“Great service great location very parentfriendly”

Hilton Antwerp Old Town
Ranked #2 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Leiden
“Great service great location very parentfriendly”
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The best location in Brussel: nothing to add here
They have an excellent service: I arrived with my kid of 14 month old. As I wanted to go out to diner they organised for me a nanny for just 3 Euro an hour with great experience with kids! They also had a bed for him in the room and came to fetch his food to heat it and bring it back to the room.
The breakfast was of the high Hilton standard (next to the standard breakfast of fruit cereals bread in all varieties, fruit,....) there was champagne if you ate before 10.00 o'clock and I could order pancakes or waffels for my kid.
Only the airconditioning interface needs a manual to use it correctly, but that is quickly fixed with a phone call to the reception.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
RobertKrygsman, General Manager at Hilton Antwerp Old Town, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the fellow travellers of Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read your very positive comments and am hopeful that when your travels bring you back to our great city, you will once again plan to stay with us at the Hilton Antwerp.

Once again, thank you very much and we wish you continued safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
bristol
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We stayed on the August 'Ironman' weekend this year. The location is perfect for exploring Antwerp on one of the main squares and close to all tourist attractions qand shops allowing you to come and go easily. When we arrived we had been upgraded to a business room which was very spacious, our friends had been upgraded to a club room too so this may be common at weekends.

There is a public carpark under the hotel with direct access to the building which is very convenient but fairly expensive. Staff are all friendly, speak several languages and knowledgeable. Everything was most comfortable and well organised.

Not the most stunning hotel in the world - no wow factor but great location and would probably choose it again for this reason (stayed at the Radisson the previous year which was more luxurious but a bit of a trek into the town).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Ireland
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Ideal place to stay for tourists.
Being born & raised in Antwerp, I return there 2 times a year and the Groenplaats Hilton is the best location you can find.Just beside the cathedrale & the big square full of bars and restaurants.Main shopping street around the corner so you can drop your bags to the room.If price is a bit on the high site, it is worth it but don't get breakfast there if it is not included ( very expensive!!) but just walk the 10 metres to one of the cafe's on the square.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 30 July 2009

The Hilton in Antwerp is a typical Hilton. A nice charming facade towards the square fools you into thinking that this might be a nice place, but it is as soulless as only American chain-hotels can be. We stayed 2 nights for the price of one on a 'summer deal' and that was still too expensive for this hotel.

The room was a completely standard hotel-room, even though the window was bolted so it could only open 15cm. On top of the minibar sat a half litre bottle of standard water and a tiny can of pringles. Upon consulting the minibar brochure we saw that they charge SEVEN!!!!! Euros for half a litre of water. Water mind you, Not morning dew collected by virgins on a full moon or 12yr whiskey, but bog standard water.

Breakfast the first morning was complete chaos. A young girl was standing taking room numbers on entry, but didn't seem to grasp that something was wrong when 10 couples were wandering around amidst dirty tables. Had to go and tell her to get someone to clean a table where we could sit. The breakfast buffet was completely standard, nothing missing, but nothing interesting either.

Charging €15 pr. night for an 512/128 internet connection, €25 for 1/256 (I think) and €35 (yes, THIRTY-FIVE EURO) pr. night for 2/1 mbit is simply horrendous and completely unacceptable in 2009.

They did provide a free shower cap. What will they think of next? Charging for a pillow, but providing free feed for your mammoths?

On the day of checkout they decided to have some work done on the elevators, so they would be shut down. At what time of day did they shut down the elevators I hear you ask - during the middle of the day when the hotel is empty? No between 0950 and 1030 which is probably when MOST of the guests on summer-vacation would like to either check out or go out into they city after breakfast.....

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robotron3000

Florida
Reviewed 11 July 2009

I stayed at this downtown hotel over the weekend with two family members, sharing a deluxe (business) room with my spouse and an adjoining standard room for the third adult. This arrangement is really nice due to the common door between the rooms. This facility has large rooms (the deluxe had a large standard bathroom AND a half bath!). The beds were adequate but not really up to Hilton quality in terms of linens and mattress comfort (come on, Hilton, your mid range Hampton Inns have great beds!). In addition, the towels were thin for a hotel in this price range (not a big gripe, but more a 2 star hotel level). Note that the value for this review is high because we were able to take advantage of a pre-paid "two nights for the cost of one plus free breakfast" offer that was available for the weekend. Otherwise, the value would be average at best since Hilton does not appear to allow more than two people per room here. I also commend the hotel for security in that you cannot access the room floors except by key card elevator. The location is wonderful for walking around Antwerp to see the sights (the fantastic cathedral is a practically next door -don't miss it). The hotel block is also home to a large indoor shopping mall, which has a decent supermarket in the basement - good for getting good Belgian chocolates at retail, not tourist, prices. The breakfast is very nice and tasty, with friendly table service to supplement the buffet (my usual complaint about European hotel breakfasts applies here - I wish they would include more fiber-rich cereals in addition to the sugary and refined varieties) . The desk staff did a nice job and were accommodating. Although an expensive business hotel for the most part, it is also fine for tourists and a decent value if you can get a special deal on the rates.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I've been to this hotel before, and each time i've loved it.
I don't think there is a better location in the city. I stayed during a heatwave, and the air conditioning was really needed and very welcome.
My room (room no 421 on 4th floor) was spacious, and i had no complaints.
If you can book well in advance and you're not likely to change / cancel your reservation once booked, you can get some decent reduced rates at this hotel.
No tea/coffee making facilities in the room, i missed my early morning cup of tea ! apart from that i could hardly fault my stay at The Hilton.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo

USA
Reviewed 14 May 2009

I picked this hotel because of its location. I stayed for 1 night, but did not get the best impression.

1. I arrived at 1PM (check in is at 2PM). I asked for a higher floor, to have some view. The hotel is only 5 stories hight, the 3rd floor sounded OK. After getting to the room and looking out the window I was surprised to see some kind of a glass pyramid on top of the roof, right in front of me. It turns out, the hotel is built around a glass coupole of the adjacent department store. The room on the inside are looking at the glass coupole and other rooms. I called the reception and was offered an executive type room for a higher price or another same type room at 2PM. I went back to the reception, left my luggage and went out. I could have saved the time, had I received full disclosure about the room before going up.

2. At check in time, the hotel puts on hold the nighly room fee PLUS a hold on 150-250 Euros. Unfortunately, this fact came to my attention later in the day. It is not disclosed either in writing or verbally. I was told this was for "incidentals". Considering, that I had a reservation for only 1 night at 199 Euros, this amount seems excessive. Contrary to the Hilton staff knowledge, once the fund are put on hold , the hold does not "fall off" in a couple of days, but it stays for 30 days, unless the credit card company receives a specific request from the merchant to remove the hold. When I asked what "incidentals" were I was told it could be room service, restaurant charges, etc. Why not charge when you actually use any of them? It turned out, I did not have any of these charges.

3. Surprisingly, there was no bathrobe in the hotel bathroom. I called to inquire about it thinking it was a mistake. I have never stayed in a hotel where a robe was not offered in a "deluxe" room. I was told this is a recent cost saving measure. At the reception I was told it was offered in the executive rooms but not in the deluxe room. It is provided upon request. Unfortunately, if you are accustomed to have one, you are not thinking to request it until it is too late...

4. I requested a taxi to take me to the train station. The young woman kept calling me by a totally wrong last name. She also wrote the order into the book at the reception. I was just too annoyed to point this out to her.

5. When I returned to Paris, it turned out my friends left a message in the hotel at 9:30PM the previous night. Since I do not own a cell phone, this was the only way to reach me. They were concerned, when I did not get back to them. I never received the message. When I called the hotel from Paris the same day I checked out, I was told there was no record of any calls for me.

Overall, the hotel is old and tired looking. The lobby and reception are dark, not very appealing. The hotel is in need of some work. It has a very good location, this however does not make up for all the negatives. Next time, I will find another hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo