“Not bad for a night”

Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel, Antwerp
Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stood here with my girlfriend for a night on a stopover to Paris from Amsterdam. If you want to be in a nice cozy part of Antwerp this in not it. I suggest walking to the old town area and stay there. This is prefect if you want modern and convenient next the train station. The are around the train station can be a bit dodgy at night, fine during the day. Wouldn't call it dangerous but you will see characters. Zoo close by. Diamond district is close but I wasn't a fan. Once you walk down into the old town its gorgeous. The staff were friendly. Good overall stay but I would only recommend for convenience to train station.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ACSauce
djansen, General Manager at Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel, Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear ACSauce

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am glad to hear our staff showed it's Yes I Can spirit. The hotel is indeed located conveniently if you are traveling by train. I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Dieter Acke

Write a ReviewReviews (1,579)

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I had been pre-checked in to this hotel on 12th February 2014 by email. I checked in to this hotel on 13th February 2014 at around 10.00 pm. I paid for the room in full by cash. I was asked by their representative, Mr. Julian, when I would like to check out. I told him that I would be checking out at 5.30 pm on 14th February 2014. He acknowledged my statement and proceeded to advise me about the room, wi-fi etc.
On 14th February 2014, at 2.00 pm, a hotel representative came to my room and told me that I would need to vacate the room since it had already been booked for some other guest. I told the representative that I had clearly mentioned that I would be checking out only at 5.30 pm that day. I then received a call from the reception from a lady. She actually told me that if I did not check out immediately, she would make to pay a waiting charge for the guest who had booked my room.
When I proceeded to check out, the same representative who checked me in, Mr. Julian, was present at the reception. When I asked him about my instructions that I would check out at 5.30 pm that day, he nonchalantly accepted that he had misunderstood and that he had made a mistake. He spoke to his manager who then offered to give me a discount of EUR 30.00 on my bill if I used their restaurant. Informatively, neither the manager nor the lady who forced me out of my room had the courtesy or the decency to apologise for their mistake.
This has been the most embarrassing episode in my career of 26 years. I travel extensively globally and have resided in various hotels but I have never come across such apathetic staff with no consideration for their guests. I will urge my colleagues, friends and other business associates never to use this hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank bonny c
djansen, General Manager at Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel, Antwerp, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear bonny c
Thank you very much for your candid feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by the faulty communication within the team. Our Yes I Can! philosophy strives to find to always find the best solution for our guests. Could I ask you to let me know when would be a convenient time to discuss this further?

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Over the past 10 years, I've stayed at this property a number of times. Service levels continue to decline and this stay was the last straw. The first morning I was only able to get a trickle of warm water in the shower and asked the front desk to have a maintenance person correct this. The next morning, I had the option between being scorched or frozen - with nothing in between. The last morning I had zero warm water and had to sponge bathe myself from the sink. It should not be that complicated to provide a guest with a reasonably comfortable shower experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
1  Thank srcusa

Dear srcusa
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry to hear your last stay with us was disappointing and I do apologize for this. If possible, I would like to discuss this further with you. Could you let me know how I can contact you and when would be a convenient time for you?

Reviewed 12 February 2014

When we arrived we couldn't find parking easily, it's on the side of the hotel. I suggest the hotel try to work something out to where cars can wait at the entrance during check in, it was a bit of a hassle. After parking the car in the garage, the elevator was broken, so we had to carry our bags up 4 flights of stairs to the lobby. Two of the automatic doors in the front were also broken, but have since been fixed. When I checked in, the room wasn't ready, they said it'd take 5 minutes, so I parked the car, came back, then they said 20 minutes. So we just left the bags with the door man and went out for an hour. We came back, and took the room keys and went up to the room finally. Breakfast was great, view of the Central station is cool. The best part of this hotel is the pool, jacuzzi, and sauna I think. The room was nice, the people were very polite, the subway station is just next to the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexander-Ansbergs
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I visited your hotel in order to watch tournament. I was very happy and satisfied there. If is possible, I will come back. Your employes are very prepared, simpathetic, and your services are very good. I had no difficults in my staing.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
1  Thank Jose Domingos D
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Very central location opposite the main train station (literally across the road - which also has handy taxi rank outside) the hotel has large spacious rooms. Overall it can maybe do with a revamp but condition is ok. The bar/restaurant does close by around midnight (what ever happened to hotel bar being open as long as guests needed a drink?!). Well equipped gym with steam/sauna and pool and good selection for breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business