“Great Hotel for Business Stay”
Review of Martin's Patershof

Martin's Patershof
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Mechelen
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights recently while visiting Mechelen on business. I hadn't booked the hotel myself so wasn't sure what to expect but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I didn't spend a lot of time either in the hotel or exploring the area but I found the hotel to be really good as a building, all the public areas were modern and clean and the architecture is something in itself.

In terms of my room - a good, business hotel room with plenty of space, good facilities, good bathroom and very modern, clean and, again, had some of the original building exposed which makes it a lot more interesting.

Sleep quality was good and the breakfast buffet was also good the following morning as were all the staff that I met - friendly and helpful.

Based on what I saw on my brief stay, I'd be more than happy to stay here again and would recommend it to someone staying in the area.

My only comment to the hotel would be that they could maybe add a way to make a cup of tea in the rooms alongside coffee but that's a very English request :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Stijn B, General Manager at Martin's Patershof, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Mike T,

Thank you very much for your lovely words and thank you for your constructive remark about the coffee (& tea) facilitys in the room. I will keep this in mind for the future.

I hope, we may welcome you again with us soon!

Martin's Patershof Mechelen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel is nice enough but is let down a little when you realise that a lot of the rooms have coloured plastic on the windows to make them mock stained glass. Rooms are also quite sparse and dull. Food was ok but nothing to rave about. Bar was nice and we'll stocked.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear karl_pearson,

Thank you very much for your message through TripAdvisor.

Since we are located in an former church/convent it was a real challenge in dividing the rooms. Our hotel is built in a unique setting which also makes us special. As we could not change the structure of the church/convent we had to divide the rooms according to available space.

Every room has its own feature and character. We always try to allocate the rooms the best way possible but it’s not easy to know the wishes of the client. It’s very objective and depends from person to person. We try to do our best to meet the expectations of our customers.

All stained glass windows are the authentique windows from the former church. We had to keep them like it was!

Hope to may welcome you again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our anniversary and I am always looking for a special place to celebrate this. This hotel was recommended by a colleague and we were not disappointed! we had an exceptional room and this was an absolute breath taker! The bed was extremely comfortable and you really feel like you sleep in luxury, in an old church!

Only downside maybe is the city Mechelen. Not the most exciting city for a short city trip but the hotel makes it worth the visit!

Room Tip: Higher rate rooms can be worth the money and offer a even more special experience
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Stijn B, General Manager at Martin's Patershof, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear RobbertJacobs,

Thank you very much for your message through TripAdvisor.
Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Stange that you didn't liked the city of Mechelen.
I think, Mechelen is the most exciting city for a short trip for the next years...
It's a hidden gem between Antwerp & Brussels.
Haven't you visited Kazerne Dossin or the toys museum?
If you prefer shopping, in a big part of the city center are cars not allowed.

Check the website! During next summer, there are a lot of things to do.

Hope to may welcome you again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

As no company prefered Hotel was available in Mechelen we stayed at Martin's Patershof.
It is not like the normal business hotels it is a very special place. I had a big room on the 1st floor. A little bit dark but in general ok. The power plug below the desk was also a sign for me that business people are not the main clients for this hotel.. The bed was excellent. The view not so as I was looking to the backyard.
The breakfast buffet had a good quality and the breakfast room was really special as well.
Another good point is, that it is in walking distance to the city center.
Overall it was a nice experience.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We decided to stay in the Martin’s Patershof as part of the annual family weekend.
And it definitely added value to our trip to Mechelen.
We dropped of our luggage at the hotel in the morning as there are free car parks just outside the city center during the weekend. Luggage is stored in a closed room but not tagged, which I find a slight security risk as we were not the only ones wanted to leave their stuff in the hotel.
Staff is very friendly. We came back at 5pm to check-in. Not all three rooms were ready yet but that was sorted out in less than 5 minutes.
The lobby, bar and the breakfast area are showing beautifully the church conversion.
If you’re staying in a Cosy room, it’s only part of the hotel where you experience being in a converted church. I know it’s advertised & described in the different types of guestrooms but a small & subtle hint to the fact you are in a former religious building, would have been nice though.
No complaints about the room itself. It’s stylish decorated, with all the comfort you desire.
And it did provide a good night sleep as despite the fact the hotel is in the middle of the center, it’s very quiet at night even with the window open.
One tip to the owner: all lighting is meant to be ‘cosy’ but the room could definitely use a reading light next to the bed.
Choice at breakfast is abundant and served in the most spectacular part of the hotel.
In summary, not the cheapest way to stay in Mechelen but definitely original & therefore it’s worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I loved my stay at Martin's Patershof this week. Not only is the hotel charming (it's a former church) but so is the staff. The rooms have the stained glass windows of the church and some arched ceilings. The stained glass windows are a mixed blessing — charming but they also contribute to the room being a bit dark. The staff are universally warm, welcoming and helpful.

When I arrived on Sunday, I told the receptionist that I had to work to prepare a speech on Monday but felt jet lagged and needed something to perk me up and help me stay alert and sharp. She prepared a delicious latte and a plate full of both protein and sugar (macaroons, nuts, etc.). Wonderful.

And the bartender is exquisite! When she found out on Sunday that I have a gluten-intorlerance, she made me one of the most incredible salads I have ever had. She was solicitous both nights and a delightful conversationalist.

She is also remarkably sensitive to her customers. There was a young fellow all by himself near the television who was a bit awkward and was approaching other patrons who were busy in conversation to talk to. She asked him not to bother them, but felt sorry for him. The bartender and I by that point had established enough of a relationship that she felt comfortable asking me if I'd talk to the young man, which I was happy to do. He was a sweet computer programmer who was coming to his first big conference and very nervous about being away from home and being by himself in a city hotel. We chatted for a while and I think he felt much better. None of that would have happened without the bartender taking notice and taking action.

Anyway, suffice to say I am impressed with both the hotel and the staff. Thank you for a lovely visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Stijn B, General Manager at Martin's Patershof, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear johnwilpers,

Thank you very much for your review and lovely words about staff and services.
I will transfer the message to my team.

We hope to may welcome you again soon with us.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The first thing that you notice about this hotel is the building itself: before begin an hotel it was a church and the conversion has been done very well.
The staff is friendly and helpful, when we had a small issue with our key (it stopped working after the first day) it was resolved within seconds.
The room was very good, exactly what you expect to find in a 4 stars hotel with the welcome addition of a larger than the norm size.
I definitively recommend this hotel if you plan to visit this area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Stijn B, General Manager at Martin's Patershof, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear SitoCH,

Thank you very much for your message through TripAdvisor and recommending our hotel to our future guests.
Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us & we hope to may welcome you again in the future.