“Very noisy but central location”
Review of Postiljon

Postiljon
Ranked #46 of 74 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This small hotel is located just next to the cathedral! hence while is very easy access to the tourist belt, nonetheless, have to be prepared of the noise! I stayed on the 2nd floor, and noise from the street is still clearly heard, unless i shut off the window totally - which makes it then too stuffy in the room.
there is no lift as well, hence had to carry up the luggage using a small narrow stairway. Room are small but most come with a wash basin. I had the one of shared bathroom, i.e. outside and its a separate shower room and a separate toilet.

There are no refreshments or coffee machine in the room, so be prepared to buy from outside which shouldnt be a problem since there are shops nearby.

Room Tip: For convenience sake, I might stay here but if you are looking for a holiday with a good night's...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cuddles08

Reviewed 14 May 2013

Stayed one night in this hotel, unluckily for us it was a Saturday night. Since the location of the hotel is very central, right at the cathedral, the whole night you heard a walking orchestra playing and people shouting and laughing. We had to leave early and had to get some sleep, otherwise a much better idea would have been to go out and join the crowd, because one has to have ear plugs to get asleep.
The room was clean. We had an en-suite bathroom but it had no door and there is no place in the room where you can avoid the view inside, "a little inconvenient". Mind that you cannot come to the hotel by car as it is in the pedestrian zone.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oknysh
Reviewed 8 November 2012

For the price we paid it was certainly a decent place to stay and were only there overnight . We reserved a room that had a private bathroom / toilet and while the room was VERY tiny, even by european standards, the bathroom was adequate , the room was clean enough and the bed and linens clean too. Our room looked right out onto the cathedral and we had beautiful windows which opened up onto window boxes filled with red geraniums and was s mini window seat.
The shared bath for the other two rooms on our floor was right outside our door BUT we were not disturbed by noises in the night.
The breakfast was one of the best selections we had on our two week trip with a wide variety of foods and fruits. The room is quite lovely too !
We talked to one of the people who worked there and they gave us a bit of the history of the hotel and found out this is a work in progress as far as the expansion and the new dining area- bar.
I am not sure whether we met any owner or just managers but all three persons we met were VERY friendly and VERY helpful to us !
While I am not sure I would stay there again for a long vacation as I do like a bit more breathing room and space, I certainly found nothing at fault with this hotel and do not regret staying here .
And, I would have no problem recommending this hotel .
Thank you for our overnight stay !

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sorrisa
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Maybe a good hotel for backpackers. Certainly way below avergae fort business travelers. Rooms are not in a good shape, and urgently need an extremen makeover. The breakfast room however is quite new and a completely different experience. Hence the title.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter J
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I stayed here over the weekend and was so disappointed with the service i have never written a review before but for the people who take this seriously, there are so many great places in Belgium and this is not one.
We arrived at the hotel greeted and given a room the price was given to us and we were going to pay that evening but the staff said we could pay on check out.
Woke up the next morning returned downstairs to pay our bill and they increased the rate. we refused to pay the increase, when the staff admitted her colleague was in the wrong still persisted we had to pay, the staff then called the police who thankfully were on our side and said they were in the wrong so we did not have to pay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank dino_aqt
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I am just back from a tour of Belgium. Visited Brussels, Ghent, Brugge and Antwerp, loved the place! I payed on average 60/70euro a night in all the hotels I used. So I was expecting the same level of quality as the rest.... I was wrong.

Hotel Postiljon was very well located (as where all the other hotels I stayed in) right in the heart of the historic part of town which was very nice and full of lovely old buildings and places to eat and drink.

However the hotel was a completely different experience. The staff where fine, very nice infact. The hotel entrance and restaurant all looked nice. It was the room I was in..... no toilet, no shower, they where in the hallway and I could barely sit down on the toilet, my knees where up against the wall (Im only 6ft and not overweight). The shower had a blown buld so I couldnt use it. My room stank, smelt stale and dirty, thats why the windows where wide open I guess. Beds where filthy, blankets where off so I could see the mattress. Pillows also had stains all over them. When I woke the following morning I was covered in bites, must have been bed bugs or fleas. No sound insulation so could here the street and rooms all around me.

My advice to you is not to stay here. You can pay more for a room with a bathroom I think? But that costs more and for the same price you may as well stay in a better hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scalo
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

The Location of this hotel is all it really had going for it. It's a half an hour walk from the train station to the centre. Right opposite the cathedral (which is being worked on at the moment, so expect an early wake up call). The staff are rude, you have to pay up front before even seeing your room, never a good sign. The Walls are so thin you could hear people going to the toilet constantly. Not a great place. Not recommended and I definitly would not stay here ever again.

• Stayed: September 2012