“Lage gut, Preis ok, central location, price is ok; ”

Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Mechelen
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Low budget hotel, that has seen better days. Somehow it does not match other HI Express standards but stays below them; rooms are tiny, a bit worn and overheated. Very small breakfast buffet, not much to choose from. Friendly staff though, efficient check in and out. Parking garage under the hotel. Centrally located. I would go there again, since for one or two nights you can live with it. Can't recommend it for longer stays.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ExpressMechelen, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear Axel B,

Thank you very much for your review from our hotel. I am pleased to be able to tell you that up to now 50 % of our rooms are renovated. The other 50 % and the entire ground floor will also be done soon. So when you come back next time be sure to ask for a renovated room and try them out.
Looking forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed here last weekend to celebrate my friend’s birthday.
The hotel is very well located, in the city center.
We had a newly renovated room which looked great! Very fresh and modern look.
As always, staff was very friendly and helpful.
It also has free wifi which works well and is easy to connect to.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone who wishes to stay in Mechelen and I will certainly return!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
ExpressMechelen, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Corujabis,
Thank you very much for you 5* review. It is great to read you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked the newly renovated rooms. I am pleased to let you know that all rooms and also the ground floor will be renovated soon. If you wish to stay updated you can always like our Facebook page.
Thank you again for your review and hope to welcome you again next time you travel to Mechelen.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Been here just a few hours and ready to leave. No ventilation in the room; room is dirty - empty coke bottle on the floor. Internet very slow. The place just looks unkept and if I were Holiday Inn I would be a somewhat embarrassed that this is what is being offered. I would stay away from this place...I'm a longtime Gold/Platinum IHG Club person and this is the worst Holiday Inn I've stayed at.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel; apparently rooms on the first floor have been remodeled, but when I complain...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
ExpressMechelen, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Cincykid77,
Thank you for having taken the time to review your stay with us. We are thankful for your comments and observations as they enable us to improve ourselves in the future. I also want to thank you for your loyalty as an IHG Rewards Club member. I would like to apologize for these inconveniences. I will surely share these comments with our Housekeeper and find out what went wrong with your room. Again my apologies.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed here for a night near the end of December.
Status was immediately acknowledged at the check-in and staff was very friendly. I stayed in room 301 and was pleasantly surprised by the size of it and the fact that it has a couch. I payed more at the Holiday Inn in Brussels but got less.
This is obviously a business focused hotel but with it's central location I wouldn't look past it when visiting Mechelen.

Room Tip: Apparently the first floor is being redone so in the future pick those rooms for a more modern touch...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
ExpressMechelen, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Beuk T,
Thank you very much for staying with us and for your positive feedback. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you were satisfied with the service. We hope to welcome you back very soon. Kind regards, Joris Keimes, General Manager

Reviewed 26 December 2013

the hotel is line with the other holiday inn express in Belgium but they are not my favorite . they are very simple. I had to make my own bed. The room is big and has a sofa bed so there is extra bed and the air drair was in the room instead inside the bathroom and having moquette floor I dont have the feeling of being very clean. The bathroom is very small and essential with soap dispenser. The breakfast is ok. The hotel has nice position in the city centre and has the parking lot or you can choose the next parking 100 m away.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear cmarmot,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are thankful for your comments and observations as they enable us to improve ourselves in the future. We hope to welcome you again the next time you travel to Mechelen.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights and had a pleasant experience - the receptionist spoke my native language (Hungarian) which was a big surprise and also the room was in good condition. The hotel is located in the city centre with excellent bus connections.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter B
ExpressMechelen, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your lovely review. Your compliments and maximum score are greatly appreciated by the whole team. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Kind regards, Joris Keimes, General Manager

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Checked in on December 14th at 11 pm. There was a young man behind the desk who was very intoxicated. Every question was answered with "I don't know" and then he always started laughing, with the excuse "I went to the Christmas market and drank too much".
Some issues were not taken care of because "he did not know anymore how to do it" and "he was drunk" and also "he wasn't working there long enough to know".
Then the best reaction: "let me call my boss to ask".. he called, no answer. Reaction: "he isn't picking up his phone, he is at the christmas market too, and probably too drunk as well".
How can HI allow such a person to greet and check in guests??
The room itself was what you would expect from a HIE, very basic. The bed was very hard, too hard in my opinion, but that is personal taste.
Location is good: in the center, close to everything.
Breakfast is basic, but ok.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Quipque,
Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us about your findings from our hotel.
I would sincerely like to apologize for the inconveniences suffered during your stay. As you know I have investigated this case thoroughly and taken the necessary actions as also contacted you personally. I am glad that we have come to a proper solution that you appreciated and that this inconvenience will not withhold you from coming back to us. Aslo I would like to stress out one last time that I was not at this Christmas Market.
Looking forward to welcoming you again in Mechelen. Kind regards,