“Fancy food, casual atmosphere”
Review of Duval - CLOSED

Duval
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The food was exquisite - except for the main dish, which was quite awkward for everyone in the group. I'd like to have a taste of the asparagus soup and chocolate cake any time, but the fish and potatoes served as the main thing were very unsatisfactory. Maybe the chef just had a bad day. We had a set menu, so I can't talk a lot about the overall offer, but judging from the wine and beer selection, I'd say it's quite amazing - as was the waiter who was not intrusive at all, but always somewhere around to help. The place is simply furnished but quite pleasant, and the prices... are as prices get in this parts of the world.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Brasserie Duval manages to combine a casual atmosphere with top-notch Belgian gastronomy. For an opener, you can enjoy a beer from a list that even a Belgian beer aficionado will find to be an adventure--obscure yet awesome micro-brews. And it only gets better from there. We intentionally ordered different dishes, and what struck me was how there was absolutely nothing in common between any of them! Some reviewers seem to be disappointed about the serving sizes; I think they simply made the mistake of missing dessert! This dessert menu was no afterthought; the same spirit of adventure and variety is present in spades. Our server, Johan, was perfect--hospitable, witty, and a wealth of information. One of my favourite restaurants in Antwerp--and that's saying a lot!

1  Thank 0n_a_whim
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The chef there definitely knows how to cook! Everything was seriously delicious! I had a main dish of grouse (a kind of a bird) which was very interesting, with very flavorful sides of seasonal vegetables , each with a distinctive taste and texture which went wonderfully well with the gamy meat. A very pleasant culinary experience , and the service was excellent as well.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was by Duval a couple of days ago with some of my friends and we had a great time. the food was great, we loved the atmosphere. We took as starter a pompoen veloute, a vegetarian dish and it tasted delicious. as main course I had sint jacobsvruchten . I has impressed by the way the ingredients were combined to make this dish.
One of the things I also like is that they have vegetarian, fish and meat dishes.
We had a great Romanian white wine and the waiter gave us a lot of information about the dishes and the wine. We had a great time there and we will definitely repeat the experience.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

A couple of days ago I went to Duval for the first time.
I live about 50 meters away from this place, so I pass by very often yet never felt like going in.

The food is VERY tasty, but... I just get put off by how they want to be too "fancy".
The style in which the menu is made up is supposed to be posh.
The prices are rather high considering the portions are not very large.
When you look at the menu and the prices you would expect professional service, but...
the waiter I got was just a clumsy boy, the style you'd expect in a pizzeria or average dinner cafe.

In my opinion the restaurant would do better if they would drop the attitude and let the food speak.