“Good hotel with great bar restaurant”

Crowne Plaza Antwerpen
Ranked #11 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Foster City, California
“Good hotel with great bar restaurant”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Three and a half stars. Stayed here twice in the last year and while the rooms are average to good, the bar and restaurant makes up for it with good meals and great service. Very nice people. Express Shuttle from Brussels airport drops off right in front

• Stayed May 2014
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for sharing your travel experience online!
It's always our pleasure to be your host for your visits to Antwerp.

During your next stay with us, please let us know how we can improve your stay experience to a 5* stay, as this is our daily goal and look forward to accomodating you.

Hans Wils

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Greek first
Vlierden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 April 2014

How to start, I thought I got a very good deal through the Crowne Plaza website, 2 nights for a mere € 158,- breakfast included. Then I notice on my creditcard account that an amount of € 168 is deducted... strange, could not tell why. The front desk solves the mystery, it is the city tax, but hey that could be mentioned somewhere during booking. Still not too bad but a bit awkward it is. Then I was appointed to room 1022, which was a superior recently renewed room as stated the girl at the front desk. Upon entering the room I found that the room indeed had a new bed, but only a queensize (aksed the frontdesk, but no king beds in the total hotel... strange again) the rest of the furniture looked not too modern and the airco itself still was from the 70's it made one hell of a noise when turned on. O no, the control panel for the AC was renewed, but it had a very bright green led light incorporated. was made it look like there was a traffic light inside the room at night. Does someone not realise that for sleeping most people ned a dark room. Silly so to say.The bathroom ws indeed renewed and it had a ligth sensor, now that is a great idea. when I did notice where it was mounted I also noticed that during renovation they forgot the bathroom ceiling, a lot of stains on that ceiling... again a bit of a miss. Something positive to mention, yes, the gym and swimmingpool are very nice. good job, take that throughout the whole hotel. Parking, the hotel has a paid parking but save yourself the € 15,- a night and park on the roadside in front of the hotel, plenty of spaces there and for free. Connection to city centre, super, take bus 17 in fron tof the hotel and fro just €2,- you are in the city centre and the bus runs every 15 minutes. Now would I stay here again, that is the question, if I have to go for a romantic weekend with my girlfriend I would say no, that is too cosy in a queensize all night, then I would prefer the ramada just across the ring road. If it was for me for business I think I would stay here again. Front desk told me upon asking there where going to fit some rooms with king beds... I could not get if what he said was for real or just to make up a story to keep me satisfied. If they would I would like to try it to write a new review with a 5 star average, I think the hotel can reach that quality, but then it needs to take the extra step.....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeterEijsbouts
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Peter,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write an extensive and honest review.
Your feedback is very important to us, as it shows us the areas to improve.

We will recheck our booking process to see where the city tax is mentioned, as this is an obligatory tax which goes troughout every hotel in Antwerp.

As for the feedback concerning the bed types and airconditioning system, we will take this in mind for our future renovations.

So, thank you for staying with us, and I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for poining out the areas where we can improve.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Never disappointed by Crowne Plaza Hotels! Very clean and big hotel, good service, especially enjoying the swimming pool and the spa area downstairs (there was nobody else than us because there is mostly business clients in this hotel!) Too bad that the location was beside the highway and not easy to access the center of Antwerp without a car.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear MaëlleA,

Thank you so much for your lovely review!
It's a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us and especially our newly renovated wellness center "Octopus".

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for any future visits to 't Stad you might have!

London
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I think the title says it all.
To be fair it's ok, but nothing special.

Good points;
Room was very clean (though it had a strange unpleasant smell)
Bar has a good lively atmosphere
Bar staff are friendly (once you can get their attention)

Bad points;
Not greeted as gold elite member
Not a speedy check in
Twin room despise double being booked, I asked if they had a double and was told there were none available.
I found this strange as there were still doubles available on their website......

In all I don't think this hotel is bought in to the IHG loyalty scheme and I wasn't made to feel like a valued customer.
It's a shame as I booked it due to it being in the IHG group.
I feel disappointed and will be unlikely to return :-(

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Dannny_boy2,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to share your experience online.
Our apologies for not acknowledging your Gold Elite Status upon arrival and providing you with a 'speedy check in'.

As an IHG Rewards member you are one of our most valuable guests and I have shared your comments with our entire team in order to ensure an improvement for any future visit you might have to Antwerpen.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a future, positive stay with us!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

By and large a good hotel, but avoid corner rooms they are like congested. The food menu is not upto the mark, not much variety and rather expensive. Its easy to commute to city center as hotel is very close to bus stop

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sparijat,

Thanks for sharing your travel experience and your impression about our service at crowne plaza antwerpen here on tripadvisor!

I'm glad that both the quality, the service and the location worked out perfectly for you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I absolutely love this hotel.
I stayed here for a few nights then moved on to another of their hotels in Belgium.
I love the staff here they are happy friendly welcoming and always willing to help day or night.
food in the anna is abit highly priced but when you taste it you know why its great. I eat cold soup with prawns,goats cheese salad, red berry dessert and club sandwich my eat mainly steak we both enjoyed the food greatly.
room clean with views, breakfast just lovely with lots to choose from.
Swimming pool, sauna and steam room lovely.
I cant wait for my next stay here!!
This was booked for me as part of my birthday gift from my beloved. I would recommend to anyone.
Please use this hotel to train your other hotels (brugge) to bring them up to your standards to get the best from your hotels.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Bubbauno,

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely review here online on tripadvisor!
I'm glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us and it's our pleasure to be your host.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with some friends. They paid to upgrade their room so ended up with a lovely freshly renovated room, we however ended up with a quite dingy room with pealing wallpaper and a large hole under one of the bedside tables. Our aircon was not working and we had a note with a free drink voucher to use at the bar. Our room got very hot at night so we had to sleep with the window open but the noise and wind kept us up. The beds are lovely and comfortable and the shower is amazing! If you don't have your room serviced you get a 5€ voucher for the bar, our friends had this yet our room wasn't serviced but we did not receive one so make sure you put the correct hanger on the door. The bar has lovely food, especially the hamburger, but it is quite pricey! It's quite close to the centre with a bus station and lots of taxis outside the front. Also their is an Esso garage next door. I'd advise bringing your own bath towels as the ones in the room are tiny and my 6ft 3 partner had trouble drying himself with such a small one. Tea and coffee service in the rooms but with tiny tea cups and only 2 milks but i guess you could ask for more. Only about 2/3 English TV channels but we weren't their to watch it. All in all not a bad hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear AmyM,

Thank you very much for sharing your valuable feedback with us.
We take this as a base to grow in guest satisfaction.

I'm glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us, even though we had some challenges with our airconditioning system.
Rest assured everything has been resolved now and we look forward to a future and positive stay with us for your next visit to 't Stad!

Kind regards,