“Clean and adequate”
Review of Eden Antwerp

Eden Antwerp
Ranked #35 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I had room 307 for a single night. It's a standard double non-smoking room.
I booked it via Booking.com and scored a -10% Last-Minute deal, without breakfast (that would have been € 12,50 extra).
The best part about the room (to me) was the bed and the bathroom.

The Hotel:

Although the appearance of the street it's located in could use some improvements the hotel looks clean and is less than 10 minutes walking from the Antwerp Central train station and a major public transport hub at the Roosevelt Square. This central location makes it ideal for exploring the city, shopping trips, business trips, theatre events, etc.
You're greeted at the reception in both Dutch and English. Staff is very friendly, and available 24hrs a day.

The Room:

Overall the room was clean and comfortable, which is what's most important about a room.
The bed offered two soft pillows and a set of sheets per person. There's a small open closet with hangers, air-conditioning with remote control, a chair, a stool and something I decided must have been a luggage carrier because it didn't look very comfortable and it was too high for an extra stool, but was ideal for unpacking.

Having said that, it's the little things that make or break a room, and some things made the room slightly less appealing.
Biggest downside to me was the pay-per-view TV for 8 international channels (no local channels offered for free either). All tables have stains from tea/coffee mugs or alike. A light fixture was missing its cap. Electric plugs in the wall needed fixing.
The provided closet space was ok for my single night, but if you stay up to a week you might not find the available space sufficient... perhaps that's why there's a luggage carrier, so you can keep several items stored in there but still have easy access.

The Bathroom:

It was compact but offered the basic requirements and was very nicely designed in a modern black & white decor. Personally I would love having this bathroom at home!
I read a hairdryer was available upon request at the reception desk (not that I need one but I thought I'd mention it).

Remarks:

Upon check-out the transaction terminal asks you if you would like to give a tip (of 7.5 %). Due to my haste I didn't properly read the text on the terminal and pressed OK and my card-number a second time. Call me oldfashioned (at age 28), but personally I think this should be asked by the reception clerck, not a machine.

Conclusion:

I am aware I booked one of the most basic rooms available, but compared to other Sandton hotels this particular hotel is in need of a basic renovation to handle the minor touch-up it needs.
Still, it's generally well maintained and all the rooms are clean. So for a single solo night I thought this room was adequate. If you're staying longer I'd suggest trying to get a superior room.

Room Tip: Room 307 is located in a short side-hallway on the third floor. There are no floors above this parti...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeroen C

Reviewed 6 November 2013

A very good hotel to stay in if you want to explore, very central and easy to find restaurants ,the shopping is fantastic especially as it is right in the diamond district . The main train station is just at the top of the road even if you are not going anywhere by Train it's worth a look as it is a very impressive building. The Staff at the Hotel are very friendly and are happy to assist with directions to various places or restaurants.We were given a map of the city which was very helpful as it was colour coordinated for the historic, modern, shopping and restaurant areas. Our room was very comfortable nice bed, lovely bathroom very bright and clean.Breakfast was very good plenty of choice,and all was nice and fresh,the coffee was exceptionally nice not wishy washey like some places and was available when and if you wanted if FOC nice touch!!

Room Tip: if you have a particular requirement for bedding etc this can be done we had an extra long length be...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank filetop
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel is a short walk from the central train station (though the street has a different name on that end, so this can be confusing).
The hotel is very clean, our double bed room was great with a super comfy bed (my husband wanted to bring one home with us!) and modern bathroom with a good shower.
The staff were friendly and helpful, and supplied us with information about the city transport and places to go.
The hotel is located off the main business streets so was quiet at night, and I was never afraid to walk down the street at night.
It was a short walk to the central train station, underground, trams and buses so you could get around Antwerp (and to other locations) easily. The main street had a bunch of restaurant and bars (the hotel only offers breakfast) so it wasn't far to go eat nearby. The breakfast was decent and had a variety of foods to eat.
The wi-fi was a bit patchy in the room but the communal lounge it was fine and you could get free coffee and tea at any time.
We stayed 5 nights and are so happy with our stay here that we would recommend this hotel to friends who want to visit Antwerp, and, we want to stay there again when visiting Antwerp in the future. So glad we stayed here (and not in Bruges!)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatriceHR
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have to say, based on some of the previous reviews, I was a little nervous about this hotel. I booked it because it was by far the cheapest 3 star hotel in Central Antwerp. My nerves were unnecessary. It was actually much better than most of the reviews would lead you to believe! The room was a decent size, the bed was massive and extremely comfortable. We didn't have breakfast but when I went to take advantage of the free coffee (how nice to be able to get unlimited cups of free proper coffee, rather than instant, in a hotel), it looks decent. The communal areas were bright and cheery, as was the room itself. My request for a room at the back, in order for it to be quieter, was met. Internet connection is dodgy in the bedrooms, which for a business hotel is not good, but in the communal lounge area downstairs it was just fine. Location was excellent, very central and near to all the main attractions, and convenient for the train station (handy for us, as we were interrailing). Finally, I have to give special praise to the staff, who were superb. Really polite, friendly and helpful. Particular thanks to the guy who rang up the organisers of the World Gymnastics Championships for us to check on what the free travel arrangements were. He was super helpful (he'll probably know who we were from reading this review, so I hope his boss sees it so he can get due praise). T he other staff were all lovely too though, with flawless English.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bendyclaire2013
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I was in Antwerp for about 24 hours in August and it started off with a small disaster: my bag with my hotel bookings, my old tablet and a few other non-critical items was stolen on the train into Antwerp. Note to travellers taking the train in Belgium (and Europe generally): watch your stuff!! Thefts are rampant and criminals will try to distract with various tactics, such as attempting to talk to you or dropping some change under your seat, in order to steal your belongings. Some brazen criminals will just take your stuff and run, especially when the train is stopped at a station with its doors open. I wish a fiery or watery death on all of these criminals.

In any event, when I eventually got wifi and figured out the hotel I was staying at (this one!), I checked in with no problems and got my key. I was at that point told that the elevator was broken and had to lug my large suitcase up three floors. When I got up to my room and went to change some passwords on my online accounts (had to do this due to the theft of the tablet), I found that the wifi was not working. Turns out the internet was down in the whole hotel, other than the front desk.

This is where the great staff came in. I explained my situation and complained to the front desk that the internet was out. The person at the front desk let me use her computer to check my key accounts and reprint some documents. For that, I am very thankful. She was also great at explaining where to go and what to do in Antwerp. Overall, a very positive experience with the people at this hotel.

The room itself was on the small side, but more than enough for one person for one night. The hotel was quite clean and well maintained. If the elevator and wifi are fixed, I would have no issues recommending this hotel. Only potential concern is that this hotel is on a one-way side street and at night it is somewhat dark. People who are very concerned about safety may wish to consider a hotel closer to a well-lit main street. Having said that, I had no actual safety concerns at any time at this hotel or the surrounding areas.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank emjokes
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in July 2013. Very comfortable bed - but which took up most of the room! No drawers at all, and very little hanging space, so a good thing we were on holiday and didn't need to look smart... Breakfast was €12 each!! Near station and good street for restaurants (even though along a tatty road to get there). Air conditioning worked the 3rd night out of 3. Verdict: a place to go on expenses, but not really for your special birthday. PS First place I've had to pay €10 deposit to borrow a hairdryer!

Room Tip: Don't get the basic room, no space, poor value - get a better one
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anna T
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed here for business first and came back another time with my family. Breakfast was good, location in the center of Antwerp. The hotel has there own parkinglot, cost €25 per day. Good for siteseeing and great restaurant nearby. Rooms are clean and nice. Staff friendly. Great for a short vacation.

• Stayed: November 2012