“Nice location, comfy beds and AWESOME shower!”

Leopold Hotel Antwerp
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We stayed for 2 nights to attend our sons NECIS basketball game in February. The hotel is modern, the staff- accomodating and pleasant, multilingual (as we only spoke English) and responsive. The location is downtown is a very safe neighborhood. Parking, however, is the issue. Trying to check in quickly is not possible. We had to find a parking spot and then walk to the hotel. Once we checked in, we were given a room key that allowed us to enter the hotel's private garage at 17 euro/night. I'd pay more for valet parking, but we located the lot and parked. It was extremely sketchy, with peeling paint, a long dark alleyway and a long delay before the door closes. There are broken bottles, trash and garbage everywhere. It is unpaved, unlit, dark, and puddle-ridden in the rain. A real shame, as a few dollars/euro/pounds would have gone a long way to make patrons feel comfortable and safe in an unknown area. The private lot is well marked, but a good 2 blocks from the hotel and a tough place to locate without a GPS due to the one-way roads.

On a lighter note, there is a well stocked bar off the lobby and we chose to order a couple of drinks and bring them up to our room while we changed. We were given a lovely tray, nice glasses of beer and wine and a cup of peanuts.

The best part of the hotel was the most amazing shower!!! We travel a LOT! We stay in hotels weekly. This shower was THE best shower we have encountered in a hotel... EVER!! My husband is 6'2", and in Europe, this shower head was above his head!! Now that is saying something! I said to him "Hon, you HAVE to try this shower" He was sound asleep, but finally managed to get in and agreed. BEST hotel shower ever!!! Rock hard, like a massage without the hands. Super hot and super hard water pressure. Enough said. I could deal with the parking easily knowing I'd be able to take a couple of these showers again!

The king sized bed (a double in europe) was large and comfy with a duvet and lots of pillows. The window view had a fire escape, but we weren't in the room for more than a good nights sleep so we barely noticed. There was a tea pot with extra tea bags, a nice flat screen TV with multiple options (including discovery channel which I missed from the US) .

The hotel is located a 15 minute drive from the International school where we were heading each day. At night, we took a cab to Graanmarket which is the downtown area with lots of restaurants and shopping. It was under 10 euro and well worth the expense to avoid parking and driving home late after dinner! There are so many great restaurants in downtown Antwerp, you can't go wrong!

I booked the hotel online without seeing it. Except for the parking issue, the hotel was well appointed and quite comfortable. I would book this or the Radisson Blue across the street when we come back next year. A nice park across the street and an interesting restaurant within walking distance made for a memorable weekend. Definitely a great and safe location.

Finally- they offer free internet. I brought my Ipad, but it was not compatable. You need to have an IBM compatible plug (not being a techy). If I had brought my laptop, I would have been fine, but you have to sign in using the internet cord and then you are able to get wifi. I couldn't do it on my ipad.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
FilipCaluwaert, General Manager at Leopold Hotel Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2011

Dear guest, Thank you for writing such a nice review and giving us a great score. Concerning the parking as of now we are recommending a parking on a 5 minutes walk from the hotel as we are going to renovate our parking completely. We are working on a solution for the Ipad in the guest rooms. We hope hope to welcome you soon again for a next basketball game or on any other occasion that brings you to Antwerp. Kindest regards, Filip Caluwaert, General Manager.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Stayed here during weekend shopping trip to Antwerp.
We arrived before rooms were ready but Peter at reception kindly let us park (note that the hotel car park is a rather inconvenient 5 minutes from the hotel, and is uncovered). Returning later our rooms were ready but we found that they were on the smoking floor (floor 6) despite there being "non-smoking" signs on the doors. We asked at reception for different rooms and they seemed somewhat reluctant to oblige, asking us if we ordered a non-smoking room! Eventually we changed.
The hotel was otherwise pleasant enough. No wifi in room.
The location was very interesting, being in the Jewish part of the city. On Saturday we saw many Jewish families walking around, the men in their traditional attire. It was a fine sight!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
FilipCaluwaert, General Manager at Leopold Hotel Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Dear Guest,
First off all I would like to thank you for informing us about your experiences at the Leopold Hotel Antwerp. It is thanks to your remarks and observations that we can improve our service in the future.
we are always glad to receive feedback from our guests and we will surely use this information in our hotel. Hope to welcome you again next time you are coming to Antwerp.
Joris Keimes
Assistant Manager.

Reviewed 17 January 2011

Beautiful and silent place, good park with birds and rabbits, not far from central streets and historical objects. Careful personal. Little cool in the numb but it was not a big problem. ))

Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us on Tripadvisor. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Leopold Hotel Antwerp. Hope to welcome you again the next time you travel to Antwerp.

Reviewed 16 January 2011

this hotel is pure rubbish! everything went wrong with the hotel with little to no help from staff!!! our first problem was on check in we booked a double room got two single beds 15 mins later we got a dif room i thought nothing of it til day two as neither of the lifts working as the two of the lifts were broken!!! and we were only told after waiting for over 5 mins for the lift that it was not working we were on the 7th floor so a lot of bloody stairs!!! also the so called free internet is not quiet so free or easy to set up!!! as €50 deposit was required for a password or your credit card was used!!! and only works half of the time!!! a very tempermental connection! then on our final night the fire alarm went off at 5.50 in the morning we went to the lobby to see what was the problem if any! little to no information was given to us! we were eventualy told it was a false alarm!!!!! we had to ask could we go back to our rooms! which we were allowed at about 6.30 the very annoying alarm was finaly turned off!!!!!!!!!!! at no stage did any staff take control of the situation or apologise for the inconvenience. the next morning when we checked out, there was still no apology or explanation and when we asked what had happened we were told it was a fault in the system but still no apology!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
FilipCaluwaert, Manager at Leopold Hotel Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your comments with us. It is thanks to your remarks that we can improve our service in the future.

First off all I would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your stay.

A deposit from 50 € or credit card guarantee is indeed asked to open all interfaces in the room, this because the internet is connected to some other payable features in the room. But off course there is no charge when the internet is used and it remains free.

Concerning the fire alarm, All our receptionists have received training for what actions they should take in case of these emergencies. Unfortunately because of the technical malfunction it was impossible to switch off the alarm and the receptionist panicked a little bit.

Once again our apologies,

Joris Keimes
Assistant Manager;

Reviewed 13 January 2011

Great; fast check-inn
The rooms have a very comfy bed and a good shower.
To bad there is a curtain...little bid old.
Breakfast is great with plenty choise.
No hotel WIFI in my room, i've picked a other signal..

Overall; great stay at a bargain in downtown Antwerpen.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for this nice reveiw about the Leopold Hotel Antwerp.
It is nice to hear that you hade a good stay here with us.
Hope to welcome you again the next time you travel to Antwerp.

Reviewed 14 December 2010

My Husband and I wanted to visit Antwerp for the Christmas Markets and having a Seven Month old with us; we wanted a good quality hotel. We booked the Junior Suite as the Photos showed a 360oc of the room and indicated a seperate area from the bedroom and bathroom. The cost of the room for one night was £150.00. On arrival the room was made ready for us very promptly; however, when we walked into the room, we found only a bedroom with a small sofa and a bathroom. When we checked with reception that informed us that a Suite means a big room (this was not a big room) and we now wish we had only paid for a deluxe park view room and breakfast was not included in this price; this was in addtion. The travel cot that they put in looked more like a disused laundry basket on wheels as the netting had holes and was very worn. In the end I put my daughter in the bed with us. We decided to order room service for our breakfast and duly left the card on our door as we left the hotel at 7pm for dinner. At 8.00am the next morning when our breakfast was due I checked the door and found the card still there and when I rang reception I was told it was my fault for putting it out after 2am and asked to bring the card to reception; even after explaining that I left the card well before 2am and that I had a baby expecting to eat at 8-8.15am I was given no apology or attempt to make the situation any better. The girl who brought our breakfast, however, did apologise and admit her colleague from the night before had forgotten to collect the cards and we had to wait until almost 9am before we had any food and I could feed my daugther, who had been up an hour by this point.

The staff were surly and unhelpful in the main, except for one very friendly receptionist on arrival and the bar staff on Saturday night. They did nothing to try and recitfy the breakfast situation and on check out my husband said he felt the least they could do was waive the charge for breakfast and the 5 euro per person room service charge, which they did but we had to ask as no attempt was made to try and compensate us.

The room and hotel itself were clean and well maintained and the view of the park was excellent; which is why this was such a disapointment. The attitude of the staff was poor and this really let this hotel down. I was very disappointed as the room charge was quite high and I felt mislead that a suite in fact mean't an expensive room with a sofa and what should have been a relaxing weekend away was actually frustrating and disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I would also like to thank you for the e-mail you have sent us with your remarks so that we have been able to work out a solution.

Again our apologies and we are glad you were satisfied with the solution we worked out.

Reviewed 20 November 2010

I travelled to Antwerp in mid-August 2010 and was travelling on my own. I stayed at the Leopold Hotel for 3 nights and thoroughly recommend it. My modern room had a king size bed, modern decoration, good shower but no fridge in the room. I was even able to check my emails for free from the TV's internet service. This 4 star hotel's American buffet breakfast was also worthy of 4 stars. The Leopold Hotel is about 5 min walk from the Centraal Station (overland and underground station) as well as numerous the local bus stops, including a local bus to the airport. 3 Euros should cover a one way journey to the airport. There is also a Jewish bakery around the corner/down a side street from the Hotel. Try the baked cheesecake ...absolutely delicious!! I chose this hotel as it was very close to the diamond district. There are also various restaurants in walking distance. There is a nice park opposite the hotel too. The fashion shopping district is also walkable say 10 mins, probably longer if you're easily distracted by jewellry shops. No complaints and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo