“Large room, good location”
Review of Hotel Scheldezicht

Hotel Scheldezicht
Ranked #58 of 72 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 5 January 2010

In short, I was very satisfied with this hotel. I wish all of the hotels I stayed in were this commodious, tasteful, and affordable.

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night in #14, a large room (perhaps 300 square feet) on the first floor. It was perfectly functional, and it had a few touches that kept it from being as sterile as many hotel rooms are. The room had high ceilings with some period moldings preserved, large windows (with curtains) facing St. Jansvliet square, wall-to-wall carpeting, and a small, recently remodeled bathroom that met our needs. The room was furnished with queen bedframe (with two twin mattresses), a nice armoire and side table (used as a TV stand), and wicker furniture. There was only a little noise, from the occasional passersby on this quiet street.

Since I had visited Antwerp before, I chose this hotel in large part because of the location, and I wasn't disappointed. It was close to the cathedral, the river, and other historic sights, but just far enough away from tourist attractions. St. Jansvliet itsef can be pleasant, and we enjoyed a few beers at a small bar on the opposite side of the square. The hotel is also quite close to the fashion and vintage stores in the St. Andries neighborhood, and a pleasant 20-minute walk to the Museum of Fine Arts and the 't Zuid neighborhood, where I wish we could have spent more time.

The front desk was staffed by young women who efficiently checked us in and out and quickly restocked the standard Continental breakfast buffet when it had been depleted. The light-filled breakfast room, which also faces the square, was a pleasant place to start the day.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Scheldezicht

An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 3 November 2009

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Some of the reviews on this page are a little unfair to this hotel -- I think it must have had some work done on it since the last few were written as it is certainly not as bad as previous contributors make it sound. It's a friendly place with a bit of character that charges reasonable rates in an excellent location -- bang in the middle of Antwerpen's historic city centre in an attractive square, St Jansvliet, by the entrance to the Schelde foot tunnel. The Grote Markt and cathedral are only a short stroll away, as is Groenplaats underground tram station with regular services to Antwerpen Centraal station. The river Schelde is within spitting distance -- the hotel name means "Schelde view" and indeed some of the rooms do have this, just.

Yes, it's a bit shabby round the edges -- the door handle to my room was a bit loose and the hallways won't win prizes for decor, but my room was spotlessly clean, well appointed and the bed was comfortable. Breakfasts buffets of bread, ham, jam and cheese are par for the course in Belgium and the ones here are no worse than average in my experience. And yes, the stairs are steep and there's no lift, but it's an old building, not a purpose-built new hotel.

There are some en suite rooms though most share toilets with two others on the floor. Most of the rooms without toilets do however have their own showers -- mine was fine and warm. I've stayed here twice and found the staff to be faultlessly friendly and welcoming. Your key also opens a separate door direct onto the square without coming and going via reception.

With the appalling exchange rate for sterling against the euro it no longer seemed as good value as last year though if I'd been travelling with a companion it would have been very reasonable. The fact they charge an extra 5% for credit card payments is annoying -- I paid cash. But then some cheap hotels in Antwerpen refuse to take card payments at all, despite displaying the signs and demanding card numbers to secure bookings. When will Belgium get over its resistance to plastic?!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank dirkgb
Reviewed 15 August 2007

I found the hotel information in Lonely Planet's guide to Belgium; since I'd had good luck with LP's suggestions in the past, I decided to book a room for 2 nights. The main entrance, which doubles as the breakfast room, seemed nice enough so I thought a good decision had been made. I soon found out how wrong I was. The stairwell smelled horrific and was very narrow and treacherous to negotiate with luggage. tomato_7 must have stayed in the same room as we did given the description; we counted at least 30 bloody squashed mosquitoes on the walls and killed about half as many during our stay, mostly the ones that kept us awake during the night. We also had some problems with noisy neighbours and phoned the front desk to register a complaint; a half-hearted attempt was made by the clerk to remedy the situation - he was no doubt annoyed that he was pulled away from his internet surfing. A subsequent call when the problem persisted went unanswered and we had a dreadful sleep as a result. Breakfast was little more than some sliced meat, cheese, day old bread rolls, and stale cereal which tasted of plastic. The only bright spot was that the housekeeper was the only one at the hotel who seemed to have pride in her job and did the best she could given the resources made available to her. We were lucky enough to have our own bathroom (though no shampoo was provided, as is the standard in most hotels) and our linens were refreshed daily.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2007

The photographs on the hotel website look very promising but are in fact very misleading. A group of us recently stayed there for a friends birthday. The hotel is in a great location - this is about the only positive thing about it. Everyone in the group was disappointed by the standard of the hotel. The linen and bathrooms seemed to be fairly clean but overall the hotel was very shabby and neglected. There were lots of mosquitoes squashed on the walls in our room. One of the wall lights was hanging off by the wires and the radiator was hanging off the wall. The stairwell was very dingy and smelt very musty as soon as you walked in. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2007

I booked this hotel based on their lovely website, and decided to splurge on a "garden view." The website shows a beautiful boutique-style hotel. What a lie! When my traveling companion and I arrived, we were given the key to room #1. Passing through the musty-smelling lobby, we ascended the stairs to our room, which featured peeling wallpaper above the bed, a window with an enormous crack across the length of it, and the "garden" was a tin roof with cigarette butts strewn about. When I asked for a second room, we were shown to #3, which was almost (but not quite) as bad. I have never felt so cheated by a hotel website. Beware if you book based on the inviting web photos.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank janyb68
Reviewed 27 April 2007

Only stay at this hotel if you don't mind very run-down rooms, and having to go across the hall to use the toilet and share it with two other rooms! When I booked, there was nothing on either the hotel website or on booking.com about the fact that there are no toilets in the room! I feel very mislead by my Eyewitness Guide, and the pictures on the websites. I felt that the hotel was very shabby. The shower and sink are just right there in the room - no bathroom! And my curtains didn't close all the way because some of the rings were broken. Luckily I had a hair clip that held them closed, or the old folks home behind the hotel would have had quite a show., As a woman staying alone in the room, I really don't want to cross a dark hall in the middle of the night. Also, the toilet was pretty dirty by late afternoon, and there was no soap dispenser so that you could wash your hands. You can imagine the bacteria on the door handle. YUCK!

I do have to admit that the sink, shower and linens seemed clean. But the room itself was pretty grim. The people at the desk were also friendly, but the toilet situation and the poor condition of the hotel make me feel compelled to write in order to warn others. I can't imagine that this is a popular hotel. There is nothing charming whatsoever about it.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends