“Really cool”
Review of Boomerang Hostel

Boomerang Hostel
Reviewed 9 January 2014

You don't get a key, the rooms are open at all times and you need to buzz them in order to get inside the building, but there's always some staff member in the common room to let you in. The decoration of the common room is tacky but edgy and cool at the same time, it was nice having a drink or two there before hitting town at night and also being able to smoke while enjoying their music before going to bed. The girl that assisted us for most of our stay simply knew what the perfect music was for each moment and our room was on the first floor so the next morning we woke up to Norah Jones. It was lovely!
Most probably not suitable for families or business, but it is located in the Jewish Quarter (really close to the centre, and my favourite part of the city) and it was really cheap. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

This old hostel is a 20 minute walk from center with its bars and sights.

The place is very old but homey and cosy. A large common area with books, games and such.

The dorms are old, beds thin, but they where good enough for 2 nights. Got bitten a lot but am not sure if this was because of bedbugs or Mosquitos.

The hosts are nice and friendly

Al in all old but not bad.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Weekend_traveler_87
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

It is easy to find. One there you have to ring a buzzer to get in. The common room area on first impressions doesn't look to bad it's not till you are sitting in there that you realise how much the place needs a good clean. The shower facilities are good as well as the cleanliness of them. The bedrooms look clean but I woke up with 3 bite marks this could of been from sitting downstairs in the evening I just don't know. For what we paid I suppose the quality was to be expected.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed here with my sister and we were not impressed, but decided to look on the bright side of things and laugh off how bad it was. We hadn't planned to be in Antwerp but hostel elsewhere being fully booked meant we ended up there. We were not happy about the smoking in the common room, but did enjoy playing card games with some of the guys who worked there. The decor was somewhat interesting... Our room had a lot of beds and not the cleanest sheets. There were only a couple of other people in our room. The bathroom was not very clean, but we were only there a couple of nights so decided to wait for a shower at our next stop.
It was ok for a last minute find, but I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't advise my friends to go there.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Heather N
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I read the bad reviews of this hostel beforehand but I decided to stay at the hostel anyways as I was on a tight budget and near the tail-end of my trip. Although the place is smelly (think: cigarette smoke mixed in with a farmhouse) and the neighbourhood wasn't the most picturesque, the staff were very, very friendly and accommodating and went out of their way to make sure I was happy and comfortable. They offered coffee and a breakfast with ham and cheese, and the downstairs lounge had a very chilled out vibe to it. The WiFi worked in my room which is also a bonus, and they had lots of plug ins so you can stay in your room all night on your laptop and hide away from the cigarette/farmhouse smell downstairs and in the hallway. I wouldn't recommend staying here if you want to be in Antwerp for longer than a night though.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room across from the communal bathroom on the 2nd floor that smells like a farmhous...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Apart from the fact that the place isn't clean, it's a beautiful building, nice staff and a great location. Ideal for backpackers, low budget and 24 hour stores in the same street.

Unfortunately I was the unlucky one to sleep in a bed with bedbugs. Smoking inside the hostel is so not done, you smell it everywhere. I saw a roof terrace, but it was not allowed to go there. Fix that and stop smoking inside.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sanfey85
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The entire place smelled of smoke and was not very clean. The walls had layers of dust on them and you had to rent your own sheets. Only good thing is that there were no other people in our room of 10 (6 of us). Still, we were up four flights of stairs!
Staff were nice, but I would not stay there again. For just a little more you could stay somewhere clean, more central and still basic.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends