“Top from start to finish”
Review of 't Fornuis

't Fornuis
Ranked #37 of 1,424 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: French, Belgian, European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Antwerp
“Top from start to finish”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

At last we went to this wonderful restaurant in my home town Antwerp. All over the restaurant are miniature stoves (fornuis). The dining area itself is on the first floor. Chef Johan Segers comes to the table himself to explain what he can offer you on the day. And that is what makes this restaurant so unique. Many of the Michelin starred chefs have about twelve restaurants over the globe, appear on television and leave the cooking to their sous-chefs and that's a bit of a shame. For the rest what can you say about this restaurant? The chef is great, the food is great, the staff is great, but hey, don't take my word for it. Go check it out and find out for yourselves, you won't regret it.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Francis D

Ghent, Belgium
“Delicious food but very expensive”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We had dinner at 't Fornuis for my birthday in August 2012. This is the kind of restaurant you only go to for special occasions (unless you're amongst the richer few.)

The atmosphere felt very "serious". You could have heard a pin drop in that place. I would have loved having it just a little more loose. We almost felt as if we had to whisper to each other instead of talking normally.

As a starter, they sort of leave you no choice but to drink Champagne. No problem for me, but then I at least expect my Champagne to be served in a tulip-shaped glass, not the kind of cocktail glass where the bubbles leave the Champagne too soon.
The Champagne itself certainly was not of high class (and the bottle had been open for too long so there were not many bubbles left.)

They don't have a menu so when the chef himself (Johan Segers) came to our table to explain the menu, we were nicely surprised. What we didn't realize is that an unexpectedly high bill would follow a couple of hours later.
If I would have know the prices, I would certainly have chosen their weekly dinner (if it exists.)

I had king crab as a starter and another fish dish as a main course. Both were very good, but not extremely delicious and furthermore a bit overpriced.

Unless this restaurant would be chosen as a treat for me, I don't think I'd ever go back there.

• Visited August 2012
“one of the best kitchens in belgium”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

i have know this place for many year and yet alway going out with the surpise how good was it and how the owner chef manage to keep the standard and renovate every visit.very very recommanded .wine menu rich and international.prices good for this kind of gourmet restaurant

• Visited April 2013
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Top class food...”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

't Fornuis is tv-chef Johan Seegers' restaurant. Located on the first floor just off the main shopping street De Meir.

The interior looks a little bit old fashioned. However service and food are excellent. The chef himself comes to your table to make some suggestions for lunch (or dinner).

Portions are generous. Starters are the same size (and price) as main courses. Food is based on the traditional French cuisine with a lot of local produced ingredients.

The best and nothing but the best around here!

Visited March 2013
“Expensive but excellent”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

The dishes changes every day apparently. No menu here. The Chef comes to every table to explain the starters and main courses of the day. He speaks several languages fluently. You can tell he enjoys what he is doing. The service is good and the wine recommendation very appropriate despite our various dishes. The Lamb is the greatest I have ever had. Portions are small but extremely tasty. Don't miss the cheese. Even coming from France, I have to say they were good. Probably the dessert was not at the same quality of the rest: I took a baba au rhum which was good but not exceptional.

• Visited March 2013