“Satisfactory-but not as special as anticipated” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Leopold Hotel Antwerp

Leopold Hotel Antwerp
Ranked #4 of 71 Hotels in Antwerp
Dublin, Ireland
“Satisfactory-but not as special as anticipated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

I took my Fiance on a surprise trip to Antwerp to buy our engagement ring. After LOTS of TripAdvisor and other internet research I decided to go with the Leopold Hotel. The reviews were largely full of praise and the website and staff (upon reservation) seemed friendly and professional.

However, i was a little disappointed when i arrived with the hotel. The reception and lobby area don't create much of a welcoming atmosphere and both of the receptionists upon arrival seemed tired and uninterested in welcoming us to the hotel warmly.
One lift was out of order while the other screeched the most annoying screech every time the jarred door opened and closed-not a great start!

We arrived to our floor to be met with the 1980's finest decor which gave me a fair bit of anxiety wondering what the room would be like. I had booked (and paid a premium for) the deluxe park view room. Thankfully, the room was fine and clean and warm. The bathroom was a little bit underwhelming but the room and view were quite pleasant.

Location of the hotel is ideal for browsing the diamond district and is just 700m (5 minute walk) from central station. We walked a few times up to the old city and this is a pleasant 15-20 minute walk.

I wouldn't say I was unhappy with the hotel but having had high expectations based on other travelers reviews i was a little disappointed the hotel didn't "wow" my fiance like i had hoped.

Room Tip: Ask for a park view room
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
JorisCammaer, General Manager at Leopold Hotel Antwerp, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and nice views over the park.
As you mention, our location is very suitable for both Central Station and the historical city center.

It goes without saying that I would like to apologize for not having been able to create the wow-factor for your fiancé, but please rest assured that we do our outmost to improve our service on a daily basis.

We hope to be welcoming you back at the Leopold Hotel Antwerp on a future trip.

Kind regards,

Joris Cammaer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Antwerp
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

good location in front of a nice park.
not exactly in the city center, but not so far (15 minutes walk)
rooms are very spacious and well equipped.
the staff is kind and helpful
a little bit slow in the check-in, but that was the only remark i can do about this excellent hotel

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

JorisCammaer, General Manager at Leopold Hotel Antwerp, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear Marco C,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I am happy to read that you had a most enjoyable stay at the Leopold Hotel Antwerp.

We are looking forward to you next visit!

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

We recently used the meeting rooms at the hotel for two days. The service was excellent and the staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. The management also gave us a good rate for the two days. We are very pleased with their services and plan on using the same location for next year.

Thank you!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JorisCammaer, General Manager at Leopold Hotel Antwerp, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear,

Thank you very much for your nice comments.

We are all looking forward to your next seminar!

Oudenaarde
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed at the Leopold Hotel last weekend to celebrate our anniversary. We were welcomed by a young receptionist with a big smile and she was really friendly and helpful. The right person to be at reception! The room was nice and very clean and we enjoyed a great breakfast in the morning. Definately a place to return to!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
JorisCammaer, General Manager at Leopold Hotel Antwerp, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic review.

I will most certainly pass your comments on to the team!

We hope to be welcoming you back soon at the Leopold Hotel Antwerp.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed for twice at this hotel within 12 days in connection with a tour it seems the times we stayed there were similar coach parties at the hotel The rooms are a good size and nicely decorated. The first room we stayed in had a better bathroom than the second, rooms had tv kettle etc but no milk for the tea which the reception did not have either. The food was buffet style breakfast had a reasonably good choice and dinner had a few options for main including salmon. Bar area is quiet with large comfortable seats. Outside the hotel is opposite a park a few shops 300m away but not much else not a place you would like to walk around late

• 3 of 5 bubbles
JorisCammaer, General Manager at Leopold Hotel Antwerp, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.

I'm happy to read that your enjoyed our comfortable rooms and, in general, both of your stays.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on a future trip to Antwerp!

White Plains
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I recently stayed in the Leopold - Antwerp and found that the location is only decent to the "happenings" in Antwerp. It is in a pretty desolate area for the evening hours. The hotel itself makes a good impression on this quiet street and the lobby is impressive. However, I chose this hotel because the big conglomerate hotels do not need my money and I wanted to give to a smaller yet comparable hotel. Well, I got what I paid for...
1) There are no bellmen, so be prepared to see yourself to your room. There are lifts so that makes the haul a bit easier.
2) Upon entering our rooms we were assaulted by the smell of the cigarette smoke from the previous guests. My husband and I smoke but not in our home for this reason - IT SMELLS!!!! I walked to the local grocery store for Febreeze that they do not sell. Either bring your own or request it upon check-in. Trust me.
3) Also, please be advised that this is a self-appointed 4-star property because what 4-star property has nicotine stains on the bathroom walls from ALL of the previous patrons? It was nasty.
4) My husband and I stayed for 7 nights and we could only watch Discovery Channel and Nick Jr. (which was half English-half Dutch intermittently). There was no news ANYWHERE in English as described on their website. We asked the front desk about even BBC (given its location) and the first response was to write down our room number with perplexed look on her pretty face. The next time we inquired about CNN or BBC, her response "and when do you check out?' No kidding. They don't have it - PERIOD!!
5) There is an offer of bathrobes and slippers. NONE - we got one pair of slippers for two guests. I would only ask that the staff pay attention to the number of people checking in and make the appropriate adjustments.
6) There was a towel issue. May I please have TWO towels? One for me AND one for my husband? I called down one night to the front desk, as instructed, and was directed to housekeeping. Fine, I dialed 990 AND THEY WERE CLOSED!!!!
7) The last of my complaints - our iron broke on the first portion of our trip and because of the "businessman" listing, my guess was that there are irons available. So I requested one because they are not in the rooms. I had the iron for 2 days or so when I received a call from the front desk asking if they could borrow the iron. Ok, I can share. But when I asked for it back for the early morning departure I had, they scrambled and then told us that they could not find one. My husband said that that was NOT acceptable and within minutes we had another iron and board. Okay, so, my flat-iron gets hotter than the iron and the board was broken to the point of not being able to stand properly. We had to use the board on the bed! Really?
So I know that the Leopold Antwerp has undergone a change of management, but he/she is clearly out of their collective league. This is NOT a 4-star property in any way shape or form! The best thing is the LOBBY and the engaging bartenders! PERIOD!

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking hte park otherwise it's a city view with lots of garbage and tops...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank V N G
JorisCammaer, General Manager at Leopold Hotel Antwerp, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to inform me about your findings at our hotel.

I am sorry to read that your stay did not bring to you what you expected and I would like to offer you my apologies on this occasion.

We have gone through your remarks one by one and are undertaking actions wherever needed.

I would like to take the opportunity to inform you that I am present at the hotel in case there is an issue you would like to discuss with me during your stay. In this case I could probably have helped you on the spot, rather than I can do now, returned home. I invite you to contact me through the hotel contact details so I can look deeper into your questions. Now I have no details about your stay (room number, arrival date, …) and thus it is rather hard for me to talk to the right persons in my staff.
I am looking forward to your e-mail.

Monmouthshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

A short drive into Antwerp there is mo hotel carpark. Street parking is free 10pm - 9pm in some places but until 8am in others so be careful as the police station is just down the road and they are vigilant. Plenty if pay fir oarking but pricey at €26 per day. The hitel is also convenient for the train station. Old Antwerp centre Canberra reached on foot if you don't mind a 1 hr round trip to the cathedral & river andbavk - worth it.

Hotel staff were very helpful especially the barman who heated up some packets of a friends special diet food. Rooms were spacious if a bit drab colourwise.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JorisCammaer, General Manager at Leopold Hotel Antwerp, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

It is indeed a nice walk from the Leopold Hotel Antwerp to the historical city centre, and yes it is certainly worth it!

We hope to be welcoming you back soon in Antwerp.