“Not like so many of the reviews claimed....”
Review of 't Brantijzer

't Brantijzer
Ranked #470 of 1,608 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 December 2012

We went to Antwerp for a getaway weekend to celebrate the Christmas holidays. We were totally underwhelmed with the Christmas markets (we are, after all, from Prague!), but this restaurant made the trip worthwhile. Great food, great service and lovely atmosphere. We had no problems finding it - it is on a road just off the main market square. We were also impressed with the waitstaff who were going up and down this narrow flight of stairs with full trays of food and not even breaking a sweat. A thoroughly enjoyable evening. Would recommend this to all our friends.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Very nice terrace with views of the Carolus Borromeus church and the library ... very well positioned towards the sun. You are not allowed to have only drinks here but requested to eat. We wanted lunch and the Uitsmijter and the garnalankroketten (shrimp croquettes) were very good. With a draft Belgian beer and a coffee a wonderful way to have an easy going lunch. Inside quite a few tables on three floors, but not used for lunch with nice weather.

1  Thank Hermes_NL
Reviewed 28 September 2012

i came here on a recent cruise holiday through http://www.cruise.co.uk/ and it was a really nice experience, the food was a bit "rustic" but all in all we had a good light meal.
i spent a decent amount of money here about 30 euros each which was quite a lot of money.
they only really sold salads and soups so didnt get extremly full but the scenery was nice.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Difficult to find. Tucked away in beautiful square. Came at end of lunchtime. Rustic decor. Comfortable atmosphere. Friendly staff. We had cheese croquette which we mentioned we would share as appetizer. They were nice enough to divide them up without us asking. Each croquette p on plate accompanied with salad.

I ordered seafood platter and my companion ordered beef with peppercorn sauce. Both were delicious and cooked as ordered. He ordered westmalle triple, a delicious trappist brew and I had the Leffe Blonde which accompanied the meal nicely.

Would definitely return. All in all good value for the quality of food we had.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

I have been to this restaurant about three times for dinner, so I feel qualified to comment. The atmosphere of the place is super, with tall ceilings, genuinely old world feel, and a pretty unique mezannine floor/balcony inside. There is also a second story floor where you can eat when there are a lot of people and that room has a great view of the Rubens church on the square. As to the food:
The menu is extensive with varied options. I especially have enjoyed the moules when in season. An excellent choice are the salads too...I had one with shrimp that was excellent in taste and very filling--which was surprising. The dish was made with fresh salad topped with medley of vegetables that were wok'ed. The shrimp/gambas were fresh as well. I suspect the cook is a real chef, but in typical european fashion is not featured the way is fashionable nowadays in the US.
I did read some of the previously made comments by other patrons. I would agree that in general, Belgian customer service is can be lukewarm. Doesn't bother me as long as it is professional and efficient, and it seems that this is what you get in pretty all places I went to in Belgium. Waitstaff is prompt and usually anticipates your needs. Just don't expect them to be your buddy. Since they are less dependent on tips than in the US, you won't get them to try and charm you to no end--which I actually prefer.
Summing it all up: I find this to be a pretty magical location with excellent food for reasonable money. BTW, it seemed to me that most other patrons were local Antwerpians, which underscores the value imho.

2  Thank gpallem