“Oasis among the avant garde”

Hotel De Witte Lelie Antwerp
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Tiburon, California
“Oasis among the avant garde”
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the De Witte Lelie while on holiday in Antwerp. What a pleasure! This venue is part of Th Small Luxury Hotel properties, and it lived up to its name. Centrally located and within walking distance to many gourmet restaurants, fine shopping and "cool" sites, one cannot go wrong staying here. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The accommodations were fantastic--large room, modern bath and beautiful amenities. I look forward to my next stay here!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SHeiss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Essen, Germany
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had a girl s weekend in this picturesque hotel in one of the quiet lanes of Antwerp town. rooms were not too big, but a good size and beautifully decorated. The style of the hotel is a mix of eclectic, modern and shabby chic, Belgian style. The kitchen is very traditional, cosy and offers a perfect start to the day with wonderfully homemade bread, fresh juice and the smell of fresh coffee. lovely! Caution: the garage is tiny for 4x4 s and my friend had a real problem getting in ..and getting out ...I would definitely recommend this little hotel in the buzzling town of trendy Antwerp!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I had never been to Antwerp before and wasn't sure what to expect. I knew it was small and had a medieval centre with a lovely cathedral, surrounded by bars and restaurants. The hotel, De Witte Lelie, which I found on Trip Advisor was utterly gorgeous. The breakfast room, the outdoor courtyard with fountain, the quirky decor in the living spaces and the bar, to my room itself was a complete delight. The outside is that of a grand house in a small, narrow cobbled street. Inside the giant chandelier and old meets new decor was perfect. The immediate feeling of calm you get percolates through the entire hotel. Laid back, beautiful and informal but still glamorous. It's a hard trick to pull off but here it works completely. I booked the Presidential Suite and all my dreams came true. The enormous living room with three giant windows, rose velvet sofa, enormous chandelier and marble fireplace was adorned with orchids and jars of toffees and sweets! My heavenly bedroom fused pure gold wallpaper with a gold and white bedspread with fuscia pink soft furnishings. An enormous white marble bathroom with excellent bath and shower, two flat screen televisions and a mini bar with free juices and fresh coffee machine made the offer complete. I needed to work and had a deadline to meet. So, rather than stay upstairs I took advantage of the free wifi throughout the hotel and set myself up at a table in the courtyard. Charlotte who checked me in, looked after me with glasses of apple juice and pistachio nuts, extension leads for my laptop and even lent me her calculator for two days! Breakfast was a variety of fresh, cooked to order dishes or continental breakfast or fresh cheese and ham or sweet pastries. Curiously candlelit, which was unusual but worked, the open plan kitchen with its lime-washed beams really gave you a lovely start to the day. Relaxed, friendly, smiling staff are a real asset to this hotel. I was really well looked after throughout and when my colleague joined me the next day, a restaurant was found, taxis ordered and information provided instantly. A really good, well run hotel that I would definitely return to. Oh and while there's no restaurant for lunch or dinner, they have an extensive take-away menu and will set you up a table in the courtyard or up in your room or in a lounge complete with white linen and glasses. Fabulous!

Room Tip: The Presidential Suite is really lovely and the best. However, my colleague had a duplex room which...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 21 August 2013

A real small luxury hotel !!!
Great common areas and wonderful courtyard where breakfast is served. Although located in a side street it is practically in the very city center.
Opt for a junior suite (much nicer than regular Duplex rooms).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Interlaken, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This is a real gem in the Middle of the old town. It is so low key that we passed it by when we were looking for it. You will have to ring the bell to gain entrance through a old and wide door into a beautifully arranged entrance.
Our bedroom gave to the interior court, really nice and quiet, the living room towards the road which, especially during night time was not much frequented.
Outstanding breakfast cooked in front of you to your liking. The only challenge is to gain access to the underground garage, especially when you are driving a larger car or return back to the hotel after having had a couple of Trapists.

Room Tip: Rooms to the interiour court are definitely quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Xian1949
den bosch
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at The Witte Lelie. We first checked in at Hotel Julien but we had a few reasons to flee from there and luckily The Witte Lelie had one room left for us.
We'd wanted to book The Witte Lelie in the first place but they were fully booked at the time we planned our trip. We were very happy that they'd had an cancellation so we could stay there anyway. It is a small hotel but we think it is an amazing place. It is beautifully decorated (antique and modern with a twist), and the staff made us feel as if we were at home. They were all so friendly, always smiling, and helpful too..
We had a duplex room, with a big walk-in closet (an extra room actually), and a great bathroom (I love the Hermes shampoo/soaps etc)
Breakfast was so much fun, to sit there in the kitchen and to see how our eggs were boiled ;) One morning it was quite sunny so we sat outside in the small romantic garden for half an hour and they brought us our coffee there.
Whenever we'll go back to stay in Antwerp, we'll only stay in The Witte Lelie!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Incredibly good hotel. I really enjoyed every single moment. I can only recommend it. For a jetlagged visitor it's just a welcoming haven of rest, comfort and relaxation. First stay in Antwerp. I loved it, a charming mixture of modernity and tradition. I'll return for sure!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business