“Not impressed at all” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 71 Hotels in Antwerp
Brussels, Belgium
“Not impressed at all”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I travel a lot, both for business and pleasure, and often stay at crown plaza brand hotels.
In my opinion, this hotel does not qualify to be a crowne plaza brand. For many reasons, the most important being the lack of hospitality and the rooms.
The rooms are not at all comparable to other crowne plaza locations, nor is the service. As a platinum member I always book the standard room, knowing that I will get an upgrade and free breakfast. Not at this hotel. When I mentioned it at the reception they told me I could just pay for breakfast for 21 eur pp, while in the booking rate it was 10 eur for up to 2p.
They also gave me a checkout time of 2pm, standard for platinum, but I was locked out of my room at noon, coming from the pool, wearing a bathrobe... Other people from our group were also locked out of their rooms when coming back from the spa area or from the hotel bar.
The receptionists are Dutch and I heard them tell another guest they could not speak French, which is very strange, knowing French is a national language in Belgium and hotels in Belgium should at least speak their country's languages. Some people at the front desk acted as if you bothered them when asking a question.
The rooms were sub par for the Crowne Plaza brand. They looked like a much cheaper brand and were noisy. Moreover the plastic 'eco friendly announcement' attached to the bathroom wall contained a huge spelling mistake.
The hotel is located close to a highway, far from the city center.
One plus: the gym and pool area were nice, but the steam room wasn't working. there was a phone, but without a number to call in case of a problem, so one should get dressed again and go back to the reception area...
Summary of my stay: unprofessional and no clue what hospitality is about. Never again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank QuipQue
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear QuepQue,

First of all, thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

As you might be aware, a complimentary upgrade for our IHG Rewards Platinum Elite guests is based upon availability, and unfortunately on the day of your stay, our hotel was fully booked.
Therefore, the room you booked was the room you received.

French is a national language at the hotel and even though not all our staff speaks French perfectly, there is always someone available to assist you in French.
Should you require French assistance, please do not hesitate to ask as we will provide you with someone to help you in your native language.

However, we’d like to thank you for your points of feedback, and please know that you can always contact us during your stay, in order for us to assist you.

It is our daily goal to provide every guest with a good stay and a great service experience, and if you notice something which is not as you expected, you can always notify us in order for us to adjust the exception in our daily high standard.

We have checked your comments concerning both the spelling mistake, where the American English way of writing has been used instead of British English, and we will take this into consideration in our next print.

We have enlarged the emergency number on our phones in order for all our guests to read the number correctly.

Thank you very much for your appreciated feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in order to prove you that your experience was an exception in our daily operations.
Kind regards

Hans Wils

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Greek first
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed here in November for a weekend.
Let's start with the bad : the location is not good if you are travelling by foot. Different story if you are by car because it's right next to the Antwerp ring.

When I arrived to check in my IHG platinum status was immediately acknowledged and was offered an upgrade from a standard to a superior room. The room itself was very spacious, clean and the view was wonderful (6th floor). Wifi service was good, with a timeout disconnect every now and then but that that didn't pose a problem.

A very good hotel in terms of value for money! I would certainly return here, but I'd need a car first.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear BeukT

Thank you very much for sharing your travel experience here on TripAdvisor.
I’m very happy to read that you enjoyed the service and quality you received at our hotel.
Unfortunately we are not located in the city center, however, we do have local bus connections or taxi service that takes you from the hotel to the city center within 10 minutes on a regular basis.

I hope you will be able to enjoy your future visit and if you have any questions about transportation, it’d be our pleasure to assist you.

Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Pros:
Amazing pool, saunas and fitness center. Good breakfast, nice bar. Modern clean rooms, very good price.

You can park outside in the front of the hotel for free (street parking, don't pay the expensive hotel parking). It is quieter if you get a room in a higher level and not facing the roads.

Cons:
A bit understaffed, reception was too full on Friday afternoon and they could not give attention like maps, etc.

Bar closed at midnight on Saturday, it was a bit full, could be open until at least 1:00 or 2:00 on Fridays and Saturdays.

Location is off the center, you need to grab a tram that and it takes 10-15 min or a taxi that can cost max. 15 EUR.

Room Tip: Get a superior room, ask for high floor and on the back not facing the roads (less noisy). I heard t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LeonardoMG
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Leonardo,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with fellow travellers.

I'm glad you enjoyed your total stay.

I'd like to thank you as well for pointing out some areas of improvement, as this is our base to grow in guest experience.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen!

Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I like the style of this hotel. From the outside it looks old, but inside it's really nice.
A very warm welcome to start with, rooms are clean but nothing special.

In contrary of other reviews here, I had no problem at all with my wifi connection.
The pool and fitness are really great, not hidden away in a basement but in broad daylight.

Located near the ring road, but the local bus takes you to the center.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Mrtravelman87,

Thank you very much for your review here on TripAdvisor.

I’m glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us and the service you received during your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen!

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I booked and payed a room with agoda website, but the hotel still charged me for my stay.
At the check out they said the payment was okay, but when i saw my creditcard payments they have charged my stay without notice. They have my email and phonenumber....
What kind of service is this, and they want you to become member of crown plaza club and all.
And the worst of all is that i havent received any receipt from crown plaza for my payment.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Kairi_Li

Unfortunately your review does not cover the service level or stay experience at our hotel, only a general billing issue with a third party vendor, which has been resolved in the meantime.

Hans Wils

Travellers are raving about these Antwerp hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

My wife and I joined a large group of friends for a 6 day break. I agree with other reports that the Bar/Restaurant is expensive, but there is a gas station next door for food, wine and snacks if your tastes are not always cordon Bleu!! The room was a little too hot and we could not get the AC to cool it down ( not sure it was working). Despite these gripes the staff were very helpful and we had an excellent time. As we were a large group we got a very good price too, which helps.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Nicandave,

Thank you for your nice review here on TripAdvisor!
I’m glad to read you enjoyed our service level at the hotel.
I have shared your points of improvement with my team in order to provide you with a perfect next stay!

General Manager.
Stanford-Le-Hope United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Pleasant staff on arrival, room very average, wallpaper come off the walls. Anna living Bar/Restaurant has a very limited menu and I have to say expensive. The main course I had was a mixed grill, with a small lamb chop, 1 king prawn and a quail’s leg €27. BBQ sauce was good. The way it was described on the menu that was it, so I ordered a side salad, when it arrived it came with a large salad, even the waitress that served the food was surprised that an additional salad was required, I would have expected the waiter to inform me that it came with salad, or it should be stated on the menu, as it is with the other items. Bottled water was supplied in the room, a nice touch. €120 per night, I think an additional €15 to park over night was excessive. €16 for breakfast it was a wide selection. Will look for an alternative if staying in Antwerp again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Dave O

Thank you for sharing your feedback here on Tripadvisor.

First of all thank you for acknowledging our service level, in which we strive to excel on a daily basis.

We take guest feedback very seriously and I have shared your concerns with the departement heads in order to take the necessary actions.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with fellow travelers and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to provide you with a great stay experience.