“Almost perfect”

Ranked #18 of 107 Antwerp B&B and Inns
Richmond, California
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I am a regular traveler to Antwerp, Belgium and I eschew major hotels. I prefer the intimacy of Bed and Breakfasts. That being said, I wanted to stay in a new location that offered me value and convenience. I found that in A2 Bed & Breakfast.

Let me start with the location. If you book at this location, make sure to carefully look at Google maps before arriving. The number is very small on the side, and the only reason I was able to find it quickly is because I have a friend who lives in the area. i have been to the same courtyard before so it looked familiar. The B & B is located next to a cafe that serves good food and is a nice place to relax in on a sunny day. You have your choice of MANY different cafes in close proximity, as well as fine dining within five minutes walking distance. The river is also close by.

The hosts are very personable. I arrived earlier than the normal check-in time, but they were able to get me into my room immediately. That is very important to me since it takes 24 hours to travel from the US to Belgium.

Room advice: If you are going to stay here and have any type of mobility issues, request the bottom floor room. There isn't an elevator and you must take stairs to the second floor room and another inner flight to the third floor room. Also, ladies beware: the outside stairs and landing to the second and third floor room are a metal grate. The size of which makes it very difficult to navigate in any type of pointy heel shoe.

Advice to the innkeepers: install a railing for the third floor room. The stairs are very short and steep. A hand rail would make it much easier to walk up and down when tired, or with handling luggage.

Within the room: the room was very clean and had adequate furnishings for my stay. There is a small kitchenette with coffee maker, tea pot, fridge, sink and cupboard. There is no microwave or stove as I have see in other B and Bs in the area. There is a flat-screen TV as well as free wi-fi. There aren't any clocks in the room so if you need to set an alarm, make sure your phone can do that if you bring your own alarm clock.

The food: the breakfast arrives as a time of your request. It is a magnificent meal which includes breads, fruit, seasonal items, pastries, fresh mean, cheese, and fresh-squeeze orange juice. There is also cereal available within the room. If you want to eat some of your breakfast later, make sure to stow the items you want to keep. I left my rolls in the back provided on the counter and they were removed while the room was refreshed. I didn't know that any food left out would be taken away....

This location does not accept credit cards upon check out, so make sure that you have cash on hand for that occasion. I wasn't aware of this when checking in. It wasn't a problem, but it might not be easy for others to obtain cash on short notice.

I will return to this location when I come back to Antwerp. I have found a new home away from home.

Room Tip: Book well in advance.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Gabi_EastBay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 13 December 2010

As far as B&Bs go, this is ideal. The location is great - about a 5 minute walk to the centre of Antwerp, and very close to plenty of fabulous restaurants. However, it was a little difficult to find at first, without any major signage out the front.
The room we had was large and modern, very clean and well-equipped with a mini kitchen (very handy!). The bathroom was tiny, but perfectly adequate.
The hosts were relaxed, friendly and always willing to help in whatever way possible, and breakfast was fabulous. Having the little basket delivered to the door every morning was a lovely touch..and all the goodies were fresh and delicious.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2010

My boyfriend, two friends and I arrived to Antwerp and were greeted with a warm welcome by the B&B owners. The location is great on lovely square, and they have a private courtyard and beautiful building. There are a few great bars / restaurants 20 seconds from the B&B but you don't hear a peep when you get into the room. It's less then 10 minute walk to the Grotemarket - great to be away from the touristy area. It was 10pm when we arrived but they were very friendly, not in a rush and offering advice on where to go out, places to see etc. The rooms are lovely and modern, warm and welcoming and very clean. The beds were great and we slept very well. The next morning we opened our door to find a basket full of treats (it was like Christmas morning). I'm vegan and they went out of their way to provide a variety of food for breakfast - I was very impressed by their attention to detail. Delicious and substantial! Great touches like a nespresso machine in the room, great teas etc.. The owners were incredibly friendly and are getting the B&B business just right. Well done!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
CARDIFF. WALES
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I had never been to Antwerp before. The owner of A2 met us at the Central Rail Station. (No charge of course) He and his wife were charming and could not do enough to help. There are 4 rooms at the moment. Each room as a super size bed, shower room, small kitchen area, fridge, sink etc., In the fridge was jam, butter, milk etc., Coffee machine was a lovely added bonus. You enter the inner courtyard from the square through a large what appears a security door. Within, the rooms are off this courtyard. I liked particularly the morning continental breakfast. Delivered outside your door in a wicker red-riding hood basket with a tea cloth over. Inside were Croissants, Bread Rolls, Parma ham and cheese. Also freshly squeezed orange. The owner even took us to the station on our last day. Right outside a was a tram terminus. (Dont worry couldn't even hear them) Restaurants very nearby. Also near to the River Schelde (?) and the Ship musuem. City centre and cathedral is a short walk away along the river. Trams every few minutes until mid evening into town area. Another nice touch were biscuits in a box in the room baked to say A2B&B.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends