge would indeed be a differentiator, if they got the basic hotel stuff right. If you still insist on staying at Banks, skip the pricey and uninspiring "healthy" breakfast.
I was also a bit put off by the up front billing, but I can see why now with the minimalist reception service and I would have tried to check out early if I was staying longer than 2 nights.
I wouldn't recommend Banks to anyone and wish that I had read the other reviewer comments before I booked - they are spot on.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Super location but this hotel does not quite cut it. It wants to be a boutique hotel and the design does suggest it is, but it falls short in many respects.
Services are at best mediocre; staff is nice/pleasant but it is run in a rather disorganised way which left me waiting at the reception (desk) for minutes .....before I had to walk in to the breakfast room to find someone.
Also, I had booked and paid for breakfast (late, at checkin) but apparently their system was set up in such a way that the breakfast crew could not easily see that I had in fact paid. So I was 'refused' breakfast despite my 'let me just eat my breakfast already, wilst you sort out your system issues'.

We booked a suite as we had read that other rooms were 11m2 with an open shower. That suite was OK in size ....but not much bigger than I would expect any normal room to be. It also did not have a real feel of 'luxury'; ceilings that I could touch (I'm 6foot); cheap thin towels, basic basic beds. A bottle of cava does not make up for that.

Shower was lovely with lots of waterpressure.

Add quite a lot of noise from other rooms, unusual noise from the drains and a lot of noise from the street and you get a far from perfect experience.
Would I sleep there again? Sure as hotels can get far worse ...but I simply would not pay the prices asked. This hotel is charging rates for a luxury boutique hotel which it just is not. .... on any level ....... including -come to think of it- their nice trendy design .......as I still have to find the first REAL design classic in this hotel (like the 'arco' by Castiglione).

Room Tip: If you want less noise perhaps ask for a room that is top floor and does not face the street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Pro's:
- location
- reception with cava and appetizers
- bed

Con's:
- small rooms
- too expensive for what you get
- bathroom is a 'wet room', not convenient, water everywhere
- did not like the atmosphere of the room, although I love modern hotels the room we had had a basement feel, dark, ...

not a bad choice, but there are better choices in Antwerp

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2013

During a business trip, I stayed in this hotel for just two days and it was really an awesome experience. I loved every bit of my stay. Décor of the building is unique and rooms are well appointed. All the luxurious amenities needed for a great stay were there. The hospitality of all staff goes beyond description. They all are very polite and caring. They really helped us a lot. Food was amazing and I tried all the meals. Coffee served in the late night hours was,really mind blowing. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Received a warm welcome with cold cava on our arrival for a 3 night stay, the rooms were clean and modern, comfy bed, daily room service. The free drinks and nibbles in the afternoon, situated in the chilled out, funky hotel bar / lobby is a lovely touch. The reception was closed after c.18:00hrs so access was via a side security door, not a problem but sometimes better to have the personal touch and a human guarding the hotel! Although pricier than some of the cheaper hotels in the old town, it's worth the extra cost, especially if you make the most of the complimentary drinks and nibbles. We will stay again on next years visit to Antwerp.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple