“great dim sum and original Chinese food”
Review of Fong Mei

Fong Mei
Ranked #288 of 1,427 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Brussels, Belgium
“great dim sum and original Chinese food”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Enjoyed lunch here with the family. We had the menu of the chef (30€ per person).
It started with a large & original variety of dim sum, the house specialty (7 pieces each). Just delicious!
The main courses included duck, shrimps, pork chops, squid, bami and rice. All prepared in a special way. We we're able to eat all and asked for a doggy bag.
So if you like Chinese food and you're looking for a restaurant that surprises you with original preparations, this is the place.
Service was very good and friendly.

• Visited July 2014

Belgium
“Good first experience - Will most certainly return!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This place came recommended by one of my aunts so even though it didn't look very inviting from the street, went for it!
Decided on one of the Set Menu's...(since the menu is SO loooong and I wasn't in the mood to go through it all).

Wan Tan soup: very good!
Mixed Dim Sum Starter: 5 delicious dim sums
Main: prawns with cashews & veal in... some sauce I cant remember the name of.

Next time I'll stick to just soup and more types of dim sum - they have like 25 different ones to choose from.

• Visited June 2014
Brussels Belgium
“Good Chinese”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

In my experience there aren't many good Chinese r,restaurants in Belgium but this is one of them.

We took the dim sum starter to begin which was five different dim sum. All were nice, maybe a couple were a little greasy but still enjoyable.

We then had very nice Peking duck followed by Kung Po prawns which was properly spicy.

The only negative aspect of the restaurant was the almost total lack of atmosphere but we will return to try other dishes.

• Visited April 2014
Brussels
“Seriously overrated”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

"The Gault Millau people didn't have their best day when they came here" - that´s what my friend said when we left Fong Mei after he took me there a second time.
Can you have bad luck in a restaurant twice in a row? Maybe. I love dim sum and will eat it wherever I can, but this place is definitely not the best place to eat it. The first time we went there, we took the surprise dim sum menu. Can´t say it was bad. It was ok, but in no way refined or surprising. The second time we took a basic dim sum menu, and it was just plain. I´m not exaggerating when I say that the frozen ready made dim sum I sometimes buy in the Delhaize supermarket chain is better.
Many things can be said about the service here and many reviewers have done so. The first time, we had to wait a long time. The second time, we got the wrong menu at first - though it was corrected right away. My friend then told me a hilarious story about the very first time he came here with his girlfriend (she now refuses to come back here) - she took a specific menu because it included a dish of frog legs. After a long wait, the table next to them who ordered the surprise menu got a dish of frog legs. My friends´ dish never came. You guess what happened. What you won´t guess is what happened next: they tried to make the other table pay for the frog legs, claiming they ate it without saying they didn´t order it. Order it? When you take the surprise menu?
The restaurant in itself looks very unattractive, even for a Chinese restaurant, and so do the dishes - don´t be fooled by the pictures on the website.
Maybe I had bad luck twice in a row. The other explanation is that this is a Chinese emperor with no clothes. Gault Millau says it´s great, so it has to be great. It isn´t.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank ClemRobyns
israel
“Best Chinese in Antwerp”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Good food with a huge choice, not fancy but pleasantly decorated. I will be much more adventurous with my choices when I return.

Visited December 2013