“Good location, nice place. but mind your reservation”
Review of Postiljon

Postiljon
Ranked #51 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 23 August 2009

In Summary -
Nice hotel, simple and clean, might be a bit noisy, but in a very center point.
Do make sure that you reservation is ok, I would call them up before.

In long-

The hotel is nice and located in a very good center point.

The rooms are cute and simple.
There is no door between the room and the shower room.
The shared toliet outside is very clean.

We got a room facing the Cathedral, which was quite noisy.
If you are travelling when it's warm outside, you will end up opening the windows, which is very noisy at night.

I would recommend ordering a room not facing the Cathedral, as this option is possible.

Make sure to call and check your reservation.

The problem In short - the hotel changed my room and told me about this on the phone.
On arrival I did not get the correct room (the one promised on the phone), and I was expected to pay an extra 10 Euro for the booking fee (that I have already done in the original booking).

In my mind when the hotel makes a mistake, the customer is not the one who is supposed to spend 20 Euro Extra because of the mistake.
I was told that I will have to pay the extra money.
However after they understood that I have intention of doing that, they were willing to pay (but they were very very close to loose me as a customer).

After this incident the staff was very kind and nice.
So I did enjoy my stay and have good things to say about the place.
So perhaps this is not a reoccuring problem.

I would go again to this hotel, but only after calling and cofirming my reservation by phone.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank y_London

Reviewed 14 July 2009

Last year, we celebrate his cozy to Antwerp and from the hotel Postiljon gone. It was fine and we have a wonderful weekend. The room was good and the breakfast was nothing wrong.
However, I am completely Bewildered after today. Last weekend we were a weekend Antwerp "do". Delicious fun and that was it!
But not in Postiljon Hotel, it was full, but that can happen. When we were home and my office were doing showed the hotel Postiljon the amount of our account had been written (136.50 euro) while we are NOT talking about, because it is was full. Still nothing wrong with that, just thought I nabellen and then we solve it on! Not so ...

I got a friendly woman on the phone which immediately began to talk about my story and not let me speak. Still no man overboard I thought ... but they kept on talking through me and pretending I was the person who had made an error, while the money just my take amortized (while we have not had eight ).
Long story short: I spoke to the woman who claimed to be the owner but I doubt that. Someone in such a way that his or her hotel run is not sustainable. Her name was Laurie's de Greef and de Greef Laury and wish her much strength! I'm never on such a onfantsoenlijke way aangsproken over the phone. Even to repeated requests from my side, I got no excuses for the request.

They say the problem to solve (at the end of the month) but I got a hard head.
Dear visitors, it's a very nice hotel with good location but I recommend you this hotel is in no way. The eigenarsse is very impolite, rude and takes everything except serve on.

Last but not least, I am a smart young guy with pretty decent but madame threw out the horn!
Friendly greetings and a lot of fun in Antwerp!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Our stay in this small hotel was amazing!! We were there for only one night, but what a wonderful experience we had there! The rooms are very small, but cute (there are nice flowers for example) and very clean. We had to share the shower and toilet, but they were also very clean.
The hotel is right next to the cathedral and in the middle of the center, so we could walk to everything. That we found fantastic, though at night you can hear sometimes a bit noise from people outside.
The staff was very helpful: when I asked about a nice restaurant in the neighbourhoud they drawned the route out on the map for me, telling me about other nice sightseeings too in a very enthusiastic way.
It is also very cheap, for two people one night costs 60 euros!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to everybody. It is a small, cosy low-priced hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank amelia1507
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Yes the stairs are steep, and the bells ring loud, but that's all part of it's charm. Good service, clean rooms and facilities, and an amazing location. Literally next to the cathedral, and a just a short walk to the Grote Market. Our room was on the top floor, and through the rooms skylight, we had the most amazing view of the Cathedral towering above us. The photo says it all. If you're after basic accomodation right in the middle of it all - and don't mind a stair climb - then Postiljon is the best!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cottonsockz
Reviewed 26 June 2009

We have just returned from Antwerp and a 5 night stay in this hotel. Our room was on the first floor with quite steep steps so I would not recommended it to anyone who this would cause problems to as there is no lift. Our room (number 4) was situated at the back of the hotel. You could hear the Cathedral bells but unlike some other guests who have commented on the noise, we found they added to the medieval charm of the place and when we were there they did not ring until late into the night. I think if you are going to choose to stay right opposite a cathedral you cant really complain about this type of noise. The location could not have been better being right in the old town square which is the most attractive place to stay in the city. We found the staff very friendly and helpful although the cleaning staff kept some strange hours. We twice returned well after 4.30pm to find them cleaning our room. The room itself was very comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities and a nice modern bathroom. The only inconvenience was that the bathroom had no door and as it was situated opposite the large windows overlooked by other properties, we felt the need to close the curtains to retain privacy. I dont know why a door wasn't fitted as there seemed to be plenty of room for one. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but the little breakfast room looked clean and cosy. If you are on a budget and want a traditional, friendly hotel with modern amenties this is the one for you. We loved it

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan0301
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I booked this hotel before seeing any reviews of it, and after coming on TripAdvisor, I'll admit I was a bit worried about what to expect...

In the end, we had a lovely stay here. The room was clean and comfortable and had a shower room and toilet. I loved the wooden furnishings and the cool windows and the bed was really comfy. Breakfast was in the morning was good (continental-style - so basically all the cereal, bread, yoghurt, fruit, cheese, cold meat and funny little cakes you can eat). We had a great view of the cathedral and the location was fantastic - right in the city centre. There were plenty of info leaflets in the reception area and the staff were friendly and helpful. I also liked that reception was open 24 hours a day - great if you want to experience Antwerp's nightlife (reportedly the best in Belgium).

However, I can certainly confirm some of the (less positive) things other people have said: the stairs are very steep, definitely not good if you have heavy luggage! I didn't think there was too much noise (except the cathedral bells of course, but they stop by about 9 pm and they're actually quite nice), though my boyfriend said he was woken up by the sound of people in the street outside. And I think it isn't always easy to tell exactly what bathroom facilities your room will have - there are rooms with just sinks, rooms with sinks and showers and rooms with sinks, showers and toilets. I suspect I only got a room with everything because I booked via the hotel's (Dutch-language) website. Also, the bedroom and the shower room didn't have doors on them - fine for solo travellers/couples, but maybe not ideal if you're staying here with friends or relatives!

On the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would definitely come back/recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank SusiQsi
Reviewed 18 July 2008

What a great deal. Friendly service, clean rooms, amazing location, great price. Probably the best beal in my month long visit to Europe. Location is across the street (literally) from the cathedral, and a 50 foot walk to Grote Market. The service was very friendly, and it cost 40 euros. If your looking for luxury accomodation, this is not it, but if you looking for basic clean accomodations in the city center, I don't know how could improve upon Postiljon.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo