“The chilli con carne will get you hooked”
Review of Tropicos

Tropicos
Ranked #643 of 1,427 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: Mexican, Brazilian, Latin
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
South Africa
“The chilli con carne will get you hooked”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The vibe of this place mirrors the name quite well. Music in the backgroung is normally chilled bossa nova and the décor is basically everything you would expect across Brazil and Mexico.
While the entire menu is pretty good I can’t resist always asking for the same things – nachos to start and chilli con carne or feijoada completa as a main.
The chilli con carne is surprising, it’s not the traditional mincemeat and rice, no, here you get these super nice succulent chunks of tender meat served in a pot with a mild chilli sauce and you eat it with the soft tortillas. My mouth is actually watering as I type!
The price is a little over the top I would say, you can expect to pay something between 40 and 50eur a person, so it’s a “once in a while” place or maybe a cool location for a tropical birthday!

• Visited March 2014

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Terrible service, arrogant waitresses.”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We were in Antwerp as part of our European vacation and were advised to visit the Tropicos. Food was good but the service was extremely poor and we were spoken to rudely by the arrogant waitress who couldn't care less if the place would shut down. It probably will if this is the level of unfriendly staff that they employ. Would not advise anyone who expects even half decent serve to

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank sanjaym461
Weimar, Germany
“expensive, bad service, food is cheating”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I will never go back. We were out to celebrate our anniversary, so we ordered fancy cocktails and appetizers. Our cocktails melted (margarita, daquari) while we waitied for our appetizers that never arrived.

With regards to the main course: I'm vegetarian and allergic to milk, and mexican restaurants are normally easy places for me to eat. Bean burrito hold the cheese and cream add guacamole. In this place, not only was my bean burrito (beans, corn, salsa, tortilla) more than 18€ (!!!!) but they couldn't add guacamole because they make it with cream!!! I have never heard of making guacamole with cream - seems like a way to boost volume and reduce taste and authenticity.

When my plain, expensive, burrito was served it was SO spicy I couldn't eat it (it wasn't even marked as "spicy" on the menu). I normally love spicy food (my favorite is mexican and indian!) but this turned me red and gave me heartburn with one bite. I politely told the waitress that I couldn't eat it and asked what she suggested. She had the audacity to argue with me and tell me that I was wrong. She finally took my food back to the chef in a huff and came back (more than 20 minutes later!!) with a new burrito (this time just dry beans and corn with no salsa). At this point I was too tired and hungry to argue and my companion was already finished eating, so I just ate it.

When we went to pay, they were having trouble with their credit card reader and expected us to walk through the city to find an ATM machine and bring them cash. It was not the best weather, AND we had a movie to get to!!! They said they have been having trouble with the reader for days, but they didn't warn us of this when we arrived (no note on the door or something).

Also, in the middle of the restaurant floor is a LARGE hole/stairs which is a straight drop to the basement. They have it "marked" with a flashing red light which is 1) annoying for people eating near by and 2) not at all effective for little kids who might fall and break their necks. Even I didn't immediately see what was going on, and almost fell to the basement.

Some more picky notes: We sat in the upstairs and the smoke from the grill downstairs poured through the open windows and gave me a headache. Additionally we sat next to some fake plants that were covered in dust and hair. I actually moved our table out a little so our food wouldn't be directly under the hairy fake plants. The lighting fixtures are dirty glass bottles - nice museum pieces, but just looked filthy and unappetizing to me. The bathroom was also dirty and uncared for.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Lynny81
“Our place to eat in Antwerp”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is one of the places in Antwerp we tend to visit when we are in Antwerp. It is a lovely restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere and good food and drinks. Does this all taste the same as in Brazil or Mexico? The answer is no, but this does not really matter. You get good "Europeanized Latin America" food and drinks in the right context.

• Visited June 2013
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Excellent Mexican food in Antwerp”
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

My nephew in Antwerp brought us (my wife and daughter) to this amazing restsurant as a must eat in the city.
We are Vegetetians but had some great food and drinks at this place. Every dish we ordered whether it was Nschis, Mex Pizza, Rice, or beet cocktail with Tequila .... Every fish was just too good. The ambience and service was also too good. Definitely a must vidit restaurant in Antwerp for all foodies.

• Visited June 2013