First of all, just to be clear, we experienced Banks as a vey nice hotel. But this was mainly due to the ideal location. The rooms are very basic and small. When you are on a city trip you will probably spend most of the time in town, however, we do think it is nice to retreat after a long day in a room that has a little extra comfort. Here, this is not the case. To me it feels like a hostel. They market it as 'design' and 'trendy' which is pretty smart and reading the reviews, a lot of people fall for it. But to me, it is just a small room with a concrete ceiling and a glass box which is called the bathroom. Due to the minimalistic design and lack of isolation I guess, a lot of noise gets in from the outside. But that is not what I mind, the city sounds are fine to me. But you literally can understand what you're neighbors are saying and everyone crossing the hallway. This is quite a subjective story, so I will share some pros and cons below to help you make a good decision:
- Free! (unlimited?) drinks (beer, whine, prosecco, whatever) and tapa's from 4 to 8 pm if I recall correctly.
- bed is very comfortable
- Very noisy
- Reception closed after 8.30 pm which gives you a hostel kind of experience.
- Just one toilet (men's) in the public area (think breakfast, tapa's time, or you're check-out day)
- Relatively expensive.
- Small, basic rooms.
We did not have breakfast at the hotel, so I can not share my experience on that one.
In conclusion, we had a great time, but this is mainly due to the fact that Antwerp is such a nice place to visit. The location was convenient, however, Velo (the bikes) make it possible to reach all the interesting places in no-time from any other place in the city. During our next visit to Antwerp, we will skip this hotel. It is just too little value for money. If you pay a bit more, you will get AND a nice location AND a comfy, beautiful room. Maybe a little less trendy ;-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BANKS, a wonderful hotel where you can find a Daytime Café and a Lazy Lounge. Located right in the middle of the most fashionable area in town. You will be charmed by the original and modern look of its interior design. Wood, glass and concrete were melted together to enhance a harmonious mix of design and tradition. The furniture has been selected with the utmost care and is completed by their owners creations. A display of exhibitions by young artists decorate the walls. The result is fresh, bright and invigorating. Lounge next to the open fire place or a stroll straight into town? Always feel welcome at BANKS! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Banks Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banks Hotel Antwerp