“Good food, nice place..best in Antwerp!!!”
Review of 't Fornuis

't Fornuis
Ranked #36 of 1,427 Restaurants in Antwerp
Cuisines: French, Belgian, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Good food, nice place..best in Antwerp!!!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I've been in this restaurant twice. The first time was with a friend of mine who is living in Antwerp. It's a very hidden place, so it's quite difficult to discover if you don't know the city.
The food is delicious, one of the best I ever tried in Belgium: nice courses, good wines, nice atmosphere. I took almost everything: wine, soupe, main course and dessert for about 35 euros...I don't think it can be defined expensive.
The place is an ancient house in the historic center of the city. The staff is very kind. I would recommend it to everyone in Antwerp!

2 Thank Tripvalmar

“Best chef ever!”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I love this place, so much that I keep coming back for more. Johan Segers, the chef, is one of the kindest people you can meet, and he comes to the table to explain the dishes on the menu that day. The cuisine is traditional french, with a focus on the best ingredients and having them shine. I can recommend, if it's on the menu, the crab salad and the sweetbreads, but also the tartare de boeuf and the kobe! I once had a pear clafoutis that was exquisite too!

Highly recommended, it is by far my favorite restaurant ever!

Visited December 2012
Overijse, Belgium
“One word: amazing!!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

At last we went to this wonderful restaurant in my home town Antwerp. All over the restaurant are miniature stoves (fornuis). The dining area itself is on the first floor. Chef Johan Segers comes to the table himself to explain what he can offer you that day. And that is what makes this restaurant so unique. Everything is amazing, the food, the service, the decor and, unfortunately, the bill too. But what to expect? Quality has it's price.

• Visited October 2013
Antwerp
“Top from start to finish”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

At last we went to this wonderful restaurant in my home town Antwerp. All over the restaurant are miniature stoves (fornuis). The dining area itself is on the first floor. Chef Johan Segers comes to the table himself to explain what he can offer you on the day. And that is what makes this restaurant so unique. Many of the Michelin starred chefs have about twelve restaurants over the globe, appear on television and leave the cooking to their sous-chefs and that's a bit of a shame. For the rest what can you say about this restaurant? The chef is great, the food is great, the staff is great, but hey, don't take my word for it. Go check it out and find out for yourselves, you won't regret it.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Francis D
Ghent, Belgium
“Delicious food but very expensive”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We had dinner at 't Fornuis for my birthday in August 2012. This is the kind of restaurant you only go to for special occasions (unless you're amongst the richer few.)

The atmosphere felt very "serious". You could have heard a pin drop in that place. I would have loved having it just a little more loose. We almost felt as if we had to whisper to each other instead of talking normally.

As a starter, they sort of leave you no choice but to drink Champagne. No problem for me, but then I at least expect my Champagne to be served in a tulip-shaped glass, not the kind of cocktail glass where the bubbles leave the Champagne too soon.
The Champagne itself certainly was not of high class (and the bottle had been open for too long so there were not many bubbles left.)

They don't have a menu so when the chef himself (Johan Segers) came to our table to explain the menu, we were nicely surprised. What we didn't realize is that an unexpectedly high bill would follow a couple of hours later.
If I would have know the prices, I would certainly have chosen their weekly dinner (if it exists.)

I had king crab as a starter and another fish dish as a main course. Both were very good, but not extremely delicious and furthermore a bit overpriced.

Unless this restaurant would be chosen as a treat for me, I don't think I'd ever go back there.

• Visited August 2012