and 1 more site!
City Apartments Antwerpen
Ranked #34 of 73 Hotels in Antwerp
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This premises is located just 7-10 mins walk from Central Station, it located on a quiet street, so there are very minimum amount of traffic and no nearby night-life establishments within earshot.

I had stayed at City Apartments sister building opposite before - the Budget Flats so I was familiar with the facilities and accessibility of the premises.

The check-in and check-out times are stated on the booking website and again repeated in a email about 1 week prior. So if you need to check in or out at different times, then a request can be made at cost. There is generally 1-2 employees during the opening times stated but there is no staff located onsite outside these times.

My self-contained studio was large and clean with plenty of amenities. The kitchen included a oven, hob and microwave to cook your meals. Along with a kettle and fridge, there was plenty of cutlery and cooking appliances.

I have included my own photos of the room though not visible are a iron, ironing board and hair-dryer located inside the wardrobe and a large flat screen TV.

I had no problems connecting the free Wi-Fi provided by GratisWifi despite being on the 5th floor, it is limited to 200mb per day which is more than plenty internet usage. The bathroom was clean and had a bathtub - unusual for a budget accommodation - I took a bath every night to rest my weary limbs after a hard day of walking and there was always hot water available.

There was no safety deposit box despite the description on the booking website though the wardrobe had a basic key lock. The pillows were too soft for my liking but then, that's my own preference. A further problem was that several of the wall sockets didn't work,

I have travelled to plenty of destinations in Europe, staying at budget hotels and I enjoy my stay at City Apartments. The price for this accommodation is a great low price so you should not expect the same level facilities and luxuries of a 5* hotel.

Furthermore, similar priced budget hotels in Europe do not have bathtubs nor elevator facilities, normally there is a very cramped shower crammed into the room with steep winding steps. Also, double beds are normally two single beds pushed together, this is a common practise.

I always carry sets of ear-plugs with me however I never need to use them at this location. I enjoyed my stay at City Apartments in Antwerp and would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank missingspace

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked this apartment for my family (me, my wife and 2 daughters) for 2 weeks after looking at the photos on the Internet. It turned out that photos on the Internet are deceiving (at least for the apartment we stayed). The actual place was old, filthy and smelly. The neighborhood was not the best - it is an area populated mostly by immigrants (looks scary at first) but it was pretty quiet and close to the central train station (10 minutes on foot).

The kitchen was unusable (walls and floor covered in sticky drops), kitchen utensils were filthy, cabinets were also filthy (we found mouse droppings under the kitchen sink), refrigerator was dirty and had stuff from the previous residents. Everything in the kitchen was covered in dirty sticky drops (I assume it came from cooking steam from the previous residents). The floor, the walls, the cabinets, everywhere you touched it was sticky.

The bathroom and toilet were filthy. The shower curtain (originally beige) was dark brown at the bottom part (where it touched the water). The toilet (a small separate room) was also old and the tap was not working.

The bedrooms were small and dirty - there was no air conditioning, just one fan for 4 people living in 2 separate bedrooms. It was hot at night and the place was full of insects (similar to mosquitoes - not sure what exactly).

The living room was large but dirty. The TV was not working, remote control was broken and without batteries. Internet was free but there was a limit on the download amount - you then had to buy access to it.

A laundry room at the basement was also filthy...

Service was terrible. There was a lady who said was the manager of the place. She looked surprised when we told her that the place was dirty!!! Have a look at the photos... She changed the bathroom curtain on the same day and said she would talk to the owner about the rest of the problems but nothing happened. We had to go to a supermarket and buy cleaning materials in order to clean the kitchen and bathrooms, something that proved to be impossible.

After 4 days of trying to talk to someone in charge and see if they could give us another apartment (or take us somewhere else), I decided to book a hotel for the remaining 11 days - they refunded me with the remaining days but not for the 5 days that were ruined for my family.

Conclusion: Stay away from this place. I would never go back to it even if it was free! I have been traveling with my family for more than 14 years and we have never seen anything like this, not even remotely close to it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Athos P
Reviewed 18 July 2013

First off, the studio is rather large and pretty centrally located. It comes with a small kitchenette with a hob and microwave. There's a bathtub. There's also a small TV, couches and a double bed (which was really two single beds pushed together). The person in charge is quite rude. Check in is only allowed at certain hours 9am-12pm and 4-8pm I think. We arrived 5 minutes before 4pm and she refused to let us into the office a minute before, going so far as to tell us off for having the gall to arrive early. The apartment has veryyyy thin walls and ceilings and I can't emphasize enough how thin. We stayed here for 3 nights and every night we were awoken by the sounds of neighbours yelling, laughing and even moving furniture around upstairs. This would occur at the strangest hours as well - 4 or 5am, waking everyone up until a few people decide to ram on the ceilings to get them to stop. I don't know if the company owns the entire block, I was under the impression they did but nevertheless, it all made for nights of terribly unpleasant sleep. Hot water turns off after 11pm or after we've used a certain allocation, I'm not entirely sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jasryn
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Booked 2 apartments through booking.com, app force closed and it reopened where my booking had left off. Booked for what I thought was July, checked my emails and dates had reset to that night. Within 5 minutes of the booking I rang the hotel who told me to ring bookng. Would not modify my booking as my card details were ''incorrect''. 2 weeks later my account was charged with 392euro (the account card that was apparently incorrect). After the slow process of emailing back and forth, only recieving a response once a week, they agreed to change my booking to July at a price of 111euro per apartment per night. I asked to change the 2 apartments to 1 apartment to sleep 3 people as that price is astronomical considering there is no meal plan included and I would pay the balance owed immediately. Eventually got a response another week later and was told they CANNOT (for whatever unknown reason) change the booking to one apartment. Absolutely disgusted with this place and level of customer service. I have booked two rooms in antwerp with another hotel for 4 nights in July with breakfast and dinner included for less than the price of one of their apartments for 3 nights in july. Staff were very brief and dismissing towards me and had made no attempt at even trying to resolve the issue. Filed for a chargeback !

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Georgina C
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We read a series of decent reviews on this place and were in a bit of a bind so booked a one night stay at City Apartments. The area wasn't exactly upmarket but we felt safe enough. However, we arrived 30 minutes before the 4pm check in time to find that the office was only open between the hours of 4 and 8. There was no lobby to sit and wait in so we had to walk around with our bags until 4pm. When we did check in, the woman at the desk was very nice but was only on the property for a few hours. She gave us a mobile number to call if we had any problems.

We then found out that there had been a series of power cuts throughout the day which also continued into the night and next morning. It made taking the lift a big of a gamble, but we had big bags and were at the top of the fifth floor so we chanced it. It also made getting ready and getting out a bit difficult.

The room itself was big but smelled very musty. We left the window open but that didn't seem to do much. The shower tap in the bathroom was broken and we had a bit of a trickle of water. For me though, the worst part was the security. Our door had both a deadbolt and main lock but the main lock didn't work. Thus, it looked like the door was slightly open when we left. The safe in our room did not work either. Due to the paper thin walls, we heard the man next door coughing and pacing all night. At one point, he left his room and paced the corridor, hit the buttons for the lift and went back. I didn't feel safe at all.

Overall, it is a budget place and it's clean. But the security and thinness of the walls means I'd never stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank javila942
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I had some concerns about staying at Budget Accommodation but upon arrival in a very Snowy Antwerp I was met by a member of Staff who advised me that the room was suffering from a faulty heater but she instantly provided another!

The Room itself was a good size, clean and perfectly functional - the furniture & TV were a bit dated but in my opinion, that doesn't really matter. The Bathroom had a Bath with a Shower. there was lots of Kitchen Equipment bu I did 'trip' the electrics when using the pop-up toaster (but I think that's because both heavy-duty heaters were on the the same time! It was easier fixed as the junction box is behind a panel in one of the rather large wardrobes.)

It's only a Five Minute walk to Rooseveltplatz and is on the edge of Antwerps' Chinatown. I would serious consider staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Citysam
Be-Housing G, Manager at City Apartments Antwerpen, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Mr/Mrs,

Thank you for your positive review of your stay at City Apartments Antwerp! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Kind regards,

Bart
Be-Housing Group

Reviewed 1 August 2012

We booked a stay for one week in the City Apartments in Antwerp as we were travelling over to the Tomorrowland festival in Boom, an hour from the city. Myself and my girlfriend were only really looking for somewhere to crash at the end of the day, so didn't pay much heed to some of the reviews complaining about cleanliness and particularly about the attitude of the the staff at reception. Since staying there however, we have been adamant about writing an accurate review of the place.

The location is ideal, five minutes from main shopping, bus terminals and train station. The studio apartment is lovely and spacious, comfy bed, nice sitting area. Shower and bathroom is fine. And the staff were all nothing but polite and helpful, most particularly the lady running the reception, who made every effort possible to make small talk with us, informed us of anything we needed and was immediately at hand if we needed anything. We really were very pleasantly surprised at the level of service we had in the City Apartments given the impression the reviews had given us, and we would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The City Apartments are across the road from the Budget Flats and both are BE Housing, running from...