“Great hotel for business - service was great!”

Crowne Plaza Antwerpen
Ranked #12 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel for business - service was great!”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Antwerp for a business meeting and I was extremely satisfied with the hotel and its staff team members. I would definitely recommend for business and leisure travellers alike.

The hotel is located a bit out of the centre of Antwerp, and my taxi cost about €14 from the Centraal station. The decoration throughout was very modern and with lovely modern touches. There is even a 'food shop' located near the reception, with sandwiches, snacks, drinks etc, which I thought it was quite handy if you are in a hurry. Check-in was very smooth and the receptionist was very nice and welcoming.

I was given a room on the 11th floor, with nice views to the park. Size was good and decoration was also very modern. Room was very clean, with all the amenities you'd get in a business hotel.

I had dinner at their Anna restaurant, and it was very good. The service was a bit slow, however the team members were working really hard, as the restaurant was quite full. Service, again, was very good, with the waitress being quite friendly. Breakfast was very good also, a lot of variety, much more than you'd normally get (at least in the UK!), there were many hot items, but I really enjoyed the choices with the cold meats, cheeses and 6 types of bread and bread rolls!

As I delivered a training at this hotel, I really enjoyed their meeting rooms and their food options. The meeting room was located on the last floor, with amazing views from the top. The food was really good and with great presentation - I had to take a picture, it was really different from what I'm used to in hotels across the UK. The team members were very helpful, and really helped me to have a great and productive meeting.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Dear JulesM2012,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive experience here on Tripadvisor.
I’m very glad to read that you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay and meeting here at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen!

It gives me great pleasure to share your kind words with my whole team.

We look forward to welcoming you back should you travel to Antwerpen again !

Hans Wils

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We did a overnight trip to Antwerp from Mons. I had searched the internet to find the best deal on a place to stay, and booked this hotel through Hotwire for 42 EUR for the night. I was delighted at the price.

The cons:
- A bit far from city center & train station... about a 17 EUR cab ride from the Grand Bazaar.
- Did not have enough staff to cover the front desk during check-in/check-out times.
- A bit loud in the hallways during the late Saturday-early Sunday timeframe (this was due to other guests stumbling to their rooms)

The pros:
- Free WiFi
- Well maintained facilities
- Rooms were comfortable
- Staff were courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: Use Hotwire's Hot Rate for a "4-Star in Antwerp". I snagged the room for 42 EUR (rough...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Dgedutis
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor.
We value any feedback we receive, as this is the base for us to improve our service.
It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed our facilities and our courteous staff during your stay!
We look forward to welcoming you again during a next trip to Antwerp!
Kind regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This is an average Crowne Plaza Hotel. I paid an extra 10 euro's per night at the time of booking hoping to get a larger room - but all I seem to have is some smellies to put on the pillow to help with sleep.
The minibar was empty except for the usual two free bottles of water. A sign advised that it was for our own use but there was no temperature control and it was warm. Certainly the cans from the car were a lot cooler than those from the fridge.
I am a platinum Priority Club member and I thought this entitled me to a room upgrade, but my room was fairly standard. The hotel acknowledged my platinum status with a free drink for one and 10% off in the bar/restaurant. As there were two in our party I thought this a bit mean. We dined on the first night. The restaurant was chaotic. A total of four persons served us which probably was the reason why the bread we ordered with two separate people did not ever arrive. The food itself was good - well cooked and a good sized portion.
The hotel is close to a very busy motorway and, although double glazed, I found that the traffic noise awoke me at 5.30am.
The staff were pleasant and efficient, even though very busy. A new innovation to me was that a 5 euro voucher was issued ( to spend in the bar/restaurant ) for any day you did not require the room to be serviced.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces away from the motorway.
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Dear neilmorris838

Thank you for taking your time to post your experience here on TripAdvisor and providing us with feedback.
This gives us a good base to further improve our service.

As a Platinum Priority Club Member you are entitled to a complimentary upgrade, based upon availability.
I will share your comments regarding your restaurant experience with our F&B Team to avoid similar experiences in the future.

Thank you again for your appreciated feedback and we hope to welcome you again during a next visit to Antwerp!

mumbai
Reviewed 22 May 2013

At the time of check in on 14th May I presented my credit card as a guarantee. I was told by the receptionist that my card was not authorised" so I paid a CASH deposit of 50 Euro. On check out I paid in CASH for my dinner and a breakfast. When I left the hotel I got an alert from my card company that my card had been charged for 21 Euro by the Crowne Plaza hotel. I called them and it took them many hours to look into it. I had to go back to the hotel and talk to the manager to get my money credited back to my account.
I find this very unethical, if in the first place my card was not authorised and they took a cash deposit how did they charge the card when I left. Also, when I have paid in cash how can they ever charge my card. I will remain suspicous of this hotel and never ever give them my card details. It is frightening to realise that a hotel can charge your card without your knowledge if they have the details.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear RudeTravel,

As explained by our manager on duty and commented on your facebook post before, you were unfortunately charged twice for the breakfast, both at the Front Desk as at the restaurant self. The credit card provided upon check-in was used for the payment of the breakfast with an automated approval.
As soon as this was brought to our attention your card has been refunded immediately.

As we are a PCI-compliant hotel, your credit card details are protected and the protection of this sensitive information is one of our top priorities.

I deeply regret the fact that this impacted your stay at our hotel badly.
Once again our apologies for the miscommunication.

Stratford upon Avon
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The first pleasing thing about Antwerp's Crowne Plaza is that it is easy to find. It stands several stories higher than any building nearby so driving to it is a piece of proverbial cake.

The next pleasant surprise is the ample free parking on the opposite side of the road. And although the hotel is a good distance from the city centre there is a tram stop around the corner and a taxi rank outside the hotel.

There is also a petrol station right next door, so stocking up on refreshments and snacks is possible without paying hotel prices.

The hotel itself is a delight. The reception area is cavernous, modern and beautifully furnished in an 80s glass and chrome kind of way. The rooms are exactly as you would predict, with a big comfy bed and nice quality furnishings, all decked out in a contemporary dark neutral style.

As ever, the unexpected bonus - the service over and above the call of duty - was the thing that made our stay here special. We had the misfortune of having our car broken into in Antwerp city centre. Thankfully nothing was stolen, but our immediate worry was how to (a) secure our car for the night, and (b) arrange a replacement window in a foreign city in a Saturday morning. The young chap at reception was superb. He rang around the window repairers, acted as interpreter, drew me a map, and even found a place where I could get a temporary plexi-glass window fitted FREE OF CHARGE! This enabled me to get home safely to Blighty, and sort things out properly on the insurance.

So, top marks for going the extra mile. All round, a very impressive place, and jolly good value too. Such good value in fact, that I felt slightly guilty about smuggling crisps and beer in from next door.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
DearAllanza

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with fellow travellers here on TripAdvisor!

It gives me great pleasure to share your comments with my team.
We strive to provide every guest with the highest levels of customer service on a daily basis.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again when you travel back to Antwerp!

Soest, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Crowne Plaza Antwerp. What a perfect location, excellent hotel, friendly and professional staff. Free parking is available accross from the hotel and then bus 70 takes you within 10 mnutes to the city centre in Antwerp. We ate our evening meal in the hotel bar which was very good, food was well presented and very tasty. The pool is brilliant, the kids had a ball:)
We will definately be returning, great hotel and excellent value

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear LizB2013

Thank you very much for your positive review about your stay at Crowne Plaza Antwerp!

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the service you received during your stay and that you were able to enjoy your visit to the city of Antwerp with your kids, inside and outside of our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again when you travel to Antwerp again!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The check in counter was full of new arrivals due to a tour group coming in. The hotel staff was excellent in getting us to our rooms quickly due to the well staffed check in counter.

The only reason I am not giving a 5 star is because of what another person already gave in a review, inability to control temperature in the room.

Overall good facility for a weekend trip away from home. Nice and courteous staff.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the west side sun sets in rooms are hot in the evenings.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank spicyjamaicangirl
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear Spicyjamaicangirl

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

Your kind comments regarding our hotel and our team members have been shared with our team, and we hope to welcome you back if you visit our beautiful city again!

Kind regards