Century Hotel
  • Fitness centre
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsopposite the railway stationtravelling by trainclean hotelthe main shopping areaminute walkshort stayzootaxis
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 March 2011

The staff here is very friendly and for the location (just across from Antwerp Central Train Station) and price, the rooms are nice. That being said, the heating in the room is climate controlled by the hotel (meaning you have little to no control of the temperature). It varies only 2 degrees from what is outside and further another 2 degrees if you prefer it warmer. So, do the math?

10 degrees C outside?
12 degrees C inside
14 degrees C inside is all that is possible. (we were told MAYBE possible after the technician arrives and that the increase in warmth could still take hours).

We explained that due to health issues, we must have a comfortably warm room and because we booked in advance and did not stipulate that a "warmer than normal" room was necessary, we could not receive a refund. Hmm...who knew that requesting a warm room during winter weather would be necessary?

Further, the water is very hot, but the bathroom is so cold, forget it. No showering comfortably in this place.

The hotel (nearly 150 rooms) is completely booked and we are the only ones complaining. Maybe because they are all cold natured and coming from countries covered in snow this time of year? Who knows, but for this girl from the Southern US, this room was miserable no matter how nice they could make it look and my fiance ran too many health issues to stay. Pity. People are nice and so is the hotel.

So, if you're warm natured, this is a nice place. FYI, I didn't see any bed bugs (as stated in another review). I travel to NYC frequently on business and know how to check for them and saw none.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2011

the hotel lobby and restaurant seemed to have had the most money put into but apart from that there was nothing really bad to say! everyone is complaining about the rooms, yes they are small and the view from the the wasnt that nice but lets face were in the middle of a city and you are only in there to sleep. i had a maid everyday and she seemed to do a great job. the only real dig i have to say about the hotel was that the continental breakfast wasn't that great and they probably could of done with a toaster!!.. apart from that the hotel staff were nice and the hotel was quiet. definatley recommend if your looking somewhere cheap to stay in the city plus its right in the centre! wouldnt really judge the hotel on the room size though and i will say it again you will only use it to sleep in!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I travelled with my boyfriend to attend Gay Leather Pride in Antwerp. The hotel was listed as an official partner, with 'exclusive rates'.

Firstly the room- I could not swing a cat in it, let alone the other things we had in mind for the trip. It was grubby, uncomfortable, depressing and gloomy. And the beds were designed for Mini Me.

The WiFi had a mind of its own and was as reliable as an English summer.

The facilities were non-existent, the staff, save for one girl, totally unfriendly, and for a gay-friendly hotel, had a couple of guys on the desk that simply sneered every time we walked past. They were so dumb they could not even order a taxi on the right day let alone the right time.

The rates- YES THEY HAD ACTUALLY HAD THE TEMERITY TO INFLATE THE RATES FOR PRIDE ATTENDEES BY 10 EUROS!! Walk in guests were paying 70. When challanged we were told we had a 'superior' room, which was clearly rubbish, as I asked to see the others and there were none.

Breakfast- well if you have a thing for 3 day old croissants, this is the place for you. Diabolical.

Location- backs on to a station, nuff said.

All in all a total rip off, insulting in terms of the price inflation, and simply one of the lowest value experiences of my travelling life.

Shame on you. Absolutely diabolical.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jakey_333
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I didn't have the time to browse through reviews so booked this place for its proximity to the station. Fatal error I hear you say.
Where to start? The bathroom didn't have any heating - and it was snowing outside. The room had a primitive non-thermostat heater - woke up in the middle of the night to unbearable radiator heat. The room lacked any sort of character. The window was tiny. The bed was actually two singles put together. The duvet was dirty. The mattress was old and uncomfortable. The hotel seems to have recently been renovated but it's the kind of place that will be run down in a decade, tops. I'm being critical most of all because of the price for what I got: 84 € per night for that? Never again. Spend 10 euro more and stay at any of the other hotels in the central station neighbourhood.
Consolations: free wifi, breakfast included.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BPEC
Reviewed 28 October 2010

We had booked this hotel with a reputable firm and when we arrived the staff said there was no record of the booking at all and we had to pay another 60Eur. On top of that the room was very basic and not as clean as I would have liked. On our first night a group of youngsters partied in the corridor very loudly for some considerable time only quietening down (eventually) after I asked them to. I had not realised I was paying full whack for a room next to dorm.
I would not go again and advise others to do the same.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple