“nice extra's, BUT bad incident”
Review of Banks Hotel

Banks Hotel
Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 12 September 2010

+ = Good location, free bites and drinks early evening, good breakfast, 3 person arrangement affordable special price 175 euro (1 double and small room), free parking near by

+- = Small rooms

- = At 2 am, we couldn't enter our room. Magnet card didn't work of the double room. We tried to call reception several times. No answer. Officially they close at 8 pm. You can only enter the hotel during evening/night through a special door. We went down checked out twice if we could find someone. There were no other telephone numbers of the hotel to call. What could we do? Last call was to contact the police. (felt uncomfortable, but no choice) While we were waiting I went to front door one more time to check, I found a dirty, small little sticker hanging there with an almost unreadable number. After a few calls I finally called the right number. The owner answered and a guy staying at one of the rooms helped me by arranging a new card. Strange, why was he not able to answer the phone when I called reception? Fine, didn't want to make a big fuss out of this. (Imagine that I didn't have a mobile phone on me?..)

5 minutes later the owner called me in my room, I thought to check if everything was ok after this uncomfortable experience. BUT NO, she was angry, shouted at me, as she found out I had called the police. Seriously, this was the world up side down. BAD EXPERIENCE!

The customer is NOT always RIGHT in Banks!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 August 2010

Nice modern hotel right in the center of Antwerp, at a stones throw of the 'Grote Markt' and the AMUZ concert hall.
Two days before our reservation we got a call from the reception to ask us if we knew the reception would close at 8:30 and to ask us if we needed information about parking space.
The parking is at 100m, next to Hotel Kamminga and open all day. It had sufficient space even on a very busy saturday afternoon.

Our room was modern, light, with a frosted glass partition in the room for the bathroom and a sheepskin on the floor against cold feet. Flatscreen on the wall, Auping bed, functional reading lights, all furnishings were ok.

In the afternoon there was a happy hour, with free drinks and tapas for the hotel residents, accompanied by friendly service from the bartender ('Would you like another beer sir?').

In the morning there was no bill to pay (one pays at arrival) and the receptionist had plenty of time to help us on our way and direct us towards the many sights of Antwerp.

In all, a very good stay!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2010

After seeing our "very" small room we wanted to request a bigger one with airconditioning ( and we would pay extra for it..), but the owner was not friendly at all and not flexible to change the room, even with the rooms they still had free.
We were almost "forced" to pay immediately our stay and we did not feel welcome.
In the next few day's we stayed we did not feel comfortable in this hotel and the atmosphere is very tensed because of the owner. We believe that the owner do not have any experience in keeping a hotel open in such an international city.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TLCgirl
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Yesterday we tried to book a room with a voucher (bongobon). We first checked on their website if there were vacancies for the date we wanted. We were in luck because there were plenty. So I e-mailed to book. I soon got a reply that they wer sorry but that the hotel was fully booked. We tried again on their website and we could book a romm without a problem. If hotels don't like the voucher system why do they participate? I send them a friendly e-mail asking an explanation but as expected I didn't get an answer. This is unacceptable and I wouldn't go there if it were the last hotel in Antwerp. We really don't like liars!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank markhebbelinck
Reviewed 14 April 2010

I stayed here for a weekend with my partner and while we actually liked the modern feel of the hotel our experience was completely ruined by the aggressive and rude management.

We checked into the hotel at night and were told my one of the staff who let us in after reception hours that breakfast (and free wine or cava) was included in our room rate. We were very impressed by this. When we went to the room, I checked the hotel informaiton booklet which also clearly stated that all extras were included and on check-out you simply return your swipe card with no further payments required. There was no mention of any additional charges for food or drinks.

On the first morning we were served breakfast and not asked for any payment or even our room number. So we assumed as we were told that this was included in the room rate. The breakfast is served to you so you get no choice and I couldn't eat most of it because I am lactose intollerant - however as it was included I ate some bread and fruit.

On the second day we were told, after the breakfast was already served to us, that we had to actually pay for this breakfast and that it would cost 50EUR. When I explained to the reception staff that we were told it was included they intially apologies and told me that as it was their mistake we would not be charged.

However, on returning to the hotel to collect our bags the reception staff informed us that the manager had charged by credit card for the 50EUR. I spoke to the manager over the phone - she was incredibly rude and even accused us of trying to rip the hotel off. We even offered to pay for one of the breakfasts - 25EUR (still a lot considering I only had break and fruit!) - but she would have none of it and continued screaming at us. This was such a shame, and even the staff apologies to us. I am now having to go through my credit card company to try and recover the 50EUR. While not a lot of money it is the principle that concerns me. If we had known what the breakfast would cost, we would have gone out to a cafe at least on one of the days. Instead we were accused of trying to rip-off a hotel and we were screamed at. A manager that treats their customers like that is simply beyong belief. What a shame as until that moment we were happy to recommend to the hotel to our family and friends... But now I would only advise anyone to avoid it at all costs.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zeenz
Reviewed 10 April 2010

This great boutique hotel with amazing views of the cathedral and ferris wheel, in a prime location. It was booked by a client for my husband and me on a 3-week business trip, and we couldn't have been happier. We were nervous reading some of the reviews online, but happily surprised upon arrival. In such a long stay, we had consistently wonderful service, breakfast by the fire, and even a bottle of cold champagne the front desk gave us as a gift on our last night to enjoy on our outdoor balcony with views over the city's rooftops.

Small enough to be personable and cozy, this hotel is still large enough to offer service and amenities that make for an easy travel experience. Design and decorations throughout were thoughtful, unique, and artistic. We particularly enjoyed the large paintings in the breakfast area, and all of the enormous windows both in our room and in the lobby.

Bedding and linens were comfortable, high quality, and soft. Everything was extremely clean, and our room was spacious. Complimentary breakfast included a huge array of fresh baked breads, pastries, cheeses, fruits, meat, hard-boiled eggs, coffees, and juices all prettily presented in small round dishes on a larger round platter (see photos). The meal is served in a stylish long room off the lobby with floor-to-ceiling windows lining the entire two long sides of the space. It is decorated with cushioned benches and seats, and has a small fireplace- the perfect place to enjoy wonderful food and great coffee and watch the rain fall outside before you start your day (photos).

The neighborhood is quiet and makes for a good night's sleep while still being in the center of things, and we literally walked everywhere. We hoofed it to all the major historic architecture sights, the cathedral, and the trendy shopping, fashion, and museum nexus literally outside the door.

As far as reviewers' complaints about the glass bathroom, aesthetically it was a lovely touch and if you're there with a friend, there is a tasteful curtain which could be pulled across (see photos). If you worry about breakfast beginning at 8:30/weekends, we ate every day here for 3 weeks and were often the only "early" (8:30 or 9am) risers in the breakfast room; I imagine that it the reason. The staff were so accommodating I would be surprised that if asked they would not prepare you a breakfast box of pastries and fruits the prior day to take to your room if you have an early train to catch. And, as for those who have concerns about letting themselves in after-hours as you would in an apartment building, the neighborhood was impeccably clean and safe and while we worried about it as well before arriving we never had any problems in the 21 days' time of our stay.

I would welcome the chance to stay at Banks again. It made my first trip to Antwerp a vastly positive month.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We had the 100euro special economy rate. Good room though very small. Very good bed. Perfect location for shopping and old town site seeing. Excellent free predinner drinks with the best cava I ever tasted

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple