“Very nice get away”

Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Antwerp
Leiden, Netherlands
“Very nice get away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

My husband, our 11 year old daughter and I took Hilton up on their "get away this summer" offer; a stay for 3 persons in a double room, with free extra bed and breakfast, at a very nice price.
The room was really comfortable, the breakfast very good and the staff was excellent. So friendly and accomodating! Our daughter loved the experience. Antwerp is a lovely city and worhwhile visiting. The Hilton is right in the center near the Cathedral; the perfect location for a city break. Great hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Arienne
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Dear Arienne,

I wanted to immediately respond to your very positive review and thank you very much for taking the time to share your experince with fellow travellers through the Trip Advisor web site. It is always great to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay in our hotel (and of course in our wonderful city). My tyeam and I are very happy to read that you, your husband, and your daughter all enjoyed your stay, and we hope that when your travel plans bring you back to Antwerp, that you will once again consider the Hilton Antwerp your 'home away from home.'

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

I had stayed at Hiltons before and have had nothing but great experiences with them, so we didn't think twice before booking this hotel at an amazing value. We only paid €110 including breakfast.

We arrived a bit early, around 1pm. Check in is usually around 3 but the lady was really really friendly and said she had a "beautiful room" ready for us. And she did! The room was huge! We later found out that the room's value was €399 and since breakfast was included for us, we basically only paid €60 for the room.

The room was big, the bed was incredibly comfortable and I love when they give you two big pillows, so that was a plus. The bathroom was big (it had both a shower and a bathtub) and clean, except for some stains in the shower and bathtub.

We had breakfast buffet the next morning and it was incredible. They had a huge variety of foods to choose from. Salmon, cheeses, hams, buns, fresh fruit. The breakfast area was overlooking the Groenplaats en you could also see the Cathedral from there.

There's a parking garage right next to the hotel, which will cost you 16€ a day, but if you park 200 meters further, you will pay 14,20€ a day. It is in walking distance from the Cathedral and the Grand Place, as well as the big shopping street, Meir.

We will certainly be back here!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Jazzabelle85

I just wanted to immediately write and thank you for your great review. It is always encouraging to read of someone's positive experience, as our goal is to meet and exceed the expectations of all our guests. I am very pleased we succeeded, and we all certainly hope to be able to welcome you back to the Hilton Antwerp again in the not too distant future.

Thank you again.
Germany+LA, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

There, my first stay in Antwerp in 6 years or so. I chose the Hilton because they usually treat me nice. Location is 3 km from the station, the taxi is only 7 or 8 EUR.
The Hilton looks good from the outside, the location is great, right on one of the main squares. A short walk to the river, and to all the nice touristy city places, but also close to nice restaurants at good prices (belgian cuisine means french with larger portions and smaller prices).
Now, why do I call it puzzling. First of all, the corridors. I had to turn a lot of corners to get to my room, if I'd take a wrong turn then things would get tricky.
The lounge is not too bad, if very limited on snacks. The staff has a bit of an attitude and seems.. well.. grumpy?
Rooms are nice sized, have this dated look but are ok, not noisy.. but as opposed to the grand look from the outside, the rooms facing the courtyard show that the Hilton is mostly facade, and inside is a bland, boring and convoluted building.
Gym only opened at 9 on weekends, but then it's a great gym run externally, not one of those storage rooms with three machines in them.
I would go back to the Hilton, and to Antwerp - I liked it better than Brussels lately!
4 Stars because the price was good over the weekend.

2 Thank Christina B
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Dear Brunneng,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience here at the Hilton Antwerp. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The Hilton Antwerp was built within the confines of the historic Grand Bazar building and the Historic facade houses our Restaurant, Bar, Meeting rooms and our Belle Epoque Ballroom, the largest Hotel ballroom in all of Belgium. The guest rooms are on the three top floors of the entire hotel building which does take up almost an entire square block, so yes, our corridors are quite extensive, however there is plenty of signage directing to guest room numbers. We are the only hotel in Antwerp with a true Executive Floor product with one of Hilton's most extensive and elegant lounges. The decor throughout the hotel, in keeping with the history of the original Grand Bazar building, is classic elegance. Our guest rooms, the largest in Antwerp, are all recently renovated (2010) in a classically elegant style with all the modern requirements of today's discerning business and leisure tarvellers.

We thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to be able to welcome you again to the Hilton Antwerp in the very near future.
Kaiserslautern
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

In 2006 I did the Antwerp half Ironman and on the three run laps past the Hilton I swore I would stay there if I didvthe race again. I am so glad I did in 2011. I advanced purchased a suite and we landed in the Ambasadore Suite. I laughed when I opened the door! The room was so big! It was the largest room we had stayed in Europe, with a great view of the Groenplasts. So large that our five year old son could wear himself out running around the room each night...sorry people the floor below! the rest of the hotel was reliable five star hotel..good staff, clean, good, but pricey restaurants. Parking was in a public lot below the hotel, so it was pricey, but you cannot expect otherwise in the middle of Antwerp. If I do the race again, I will certainly stay at the Hilton again.

• Stayed July 2011
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Dear Booker30,

What a fantastic review! Thank you so much for sharing your comments with other travellers through Trip Advisor, and congratulations to you for participating in the Antwerp IronMan!

It was great reading how much you enjoyed your stay with us, and having first seen our hotel back in 2006, and finally staying with us in 2011, I am so pleased to read we did not dissappoint! Hopefully, next year's IronMan will see you returning to our great city, and of course, we hope back to the Hilton Antwerp!

Thank you very much again, and all the best in your future travels.
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in August . The hotel is in a great location right in the centre . I t is within walking distance to most attractions i.e the shops , cathedral etc . There are lots of lovely restaurants very close by . The breakfast was very good and is served in a conservatory overlooking the square . The room was really spacious with a nice bathroom .
Hotel staff were friendly and helpful . I would definatley recommend this hotel . The only minus if you need to use wifi it will cost you 15 euros . I think that this should be included in a hotel of this standard .

Dear Sylvia92,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay at our hotel with fellow travellers here on Trip Advisor. It was great to read about your positive experience, and my team and I are very pleased you enjoyed yourself so much.

We all know you have a choice when you travel, and we are grateful you chose the Hilton Antwerp for your stay in our beautiful city. We look forward to being able to welcome you back soon.

Thank you again.
Fairport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

This was our first time to Antwerp and so were not familiar with the area. We are a frequent visitor of Hilton Hotels and so we decided to try the Hilton Antwerp. Thanks to some frequent traveler points on HHonors, we were upgraded to the Executive floor on arrival at check-in. The hotel lobby was large, open, and decorated very well. The front desk staff was friendly, helpful, and quick with check in and our questions about the area.

Once up to our room, we found a welcoming gift of Belgian Beer, souvenier glass and some Belgian chocolate waiting for us. A pretty good start to the stay! The king size bed was incredibly comfortable with plenty of pillows to share. The bath was great with a high showerhead (important for me) and plenty of room around the sink.

The location of the hotel is perfect on the main square in the old town. Just outside the door is a wonderful ice cream shop (a must on a hot day). Being centrally located, it was an easy walk in all directions to see Antwerp. It is about 3/4 of a mile from the main train station, and the walk is down a central street with lots of shopping. It is a pretty easy walk considering all the "distractions."

The executive lounge was very well done with great appetizers, snacks, and drinks. It was open and staffed the entire day, not just during happy hour.

All in all, a very good stay and experience. If we are back in Antwerp, our hotel choice will be easy!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Dear GolfIT,

I wanted to express my and my team's thanks for the lovely review you have posted on Trip Advisor. It is always a pleasure to read that the efforts made by my team have succeeded in meeting and exceeding your expectations.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with fellow travellers, and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Antwerp in the not too distant future.

Safe Travels!
Velox
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

We chose the Hilton Antwerp as it has long family memories for us and also because it was the ideal spot to break up our journey back the UK following our summer holiday. On arrival we were upgraded to the Executive Floor where Anja the host immediately recognised us and engaged us in converstaion. Meanhile our luggage was transferred to our room and our bikes plus bike carrier safely stored in the luggage room.
We dicided to eat in the hotel restaurant that evening and given the very competitive nature of the centre of Antwerp with its reputation for high quality food and service at all price levels, the Hilton provides normal Hilton standards but at very competitive prices. This also goes for the bar.
A good breakfast on the Sunday morning and with the help of Francis we loaded the car with our luggage and the bikes and set off for the final leg of our journey back to the UK. We both feel like the Hilton chain helped our journey back become part of the holiday.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
GM-Hilton-Antwerp, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Dear Velox,

What a great pleasure it was to read your wonderful review, which has of course been shared with my entire team, especially Anja! Thank you very much for sharing your comments with fellow travellers through Trip Advisor, and thank you for allowing the Hilton Antwerp to be a part of your holiday travels.

When travel takes you back to our area, we all do hope you will consider our hotel again.

Thanks again.