“Roomy, comfortable and convenient” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Antwerp Old Town

Hilton Antwerp Old Town
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Antwerp
Florida
“Roomy, comfortable and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

I stayed at this downtown hotel over the weekend with two family members, sharing a deluxe (business) room with my spouse and an adjoining standard room for the third adult. This arrangement is really nice due to the common door between the rooms. This facility has large rooms (the deluxe had a large standard bathroom AND a half bath!). The beds were adequate but not really up to Hilton quality in terms of linens and mattress comfort (come on, Hilton, your mid range Hampton Inns have great beds!). In addition, the towels were thin for a hotel in this price range (not a big gripe, but more a 2 star hotel level). Note that the value for this review is high because we were able to take advantage of a pre-paid "two nights for the cost of one plus free breakfast" offer that was available for the weekend. Otherwise, the value would be average at best since Hilton does not appear to allow more than two people per room here. I also commend the hotel for security in that you cannot access the room floors except by key card elevator. The location is wonderful for walking around Antwerp to see the sights (the fantastic cathedral is a practically next door -don't miss it). The hotel block is also home to a large indoor shopping mall, which has a decent supermarket in the basement - good for getting good Belgian chocolates at retail, not tourist, prices. The breakfast is very nice and tasty, with friendly table service to supplement the buffet (my usual complaint about European hotel breakfasts applies here - I wish they would include more fiber-rich cereals in addition to the sugary and refined varieties) . The desk staff did a nice job and were accommodating. Although an expensive business hotel for the most part, it is also fine for tourists and a decent value if you can get a special deal on the rates.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RobertKrygsman, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the fellow travellers of Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read your very positive comments and am hopeful that when your travels bring you back to our great city, you will once again plan to stay with us at the Hilton Antwerp.

Once again, thank you very much and we wish you continued safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

I've been to this hotel before, and each time i've loved it.
I don't think there is a better location in the city. I stayed during a heatwave, and the air conditioning was really needed and very welcome.
My room (room no 421 on 4th floor) was spacious, and i had no complaints.
If you can book well in advance and you're not likely to change / cancel your reservation once booked, you can get some decent reduced rates at this hotel.
No tea/coffee making facilities in the room, i missed my early morning cup of tea ! apart from that i could hardly fault my stay at The Hilton.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo

USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

I picked this hotel because of its location. I stayed for 1 night, but did not get the best impression.

1. I arrived at 1PM (check in is at 2PM). I asked for a higher floor, to have some view. The hotel is only 5 stories hight, the 3rd floor sounded OK. After getting to the room and looking out the window I was surprised to see some kind of a glass pyramid on top of the roof, right in front of me. It turns out, the hotel is built around a glass coupole of the adjacent department store. The room on the inside are looking at the glass coupole and other rooms. I called the reception and was offered an executive type room for a higher price or another same type room at 2PM. I went back to the reception, left my luggage and went out. I could have saved the time, had I received full disclosure about the room before going up.

2. At check in time, the hotel puts on hold the nighly room fee PLUS a hold on 150-250 Euros. Unfortunately, this fact came to my attention later in the day. It is not disclosed either in writing or verbally. I was told this was for "incidentals". Considering, that I had a reservation for only 1 night at 199 Euros, this amount seems excessive. Contrary to the Hilton staff knowledge, once the fund are put on hold , the hold does not "fall off" in a couple of days, but it stays for 30 days, unless the credit card company receives a specific request from the merchant to remove the hold. When I asked what "incidentals" were I was told it could be room service, restaurant charges, etc. Why not charge when you actually use any of them? It turned out, I did not have any of these charges.

3. Surprisingly, there was no bathrobe in the hotel bathroom. I called to inquire about it thinking it was a mistake. I have never stayed in a hotel where a robe was not offered in a "deluxe" room. I was told this is a recent cost saving measure. At the reception I was told it was offered in the executive rooms but not in the deluxe room. It is provided upon request. Unfortunately, if you are accustomed to have one, you are not thinking to request it until it is too late...

4. I requested a taxi to take me to the train station. The young woman kept calling me by a totally wrong last name. She also wrote the order into the book at the reception. I was just too annoyed to point this out to her.

5. When I returned to Paris, it turned out my friends left a message in the hotel at 9:30PM the previous night. Since I do not own a cell phone, this was the only way to reach me. They were concerned, when I did not get back to them. I never received the message. When I called the hotel from Paris the same day I checked out, I was told there was no record of any calls for me.

Overall, the hotel is old and tired looking. The lobby and reception are dark, not very appealing. The hotel is in need of some work. It has a very good location, this however does not make up for all the negatives. Next time, I will find another hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank morelucknexttime

Tuusula, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2009

This is not a 5 star super-luxury hotel but nevertheless a very decent place to utilize as a base for exploring the Antwerp sights. My review is based on 2 night stay in May’09.

Location:
Right in the middle of Antwerp Groenplaats square with lots of bars and restaurants within a stone’s throw. So you certainly don’t die of hunger or thirst in this place… Also plenty of shopping activities nearby, for example hotel lobby is directly connected to a mall.

Room:
Had a reasonable sized Executive Room in the 5th floor, not the biggest I’ve seen but more than enough for me as a single traveler. There was 32 inch LCD TV and the normal equipment such as safety box in the room. Bathroom had separate bath and shower sections. There was some noise from the corridor but very quiet otherwise.

Room had a complimentary 1l water bottle and some kind of gourmet vegetable plate. Oh and some Belgium chocolate, of course :-)

Etc:
Tap in the bathroom broke down completely! It was quickly fixed though

Didn’t try restaurant or gym so cannot comment them.

As HHonors Diamond member I was updated to executive floor and thus had access to the fairly large Executive Lounge. Sparkling wine was available apparently pretty much throughout the day. Breakfast in the lounge was OK, no great selection but anyway including also a small hot food selection (which is not always the case in this kind of lounge). I didn’t attend the evening hors d'oeuvres due to many interesting bars & restaurants in the city.

It was somewhat visible that hotel has not received a renovation lately, for example elevators were a bit outdated & slow. Not a major issue though since there wasn’t any peeling paint or stains in the walls etc as such

Would I return there?
Yeah, sure. Nice location for exploring Antwerp and not that expensive

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

Nice room on executive floor. Perfect lounge and even better breakfast!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple

Bergen County, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

This was our fourth stay over the last five years. There's certainly no sense of being "in Antwerp", but the "American" size and comfort of the rooms can't be beat. They are extremely quiet, even if you get a "front" window. This is a perfect location for touring Antwerp; Groenplaats has great subway and tram access, although it's not as close to the train station or the main outdoor bus plaza. (I've walked there, but not with a heavy bag.) The sunny breakfast room is very pleasant, with a view of the Reubens statue in Goenplaats. Grote Markt square, City Hall, the Tourist Office, and the Cathedral are just steps away. The Reubens House and the Meyer Vanden Berg museum are walking distance, the Royal Museum of Fine Arts is a mile away, but right on the #8 Tram from Groenplaats (tram direction to your Right, away from the Hilton.)

Your decision to stay here might consider the opportunity to price the room in advance on the Hilton website. By paying in advance, we got a basic (but huge, w/ King-size bed, separate tub and shower) room for 149 Euros/$193 per night, including all taxes and service charges. That's not "cheap", but for the level of comfort and location, it might be as good a value to you as to us.

We've never had the problems reported by the frequent-stayer who wrote a thoughtful but very unhappy review below. My wife (on business without me) once found the hotel overbooked, but they eventually got her a room somewhere.

If you drink a lot, are not interested in large meals, and are willing to spring for it, the Executive Floor here can be a good value. We didn't pay for it this time, and enjoyed the many fine restaurants in Antwerp. But the private 5th-floor lounge has vast amounts of hors d'oeuvres, free wine, beer and cordials, and a much quicker (if less lavish) breakfast than downstairs, if you have business meetings to get off to. The point is, you can skip some meals that way!

Speaking of food, the Hilton is located directly between the two best made-to-order waffle shops in this part of Belgium: Desire de Lille-Schoenmarkt 12, and Leon, Melkmarkt 29. For the really thrifty, the Hilton lobby is connected to a three-story shopping mall that has a huge supermarket in the basement. But of course, the mini-bars are too full to really use them as refrigerators in your room! I'll estimate that there are 50 restaurants within 100 yards of the Hilton.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank obsoperator

Lutz, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2009

The hotel has taken over the old Grand Bazar deparment store location on the Groenplatz, near the Cathedral, Meer, shops and restaurants. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The Breakfast Buffet was outstanding! we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with family