“Lovely Hotel with Great Location”
Review of De Keyser Hotel

De Keyser Hotel
Ranked #41 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I boooked this hotel and then read the reviews so was dreading it, however what a pleasant surprise I had in store. We had one of the refurbished rooms on the 7th floor which was air conditioned and had bath with shower above. Check in was easy and staff very friendly providing us with a map of the city centre so we could explore.
Hotel in right in the middle of the diamond district and museum is worth a look as is the lovely train station. Great if you have come to Antwerp for shopping.
Breakfast was also good and service friendly and efficient. The only down side was the leisure facilities were closed for refurbishment, which did not bother us as only staying the one night.
Parking is 12 euros per 24 hour stay in the shopping centre car park which is half the advertised price for hotel guests. Lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance.
would definately stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for De Keyser Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2010

By watchfull when using payment card for deposit. After arrival they made on my payment card blockage for triple higher amount than the expected cost of my stay were. During check out they had wrong terminal and I could not pay with this card. Even if i paid all my bills, they did not cancle the blockage for more than 1 month.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Skaneko
Reviewed 30 May 2010

This hotel is very close to the railway station and so it was good to not walk far. However if you end up with a room at the back as we did then not only will you be kept awake by the noise from the train announcements but also the echo of the pigeons due to the shape of the back yard of the hotel. The noise was incessant during daylight hours - which in May is no joke. The room itself was a special deal from experian - but that appeared to mean no tea or coffee making facilities and an option of paying an extra twenty euros each for breakfast! Not a good deal when you can get coffee and a croissant down the road for five euros. The room also had lights under the table which did not appear to have a light switch and so if you needed it to be dark you had to stuff a pillow in front of them. Finally the room appeared to have an ants nest in it - which was surprising when it was eight floors up. On the good side the staff were not rude - and when the safe in the room went wrong they did sort it out after some prompting - but they left the debris from the angle grinder all over the floor so you could not walk on the floor bare footed without getting metal splinters.

Reviewed 12 May 2009

The only good thing is that the bed was wonderful. We had a top-floor suite, the doors to the terrace were broken, so the rooms could not be locked. The jacuzzi was dirty and the water had a particular smell, like the sewers. When I dropped the soap in the shower, I could not pick it up because of the size of the shower!! In the morning we had breakfast in a dark room, the chief had not arrived yet and she had the key which gave access to the light switch!!!??? The water for tea was not even warm and the poorly Dutch spoken girls were not available for help most of the time. We were very glad we were leaving! This is no 4 stars hotel, maybe 1!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marieke10
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I was supposed to stay at the Empire Hotel (their sister dump) down the street, but when I arrived there, the front desk person (no greeting, just a low grunt) told me that they didn't have a record of my reservation nor did they have a room. After five minutes of ruffling through papers, she told me to go back down the street from where I came and the de Keyser would have a room for me. Sure enough, they did have a room for me; for my trouble, they upgraded me to what they called a junior suite, which was amply proportioned and for which I would have been grateful considering how much I was paying (70 euros).

Instead of gratitude, however, I was as horrified as if I had just been given a cold sore. The place was filthy. Corroded, crunchy stuff on the linoleum floor. Plastic bits and other yucky morsels on the carpet. Mystery stains on the countertops. Now, it wasn't so dirty that I felt like going downstairs and insisting it be cleaned (again?) or be given a different room (another suite, perhaps?) but it was dirty enough that I did what my grandmother would do: I wiped all the surfaces down with a wet towel. I slept in my clothes. I woke early, took one look at the breakfast, and got out of there.

The de Keyser might seem inexpensive for a so-called four-star hotel (who assigns these ratings?!), but that's because it's a dump, and a dump across the street from a train station cannot get away with charging too much more than dump prices. Don't even think about it, okay?

One more thing: I would have given a lower rating that 2/5 but I didn't feel unsafe there, just unclean.

Oh, one more thing: a health-club is advertised but don't believe it. It's "under renovation" until the summer. Hah!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank NewYorkStories
Reviewed 10 April 2009

I booked this hotel over the internet, I stayed for only one night as I was going for business, normally I stay at Ramada Plaza which is a luxurious hotel but far from the centre of Antwerp, this time I chose this hotel for convenient centre location which turned out to be great, I stayes in a room which was fine, my boss stayed in the next room which was unfortunately a bad one, tv was not working & he also complained about few other things like the the light at the entrance which used to light up every time he turned in his bed. the breakfast was really good but the worst about it was the parking in case you have a car, the nearest parking was further on a side road in a public car park.. other than that I can't complain, the room was clean & you could watch nice channels on the flat screen tv. . oh there is one more thing, no free wifi internet available & I had to pay 10 euro for a one hour wireless connection in the the room while mcDonald's which was next to the hotel had free wireless connection for its customers. overall rating good. may go again for good value.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2009

I did book the Alfa Keyser for Valentine's week-end. After booking I looked at tripadvisor .Oh no, those reviews, all other hotels were fully booked - what to do? I called to the Alfa hotel and was honnest about what I have seen on the internet, and that I only liked to visit the hotel in a nice renovated room - no problem , I was prommised a clean, big, quiet room. And yes the room was spacy (at least 25/30 sq. m., the batroom was big 8 sq.m. , senseo coffeemaker cable t.v. internet acces in the room, nice big bed with extra pillows to watch the t.v., minibar, safe, enough wardrobe . The breakfast was very busy, but there was a good choise of bread (6/7 different rolls) croisants,pastry, boiled eggs,scrammbled eggs, cheese, ham, fresh vegetables, yoghurts, pancakes, marmelades etc.etc. maybee the coffee was the only thing we didnot like (did you ever had good coffee at the hotelbreakfast?) better try the tea. Also we did park our car in the diamant parking around the corner and that was only a few euro's.
The room was clean but not spotless, the staff was very friendly and helpfull.
We did not understand why so many bad reviews are on tripadvisor? we liked it, the spot is perfect 1 min. from the station right in de middle of all the shops and restaurants.
If all the hotels we will visit in the future are the same standard as the ALFA KEYSER we would be happy. Go there ask mr. Lesley for a new room . price was also a suprise, we paid € 160,= for 2 nights for 2 incl. the breakfast. absolutly **** stars .
2 older ladies from Amsterdam who travelled the world.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple