“Something Seems Missing...”

Crowne Plaza Antwerpen
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 13 April 2008

First impressions are of a high rise concrete ediface next to the ring road are not the most welcoming! No amount of foliage and flags can bring this round, so something inside needs to be good; it's not, sadly. The reception is to the right, round a corner past some large posts and the bar and restaurant are to the left of the main entrance. When you walk in, you see a wall and some large posts. The reception staff have always been friendly on all the occassions I've stayed.
The rooms. The higher up you are, the further from the traffic noise of the ring road (especially on the northerly end of the building). I have had some tired rooms a while back but everything seems refurbished now so they're fine. They will upgrade you for €30 (if I recall correctly) so even if you're Platinum Priority Club member you'll not get an upgrade as they have their own programme.
The bar. A rather unremarkable place to be.
The hotel is not central, but there is a bus stop outside with buses 17 (Centraal Station) and 22 (Groenplatz) costing €1.60 single. The ride takes 15 minutes and is worth it as Antwerp has so much to offer.
I have heard the gym and pool are good, but I've yet to test them.
As hotels go, it's okay, but it needs something, character perhaps.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
IngeCrownePlaza, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2008

Thank you for your feedback, we will still continue to renovate the hotel and will do our utmost to give it a special " caracter".
Ideas are always welcome as we find feedback of our guests very important.

Hope to meet you during your next visit in Crowne Plaza Antwerp!.

Reviewed 6 March 2008

The rooms are average in size and it all looks okay. Bathroom is a bit bigger than normal. What i didn't like is the overkill of mirrors in the room/bathroom on the closet etc etc. It's a good thing is that the windows open so you can get some fresh air, but the hotel is located next to the ring road (highway) of antwerp so you do get some traffic noise if you do. Breakfast is good and the staff is friendly and will help you out if needed. Overall my stay here was okay....... but nothing special.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2008

Crowne Plaza should be something of which something can be expected. I paid a reduced early booking rate of 124 Euro, the normal would be around 150.

Yet considering the price, the only things very acceptable were cleanliness of room and bath and extreme friendliness of staff.
Breakfast would have been 24 Euro extra, so did not take it. 24 Euro for a tea and two bowls of cornflakes, what usually is my breakfast would simply stick in my throat.

Key critical points are noisy from the motorway next to the hotel. Somebody really should have invested in good noise insulation when building the hotel.

Second is the spa. It really is well equipped, but:
-paint peeling off the steam room
-steam room probably should have scented like eucalyptus, but it smelled like very rotten eucalyptus, also noted by others attempting to use it.
-one of two showers broken in the sauna
-dark stains in the only operational shower
-a strange floatation on the cold plunge bath water surface

There is apparently WLAN, but didnt use it.
Paid parking is outside of the hotel, though very close next to the main road there are many other free places.
It is close to nothing, except the trade fair and the motorway exit (Wilrijk, I think), literally within walking distance. You see the hotel towering next to the motorway.

Wont stay again, not at that price. This is no value for that kind of money.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2007

As a consultant I am traveling quite a lot and spend more nights in a hotel than beeing home.
My current project is located in Antwerp. The first hotel I tested was the Crowne Plaza.
1.) Location:
The Crowne Plaza is located a little bit outside of Antwerp, directly next to the city ring.
2.) Parking:
There is a parking available, it's located next to the entrance. The parking fee was 10Euro for an overnight stay.
3.) Rate:
I booked a standard room on the day of arrival for 145€ (it's cheaper booking more in advance, of course)
4.) Arrival, Staff:
For BeNeLux Hotels, the Entrance Hall makes a good impression.I arrived pretty late in the hotel and still the reception staff was friendly. After all formalities had been settled, I missed a short introduction to the hotel. I was just told where the elevator was, nothing more.
5.) Room:
The room keys are keycards with a magnetic stripe you need to swipe through a reader to unlock the door. It worked fine for me, but some of the people on the same floor had to try several times to open the door.
The inerior of the room was clean but old fashioned. The TV had an approprieate size but my remote was already broken.
Bathroom was ok, but as often in old hotels, there was no separate Shower cabin. The bath tub had a curtain around for showering. That is one thing I really don't like, as those cutrains most of the time look ugly with some nasty mildew on it. The one in my room did not make an exception... :-(
The Minibar was an electronically monitored one, so don't try to play around with the stuff in it, it get's immediatelly charged to your bill. The prices have been pretty expensive, unfortunately I didn't write them down.
6.) Internet:
I often use Internet to keep in touch with all my friends in the evenings. Therefore I regard a working Internet connection as a very important feature in a hotel.
WiFi was not working in my room, it seemed, that I was too far away from access point. There was also a cat 5 cable available to go online. That worked well, but pretty slow. A very ridiculous fact was the price. They asked 25€ for a full day and 5€ for an hour. Nowadays I think this is not adequate anymore
7.) Food:
I just stayed 2 nights in the hotel and always arrived at the hotel pretty late. Therefore I had a Club Sandwich in the Bar the first night. The Restaurant was closed already so that was the only choice. The sandwich together with a Coke Light was 14€ The waiter this night was pretty ingnorring and unfriendly. The next day I was reading through the hotel description provided in a folder in my room and found a room service menu with a nice spaghetti Bolognese for 12€ plus 6€ room service fee.
As I hate to eat on the room, I decided to go downstairs to the restaurant and ask for the spaghetti. Unfortunately I got to know, that the room service menu is not available for sale anywhere else than the room. I think that is pretty strange. I ended up with a Hamburger in the bar again with a coke light for 16€
8.) Overall:
For a short stay ok, Internet is far too expensive. Staff could be much friendlier, especially in the bar.
Not a hotel I would recommend to a friend... I will search further

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2007

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning and end of a week-long coach trip through Bavaria with Leger Holidays. The room allocated to us on our inbound journey was very nice - comfortable, well-kept, clean and had clearly had a proper house-keeping check - and was on the sixth floor. However, we stayed at the same hotel on the way back and were allocated a second fllor room. It was AWFUL. It was much, much smaller than the previous room we'd had, had clearly not been occupied for some time, and was in dire need of a wash and brush-up. Deeply disappointing aspects include: only one (very inadequate) pillow each provided; un-hoovered, rather grotty looking carpet and a large dirty smudge on the skirting board; a 'complimentary' bottle of water so ancient that when poured out, a limescale ring was visible around in the inside of the bottle (and no bottle-opener was provided, either); some of the complimentary bathroom freebies were missing; incessant traffic noise from the motorway only feet away from the hotel (highlighting the need for improved double-glazing); similarly incessant interruption to sleep caused by every possible plumbing noise intruding from adjoining/upstairs/downstairs rooms - when the loo was flushed elsewhere, the noise was unbelievable!....And God help you if a neighbour has a shower...If you stay here, insist on a higher floor and an acceptably clean and quiet room.

• Stayed: December 2006
3  Thank llamafarm
Reviewed 24 August 2006

I stayed at the CP for business meetings (mainly because the Radisson was full). I was happy to fly home.

The hotel is next to the highway, it's loud even with a high floor and on the other side of the building. It's not close to the city center. The rooms are oldish and more or less clean. Somebody screwed up and I ended up with a smoking room, the hotel was full, so was stuck in it for one night....

The staff at the front desk was helpful, the bar is not special but we enjoyed the atmosphere as it was during the soccer world cup.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank nico_ch
Reviewed 9 May 2006

My wife and I with two friends stayed at this hotel on Tuesday 2nd May 2006 for one night,
we were all impressed by the professional and efficient staff at this hotel, nothing was to much trouble for them, the rooms were very clean and big enough for a short stay, if we stay longer next time! we would go for a larger room, there is a swimming pool and fitness centre at the hotel, but as we only had one night we did not use these, there is a very large car park that costs extra but outside the hotel is free parking, we would recomend this hotel and the staff in perticular very highly

2  Thank Trevor O