“central, modern with great health club” 3 of 5 bubbles

Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel, Antwerp
Ranked #7 of 71 Hotels in Antwerp
GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“central, modern with great health club”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

Antwerp is a city of districts and this hotel is opposite the station. It's a modern build, designed to try to fit in with the stunning gothic train station - it doesn't quite, but at least they made the effort. Rooms are of a decent size, those facing the back are quieter but sometimes feel a little dingy. The breakfast has a good selection but is quite pricey - alternatively there are plenty of cafe's close to the hotel.

The healthclub is very good with gym, pool, steam, sauna etc

Parking......interesting......difficult to navigate to (even with GPS), then when you do find the ewntrance it's difficult to get into and even more difficult to get out of with anything larger than a VW Golf.....and once you get out of the hotel garage it's so easy to get lost in the warren of small streets behind the hotel....still it adds to the fun if you're not in a hurry!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PJT99
, General Manager at Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel, Antwerp, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear PJT99,

I'm glad you enjoyed our fitness area, especially with his great view at the Central Station it is definitely a plus for the hotel. The traffic works are done now and you can always download the latest route descriptions from our website, or just give us a ring and we will be more than happy to guide you. I am looking forward to welcome you back at the Radisson Blu Astrid hotel.

Didier Boehlen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ostend, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

This hotel is situated just opposite the superb Antwerp central railstation and steps away from all interesting touristic spots. It is a modern hotel with clean, quiet and spacous rooms and a nice bar and dine facility as well. Breakfast is OK but expensive (22 euros).

Room Tip: Our room 510 was very quiet.
Dear marc-goddyn,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that the hotel met all your expectations. Next time you book with us I suggest that you book a bed&breakfast rate or some of our promotional rates that includes breakfast, which will be a cheaper option than what u paid. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Leiden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Bad points first:

The bathroom looked rather "tired" and the shower in my room leaked.

The fact the air is pumped in from the hall when you don't or, in my case, don't want to have the noisy aircon on, means there is a constant draught (between 6am and 11pm) but I know this cannot be changed, having stayed in a Radisson in Goteborg and alerted the staff at Astrid who spoke to their technical chaps, and the staff did try very hard to solve the problem and kindly let me have a heater. They had offered to allow me to switch rooms but the issue is in all rooms so I declined.

The pillows are very lumpy and uncomfortable, but the mattress comfortable.

I asked a few times for a local Flemish/Dutch newspaper in the mornings, not the FT, because I am learning Dutch but after the second day, I kept getting the FT so I stopped asking.

Good points:

I had a wonderfully quiet room which is exactly what I had asked for on my reservation. The staff did try to help and were friendly.

In a business room you get a kettle and a Nespresso machine and complimentary bottle water every day.

It is absolutely wonderful to have free WiFi in my room (a business class room).

The view from my window was Central Station and being in front of the bus stop for the Antwerp-Brussels airport is such a bonus - it's a shame the hotel can't be lifted and put in a nicer part of the city! The fact the hotel is so close to all the wonderful places to go and transport networks (trams. buses etc) is also excellent.

Two years ago, I stayed at Radisson Blu in Goteborg (Sweden) and did not have a good experience - but staying at Radisson Blu in Antwerp has absolutely changed my opinion of Radisson Blu hotels and I would certainly reconsider booking another stay with another Radisson. The ONLY reason I would not come back to the Antwerp branch is the location because I know it is not a nice part of the city.

I didn't eat in the restaurant but had a couple of glasses of wine in the bar one night. It was very crowded on that Friday night as I think a coachload of tourists had arrived plus families anc couples - the business crowd having returned home, presumably! But this is really common in business hotels where prices probably drop at the weekend to ensure room occupancy and compensate for the fact that the business crowd aren't there.

One last point, I am a keen runner, and I would be happy to give other runners details of another good route for runners who prefer more distance than running round and round and round the city park - which is what the guidebooks and the hotel suggested.

I was grateful that someone directed me to the Spar supermarket round the corner - it's not a standard Spar corner shop set-up - when I asked for a supermarket location - it's really well-stocked, with a reputation for having good food and local meat counters, good veg and a small fresh bakery section and soooooo much better than Delhaize which was a bit grotty. Visitors might like to know that the big Carrefour undre the Grand Bazar on the main shopping drag is very good.

Room Tip: Choose a business room facing the beautiful Central Station, on floor 7, and ask for a quiet room. B...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel, Antwerp, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Audry-Jane,

Thank you very much for your review on our hotel. I'm very sorry that you don't like the neighbourhood. But since you are in the citycentre located right next to the central trainstation, major transportation-networks and only on walking distance from some great restaurants and nice shops, it is not uncommon this area is very vivid from time to time. You also mentioned that you got offered free WIFI in your bsiness class room, but I can inform you that all Radisson Blu Hotels worldwide offer free broadband internet in all rooms, inclusive public areas. I would appreciate if you would email me your roomnumber and name ( gm.anrz@radissonblu.com) so I can have a look and ensure the shower will be fixed. I see that you found some nice routes to run within the city, and I read your comment that you were more than happy to share this with other runners. Therefore may I kindly ask you if you would be willing to share this with us, so we can advise other guests who would lik to have a nice run too. Did you also know that in the supermarkt you mentioned, the best poultry and butcher-shop of the entire city are housed? They supply almost all the fine dining restaurants in Antwerp.
I hope when your travels bring you back to Antwerp, you will once again stay with us at the Radisson Blu Astrid hotel!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

this hotel has everyting I want from a hotel. It has a great location right across from the Central Station in the centre of Antwerp. Very friendly service over the phone when I called in advance to ask how I could reach the parking garage. Nespresso coffee machine, big room, nice view from the room on Central Station and free high speed wifi internet access and more.

Room Tip: rooms at the front of the hotel have an excellent view on Central Station
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I came with the Thalys from Amsterdam and therefore the location directly opposite the really beautiful train station was ideal for me. Antwerp is very accessible and walk able and didn't need a taxi a single time, in fact i tried out the cities bike rental program https://www.velo-antwerpen.be because the bikes are opposite the hotel and a great way to get around in town.

The hotel itself is modern and stylish inside and found that the staff was very friendly too. I liked the breakfast and the view from the breakfast area over the square...also their gym is really quite good for a hotel gym. A lot of options a small pool for swimming and even a sauna and a steam bath. I would stay there again if I come to Antwerp.

Room Tip: My room didn't really have a view but was quite. A room to the front with view maybe noisy becau...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed here for two nights on business. Arrival by cab is difficult due to the tram lines directly outside but check-in was efficient. The room (on the 6th floor facing the train station) had clearly previously been used by heavy smokers and the stench of air freshener was quite over-powering. But it was spacious enough and quite comfortable when the smell had died down. The bathroom was, however, in need of a really good clean. The shower has leaked for some time and the bottom of it is stating to rot. Worse still, a very stained hand-towel was left behind the bathroom door. Not pleasant. Cleaning staff quickly removed it, but it does not create a good impression.

The night's sleep were very good. I expected noise from the trains, but there was surprisingly little. Breakfast was great - very good choice and pretty tasty.

Overall, not a bad place to stay and visit the city, but could do better.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Used our points to book a free room for the Manic Street Preachers Gig. Stayed one night so didnt see much of the hotel or city sadly but had a very comfortable stay.
Room & bathroom were both clean and spacious. King bedded rooom was actually two large singles pushed together, besides this we both found the beds very comfortable and didnt experience any noise despite this hotel being on a busy road near the station -We were on the 7th floor.
Check in/out was fast and efficient, had a drink in the bar, service was good.
Would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on a higher floor and didnt experience any noise