“Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel - 18-19/06/13 - Room 541”

Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel, Antwerp
Ranked #9 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel - 18-19/06/13 - Room 541”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The hotel itself is in a good location for transportation links being immediately opposite the central railway station, tram & bus stops and about 15 minutes from the airport. The local area, looking a bit scruffy, is not particularly inviting & I wouldn't be rushing to be out late at night in the area.
However, having said that, once inside the hotel, the atmosphere is cool & calm. The desk staff were very helpful & spoke perfect English. My check-in assistant, whose name I can't remember & Sophie, at check-out, were the epitomy of excellent customer service.

The room was not overly luxurious but it had everything I needed ( & it all worked) including BBC news on the TV & wi-fi. It was immaculately clean and well maintained and a credit to the staff. The lighting options were plentiful all worked as expected. It was epecially good to see tea/coffee making facilities so I could cater for myself. The only thing I would like to see would be pillow options. Holiday Inn provides hard and soft pillows in the same room so guests can mix & match to suit their comfort requirements. Here,guests have to make do with what's in the room.

The bar area was well maintained & managed - we were well looked after by Suzanne (?) who did a great job of keeping us fueled with Belgian beer & nibbles. Similarly, the breakfast room on the second floor was well managed - the staff never stopped moving, keeping on top of table availability & replenishing food. My breakfast was included as part of my costs which were covered by a business budget so I cannot attest to value-for-money but the range of food on offer would cover most tastes & dietary requirements.

So, overall, nothing wrong with the hotel at all. The staff I dealt with were very good & knew how to treat their guests. As a location, the hotel is fine if you want to make use of the transportation links, so it makes a great location for business travellers. If I was a tourist, interested in sight-seeing around Antwerp, I may look for something close to the shopping area/cathedral but this is not a criticism of the hotel, but of its location.
If I was in Antwerp on business again, I'd have no hesitation in using this hotel in future or recommending it to others.

Room Tip: Room 541 was on the side of the hotyel, overlooking a side street. Not a fabulous view but very qui...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
djansen, General Manager at Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel, Antwerp, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Capesthorn
Thank you for your great feedback regarding your recent stay. I am always glad to hear that my team has shown its wonderful "Yes I Can!" spirit. Your compliments have been passed on to them, and particularly to Sophie, Suzanne and the housekeeping team. It is indeed true that the location of our hotel has its pros and cons for both business and leisure travellers. I do hope your travels will bring you back to Antwerp soon and look forward to welcoming you again at the Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel.

Dieter Acke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The Radisson Blu Astrid is a good choice for staying in Antwerp, as it is well located, close to all transportation facilities, e.g. opposite the central train station and close to the main shopping area. Rooms are very comfortable and clean. Staff is very nice and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Adalheidur J
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms comfortable and clean. Thank you for your nice comment about our team. I have passed on the compliment. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Sydney
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We originally booked a standard room but on confirmation were offered an upgrade to a Business room for a reasonable price which we took up. The view of the Railway Station and plaza was wonderful, as was the room. The reception staff were friendly and helpful and the ability to walk to the station made day trips to others towns was great.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear KED740
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is nice to hear you enjoyed the upgrade and the advantages of our business class rooms. Antwerp Central station indeed offers a wonderful view, which I still enjoy too. Thank you for your compliments regarding the front office team. I have passed them on. Hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Hi, Don't bother to look around, this hotel will bring everything you need. I have been travelling to Antwerp for the last 2 years every week and I did try other Hotels. None of them will bring you this confort, this fantastic bar/restaurant and best over all the welcoming to this Hotel. You will be welcome by a superb team that will bring you a smile and take care of you.
The facility is convenient for any type of trip, Business, Family, Tourists, etc...
If you feel that your day was too stressfull and you need to relax why not to jump in the elevator and go to level 1 to enjoy the Gym or a Swim at the swimming pool or a Sauna or Turkish Bath... You have the choice and for the ones who feel this is not enough, you can book a massage !
Now the access to Restaurant around is very good and you are front of Central station so if you would like to go somewhere more closed to the centre just jump into a tram it will take you there in 5 min.
You will not find such a complete hotel with all it provides to you !
I am sure you will be well served and you will enjoy your stay as I did,
Thanks again Radisson and the Best Team : the Reception band :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Aurelien S
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that our team makes you feel at home. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back home at the Radisson Blu Astrid.

Mount Royal, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I would not recommend this hotel unless you need convenient access to the central train station (which is about 200 meters from the hotel). I have stayed in a smaller hotel close to the old historic town center and that is what I would recommend if you want to ‘experience’ Antwerp. If you are just coming in for a day or two you don’t let me deter you the hotel is ‘fine’ if logistics are driving your decision.

Nothing was ‘terrible’ about the hotel, but there were some disappointing aspects. For a large chain it had some of the same minor inconveniences you would expect from a small European boutique hotel but none of the charm. First, some highlights….

1) The staff was friendly, spoke perfect English, and the service was good.
2) Price was reasonable after our company discount but full fair would probably be overpriced.
3) Nice view of the central train station building from my room.
4) The free breakfast was very good.
5) Plenty of casual restaurants, fast food, starbucks, and beer cafes near the hotel, albeit mostly overpriced, marginal quality places.

Now the downside

1) Area wasn’t ‘crime filled’ but some streets around the hotel were a little shady and there was a bit of night time activity (bars, strip bars, small casinos). It was a LONG walk to the historic town center. Doable on a nice night, especially in the summer when it stays light past 10 pm but not ideal.
2) The AC in the rooms did nothing. It was hotter in the rooms than it was outside and the windows provided very little air circulation, not to mention closing the windows was the only way to prevent the constant car horns and trolly ‘dings’ from keeping you awake.
3) Controlling the temperature in the shower was difficult. It was so slow to adjust it would constantly go back and forth between too hot and too cold.
4) The street around the hotel was so busy and there was no loading / unloading area so our taxi drive would have to drop us off around the corner every day.
5) The WiFi was spotty at best.

Room Tip: ask for a view of the train station. avoid the two rooms on every floor that are on the curved part...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear mjlynch
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear we convinced you of our service and "Yes I Can!" Spirit. We will sure pass these compliments to our reception department. We are however sorry to hear that the air conditioning did not work and do apologize for the inconvenience, we will pass this feedback to our maintenance department. If you would like to go to the city centre, you can indeed go by foot but there is also the possibility to take public transport just in front of the hotel. We hope to welcome you back in the hotel soon.

Adelong
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I chose this hotel due to its location to the main rail station for a 2 night stay during an 8 week Europe holiday. The staff at reception were most helpful during check in to room 638 & 639. The hotel reception area was clean but the room & hallway on room approach from the elevator could do with a refurb. The carpet appeared to be well worn & looked a little grubby. Also in my parents room the mini bar fridge had part eaten food that had obviously been left by the previous occupants & ours had a packet of prosciutto in it... Not good! We pointed this out to Karen on reception who arranged a discount on my parents room, the decent thing to do. When the windows were open the gutters are covered with cigarette butts, empty bottles etc & looked particularly grotty. We also pointed this out..... Not sure if anything has been done about this but she was not pleased with what she saw there.
From what I saw in my 2 day stay, I don't think I will hurry back to Antwerp unless I was looking to buy a diamond or other stone!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Maggie1963
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to hear your visit to Antwerp did not quite meet your expectations. I did pass the feedback to all departments in order to finetune the operations. We do hope to welcome you back in Antwerp in the future.

South Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I spent eight nights at the Radisson Blu Astrid on a recent business trip. The hotel was comfortable for that many nights. However, I would not pick this hotel again should I return to the area, unless I needed to stay right near the train station.

Traffic in the area can be terrible especially in the evening (Friday and Saturday being particularity unbearable). If you are parking a car, the garage entrance is on a one-way street, so there's no way around all the traffic. It can take 30 minutes just to get the last few blocks to the hotel.

The room was warm at night even with outside temps in the 30s and 40s. Overall the area got quiet enough eventually to leave the window open.

The hotel resturant is so-so (see separate review) and the breakfast is way overpriced.

I would not say that I don't recommend this hotel, especially if it were in a different location. If you do need to stay near the train station, then this hotel would be an excellent choice.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear ModerationForMe
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is nice to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel comfortable. If you are travelling to Antwerp by train, the hotel is indeed conveniently located. Admittedly, traffic can be quite busy in the city centre and our team would be happy to help you find a faster route out of the city. Whenever business brings you back to Antwerp, we hope to welcome you back at the hotel.