Theater Hotel
US$105
US$100
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Astoria Hotel Antwerp(Antwerp)(Great Value!)
US$99
Crowne Plaza Antwerpen(Antwerp)(Great Value!)
US$112
US$84
US$76
ibis
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrouser pressrubens houseminimal lightingnice hotelcity attractionspopular hotelsaturday and sundayfourth floorvaried breakfastwithin walking distanceexcellent locationmini barcentral locationrooms are spaciousdirect accesswould definitely stay here againeuropean hotels
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Lovely hotel, good location, brilliant breakfasts, large rooms, spotlessly clean and really friendly and helpful staff. It feels like 'real' Antwerp rather than some of the more bog standard places. It was my husband's 80th birthday and going to Antwerp was a part of his present as he had been there as a young man in the Merchant Navy - it didn't disappoint in any way so well done Theatre Hotel - when we go back to Antwerp that is where we will stay - they even have parking!

Room Tip: 4th floor very quiet, elevator access.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My parents and my boyfriend and I stayed at the Theater Hotel in December to visit Antwerp’s lovely Christmas markets, and to take day trips to Brussels and Brugge.

The hotel is conveniently located just a few minutes’ walk from the main shopping street of Antwerp and easy to reach by car. On foot, the Christmas stalls were about a 10 min’s walk (although the market is quite spread out so if you want to see all of it then you’re looking at roughly 30 min). The main train station as well as the diamond district are a bit further out; around a 15 min’s walk.

We requested rooms away from each other and away from the elevator (after reading they were noisy) and this was no problem at all. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was decent and staff was friendly.

Minor remark - you have to pay to use the wifi.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel in July 2012 and found it pleasant and pretty central, with spacious rooms, friendly staff and really good breakfasts. So when I needed to go to Antwerp again this year, I didn't even consider other options.

This was a mistake. The breakfasts are still very good but the standards in other areas have slipped, and on day one of my stay my laptop was stolen out of my room. I had left it wrapped in my clothes in the cupboard, because the safe in the room was not big enough to store it, which means someone rifled through all my things to get to it. I find this unacceptable; how dare a stranger touch my clothes?

I also found the night clerk to whom I reported the theft completely unhelpful, and the day receptionist the following morning of no use whatsoever. The hotel has full keycard access, which means the only people with access to the room were me and the staff. But since I was told that "we had never had a problem with the lady who works on that floor and she's been with us for a long time" in a rather condescending tone of voice, I guess I must have stolen my laptop myself and made an unnecessary fuss about it...

I realise that it is my responsibility to look after my property, but the onus should be on the hotel to provide adequate facilities to store their guests' valuables. I won't even get into the fact that, on the same trip, I stayed in two hotels in Amsterdam and a hotel in Prague, and no valuables were stolen out of my room at any of them, despite the fact that my friends were not always vigilant about storing their smartphones and iPads in the safe.

I won't be going back to Theater Hotel, and if you choose to stay there, just be warned that you need to either lock your electronics in your suitcase or not bring them at all (tricky when you're travelling on business, I'd say) - especially if you're staying on the fifth floor.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ania R
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We had a quite big double room with a very comfortable bed, nice bathroom, and full breakfast. The location is great, just a bit removed from "center". But there are lots of nice local bars and cafes just steps away. There is also a great market just outside on weekends. It is also within walking distance of all the sites you'd want to see.

Just a few minor cons: bad lighting so it's hard to get ready at the mirror in the room and the bathroom. The hallway is VERY hot so you nearly break into a sweat getting to and from your room.

Other than that I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Came back to the hotel after staying in a couple of other properties in Antwep

Plus points are good beds, great location, great reception staff, excellent breakfast which was included in the rate (even in a discounted rare)

Negative
, rooms are still adequate but decor is about 10 years out of date, same for bathrooms. Especially in Antwerp which is a hip / stylish place, updating the rooms and given them a minimalistic look would make this hotel one of the most sought after properties. Changing bathroom to morn shower rooms would again be a big improvement ( you have already a great water pressure, a problem in many other hotels)

Part from all the negatives,will still come back as you cannot vest the location or the value for money. Grat find if you do not want to pay the rip-off stew charged in th Hilton

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family