“Bit out of town but their staff make up for it”

Crowne Plaza Antwerpen
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Efficient and friendly check in. Nice spotless room. Next morning we noticed that the toilet was leaking (clean) water. We notified reception who offered us an alternative room. Unfortunately, this room had the smell of old cigarette smoke- we notified reception again who apologised and also offered us an upgrade to a higher floor room. Easy free parking outside the hotel. . Pool is good and clean. MERLIN (young gentleman) on reception deserves a special mention for his great customer service skills.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Sandra_BT_Hannon,

Thank you so much for your lovely review!
It's a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us and especially our personal guest service.

I shall give yourcompliments to Merlin Personally!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for any future visits to 't Stad you might have!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Very good, safe bet, not a small cozy place but you can see that from the photos. It has pretty well everything you'd expect and high standards, easy to find and get to, good communication links into or out of town, a little sterile ambience but excellent breakfast, I'd definitely recommend and use again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Alexander B,

Thank you so much for your feedback you have given regarding your recent stay in Crowne Plaza Antwerpen.

Good to read you have enjoyed your stay. Thank you so much for your compliment about our communication link with the city centre of Antwerp. Indeed we have a busstop in front of the hotel (Line 17) that will brings you to the city centre and back every 10 minutes.

Hopefully we can welcome you back soon to show you a warm and cosy ambiance is one of our top priorities we are working on at the moment.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Efficient and smiley and check in. The initially allocated non-smoking room had a bad odor from the previous tenant, who was obviously not respecting the policy and was smoking inside the room. We were offered an upgrade to a higher floor room with great view and great ambient. Easy free parking outside the hotel. The frequent bus schedule gets you downtown in 10mins for a fraction of what you would pay for parking, if you were lucky to find a parking spot. The variety and quality of breakfast simply great. Large swimming pool + sauna +steam bath ... All that for less than 74EUR = Unbeatable value for money. That was my second stay in that hotel and I will definitely stay there again, if ever in Antwerp in the future

Stayed: June 2014
Hans W, Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Enoikos,

It is a pleasure to read your review about your stay.

Thank you for sharing these comments with fellow travellers.
We look forward to welcoming you again to Crowne Plaza Antwerpen.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was at the Crowne Plaza Antwerp in July 2014 for 1 week for a conference at the nearby DeSingal Conservatory. I quite enjoyed the Crowne Plaza.

The common areas were clean and well organized. Staff was helpful, polite and nice. They did forget my wake up calls though, so you may wish to have an alternative. The pool is cold, but beautiful, and there are lockers with towels to change and leave your stuff. The gym is well appointed. I'll comment the restaurant separately.

My room was a room with 2 single beds. Quite european! The carpet had an odd stain, and the bathroom (and shower curtain) had some mildew spots. House cleaning did forget to re-supply my complimentary water bottles (2 days in a row), and to re-stock my towels (on 2 occasions). The bed I used and its pillows were very comfortable and I slept very well. The curtains closed well keeping the light out. The room layout was handy, with a great size bathroom with full size shampoo bottles (saves the environment and I'm all for it!), mini fridge, good sized safe, ample closet room, desk, chair, comfy chair and round table. Coffee was included in the room, as was tea.

Free wifi didn't work for 2 days; and was spotty on other days. My A/C broke one day, walking me up at 5 AM with the sound of water dripping on the soaked carpet. They did fix it during the day though and it functionned properly for the rest of my stay.

The hotel is in the middle of nowhere. It is easily walked to the Conservatory though, and students parents must be happy about that. There is a bus station right in front of the hotel that comes about every 20 min. for dowtown (15 minutes bus ride). There is also a tram station within about 7 minutes, that takes about 10 minutes if connection is quick for most places to visit. I didn't try the breakfast at the hotel, as I prefered to get egg sandwiches from the Esso nearby. The esso also has a sandwich counter, drinks, pre-made drinks, etc. It is worth visiting if you want a cheap meal in your room.

Overall, I was quite satisfied by this hotel and would return should I need to be in the area again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Zaz936,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
It's with great pleasure we read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Our apologies we didn't refill your complimentary water during your stay , we indeed had technical problems regarding our wifi which is allready solved now. We feel very sorry you didn't have access to the wifi 2 days during your stay.

We hope to be able to welcome you back for another positive stay, and please know, that you are always welcome!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I travel a lot, both for business and pleasure, and often stay at crown plaza brand hotels.
In my opinion, this hotel does not qualify to be a crowne plaza brand. For many reasons, the most important being the lack of hospitality and the rooms.
The rooms are not at all comparable to other crowne plaza locations, nor is the service.
The rooms were sub par for the Crowne Plaza brand. They looked like a much cheaper brand and were noisy. and hot airc not working
Summary of my stay: unprofessional and no clue what hospitality is about. Never again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hans W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Ashley J,

Thank you for sharing your experience online.
Please know that during your stay it is always a pleasure to assist you and that we will do our utmost best to ensure you can enjoy your stay with us.

I'm very disappointed to read the points you pointed out, since they seem to be an exception in our daily high standards.

I would like to thank you for highlight the problems you have had during your stay so we can focus to improve your highlighted points.

I am very surprised to read your point about our hospitality. Because this point is one of the most important points we are focus on at this moment. I am going to

Me and my entire team are looking forward to welcome you back to ensure you a positive stay at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Almost everything was excellent during my stay. Comfortable, quiet rooms. The restaurant and cafe had great food and coffee. Free wifi, an amazing fitness center, and really cool pool. For the price paid, this was a crazy good hotel. Only thing to watch out for is the breakfast. It's pretty expensive and not very good (in my opinion). I've stayed at many European hotels and most have had a superb breakfast. However, this one broke the mold. Everything else was outstanding though! Would definitely stay here again and recommend. It's easily accessed from the freeway too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear TheRoyalChief,

Thank you so much to share your positive stay experience online.

I am happy to read almost everything was prefect during your stay.
It is always a pleasure to assist you whit all your questions and remarks and to ensure you can get the best out of your stay in Antwerpen.

Thank you for highlighting your expectations about our Breakfast buffet, we will assure you we shall improve our buffet so you can enjoy your stay for 100% in future.

We look forward to another positive stay with us at Crowne Plaza Antwerpen!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed here on a business trip recently. Check-in was painful as the hotel had clearly not geared up for a large group arriving simultaneously. Once in, the room was spacious and clean and well enough appointed for the needs of a travelling businessman.
The bathroom was clean and came with essentials as required. The wardrobe space was large and there was a safe also.
Complimentary bottles of water were a nice touch, although the mini-bar was empty, so a tease that could've backfired if I'd relied upon it to have a midnight snack.
The bar in the hotel is pleasant enough, but does feel like exactly what it is....a hotel bar. I was surprised when returning from a night in town and fancying a nightcap to be told by the barman that the bar was closed and the only way to get a beer would be to go to the petrol station down the road. I found this to be most offensive, and even when I qualified myself as a resident, he advised that room service would not be able to pour a beer.
The town centre is about 3 miles away, which means you'll need to grab a cab. Not a huge problem, but certainly a surprise when you book a city hotel that you expect to be in the middle of things.
All in all, it's clean, modern, functional but quite a way out of town, but I would stay there again, but now armed with additional knowledge.

Room Tip: To get a good view of the city, which is a few miles away, get to the tenth floor or higher.