“Disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Antwerp
Worthing, England
“Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here last year in Room 358,which was very good, so we booked to stay again this year. 10 days before our arrival, I phoned the hotel and asked if we could have the same room, or a similar one at the back of the hotel,overlooking Statiestraat, and was told that this would bearranged. 3 days before our arrival, I phoned again, and was assured that we would have a room as requested.
On arrival, we were given the key to Room 240, which was much smaller, overlooked the front of the hotel, and was approached by 5 stairs without a handrail, which was very difficult for us, as we are octogenarians. We went back and asked for a room, as requested, at the back of the hotel, where the approach is on the level. We were told that, despite the assurances which we had been given, none was available: we could have a larger room, but this was some distance from the lifts, so we looked at that - we had to go down the same 5 stairs, then mount a further flight of about a dozen. So, as we had paid in advance, we had no alternative but to stay in Room 240.
There were no drawers, no wardrobe, but a bar above the centre of the mirror with clothes hangers, so that hanging clothes obscured the mirror: all other clothing had to stay in the case. There was a 6 inch step up to the shower room, which was a trap for the unwary. Several other guests told us that their rooms were small, and that they would certainly not return.
The good points about the hotel, which persuaded us to come again, are its nearness to Centraal Station, the fridge and safe in the room, the helpfulness of all of the staff we met, cleanliness, and constant hot water. The breakfast was the usual Continental mix of cereals, cold food, hot drinks and a toaster: the scrambled egg was uninviting.

Room Tip: The room which we had last year, at the rear of the hotel overlooking Statiestraat, was quite good...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Overijse, Brabant, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

The hotel is in a great location, right next to the central station and to the main shopping strip. There are plenty of restaurants and the zoo is very close by, just behind the station. The rooms were good and clean. Not to expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RoisinMcMorrow
Truro, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Although the location is great (opposite centrale station) everything else was terrible. The hotel had already charged my card (which they were not supposed to do). The room was stiflingly hot. The plug in the sink was broken and shower was blocked. When I called reception to inform them they told me that there was a machine to fix it (which makes me think this happens regularly), but the receptionist didn't know where it was, so would get the maintenance man to come an fix it first thing. The next morning I kept calling reception and no-one came until 10/30. The receptionist was quite rude. I asked if we could have another room as we wanted to leave the hotel early as we only had one day in antwerp (the reason why we came the night before and chose not to have breakfast). He informed me there were no other rooms. We did not get to leave the hotel until 11.00 - when we had wanted to leave at 8.00. When I told the receptionist that I was unhappy with this - he was again rude and just said 'well it's fixed now'. He offered no compensation or apologies - they had already charged my card so I couldn't go to another hotel. Usually if there is a problem with the room, you are either offered another room or given some sort of compensation. This was the worst customer service I have ever come across. There were also no coffee/tea making facilities, no satellite t.v., and the room was not particularly clean.
Never go to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Antwerp hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed at the Leonardo Hotel in May of 2012 (NOT 2013!). While the hotel is centrally located and just seconds away from Antwerp Central station and the Antwerp Zoo, the amenities are not all that grand. The interior of the room however is nice, rather artistic, which I liked. The bed was a little hard and the pillows are the smallest I had ever seen on a hotel bed, lol ;) Now, the fact that there was major construction going on at Antwerp Central station, was to no fault of the hotel, obviously. But since I was in a room on the top floor overlooking the train station from my room, the noise was unbearable! Since there was no airconditioning, I had no choice but to sleep with the windows open... need I say more...? At 7AM the noise would start. And not only that, the bathroom window absorbed the sunlight perfectly, which turned the miniscule room into an OVEN... and the heat would penetrate through the sliding door of the bathroom, so needless to say my stay was not a very pleasant one. I did ask them for a fan, but all I got was a micro fan, one that you would place on the dashboard of your car... didn't help at all... Would I stay there again? Most probably not, even though the staff were friendly enough and the location is perfect...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Parigi, Francia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Have you ever been in a minuscule hotel room, with a lurid stained carpet? And have you ever been awaken at 3 am by the squeaking door of your neighbour's room? And then awaken again and again by buses or people screaming down in the street or toilet flushes? And then juggle with your razor, toothpaste, toothbrush and comb because they didn't bother to put a 10 € shelf in the bathroom? Well if you want to experience all this and even more, and pay 100 euros per night for this privilege, the Leonardo Hotel close to the Antwerpen Central station is made for you. Of course given all this luxury, the WiFi is not free - in 2013! - and you will pay good money for it, unless you can hook from your room the free wifi's offered by the city of Antwerp (!). The breakfast is average, little choice and little space but the lady is sympathetic at least. The bathrooms are clean, but expect to wait a couple of days for a replacement of the liquid soap dispenser.
In the Antwerp Central Station area there are better hotels, cheaper, cleaner and with a decent sound proofing. And free WiFi.
All in all I've found the Leonardo Antwerpen to have the worse quality/price ratio of my life (and I travel a LOT) and one of the worse for cleanliness and noisiness. Never again such a bad experience.

Room Tip: You can choose between a cramped dirty and noisy room (second floor), or simply a noisy one but less...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GallusCives
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed here overnight with our two young children. We had booked a junior suite but were upgraded to an apartment. It was a 2 floor apartment with a double room upstairs and a small kitchenette and sofabed downstairs. The upstairs room had a 2 bar railing running the length of the stairs so, afraid that the children could fall through we decided they should sleep downstairs. But when we opened the window we were horrified to realise it was a single door that opened straight out to a vertical 40ft drop with just again 2 bars across! Thankfully we could push the bed against the window so the kids couldn't open it but I couldn't believe it!
Other than that, the location was great and the staff were friendly. As we were only there one night we didn't bother trying to change rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

First the positives- you cannot beat the location if you are arriving at the Central Station. It's just across the road.
It's all close to an area where loads of trams and buses leave, so it's great for travelling around from.
You are on a busy shopping street with plenty of reasonably priced restaurants including McDonalds, Subway and Pizza Hut if you aren't feeling adventurous. Plus Meir, a main shopping street is a 5 minute walk.
The staff were all lovely, speak excellent English and were very helpful.
There are two computers in the lobby for free Internet.
Breakfast was buffet style and typically continental pastries, fruit juice, yogurts, cereals, cheeses, cold meats, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, toast, tea and coffee.

The negatives - the corridors and rooms were very tired, the corridors were very poorly lit and felt claustrophobic. The floors seemed thin so it felt like everyone was wearing lead boots!
The room was small, though 3 beds fitted adequately. The bathroom is tiny.
We had a quiet room out back but I can imagine rooms overlooking the street could be very noisy indeed as they are on a busy junction opposite the Central Station and the busy streets.

It's good value if you get a cheap deal and super central. I would stay again if I was assured a quiet room and needed somewhere cheap.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family