“discovered a new 'love' great city Mechelen with great hotel Vixx”
Review of VixX Hotel

VixX Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Mechelen
Reviewed 10 January 2014

After traveling many years passing by on Mechelen this time I booked a hotel to explore Mechelen. I've found the Vixx hotel and I'm very positively surprised about the quality of the room and the large size (suite). Also the kindness and service of the staff is excellent.
Only one temporary drawback outside the control of Vixx: the access to the parking garage is veryu hard to find while reconstruction of roads is taking place.
I'll for sure rturn and continue to enjoy Mechelen on a sunny day iso of my first rainy experience

Room Tip: Suite, room 6 on 3rd floor is excellent
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 November 2013

A beautifull room, all luxuries available and a very good price. We loved the Philips ambient lights in all the rooms. The bed is nice and spacious. Also very well located in the heart of Mechelen.
the view from our rooms wasn't that awsome but I believe that after the works in the street are done it will be a lot better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martine N
Reviewed 22 November 2013

All details are perfect in this place.
Everything is very nice.
There are some building works just in the hotel's street, but no noise during the night.
Beautiful room and bathroom, nice sauna, good breakfast, everything perfect...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Beautiful rooms, fantastic design, helpful and kind staff : all was perfect for us with our 2 kids (3 and 7 years old). A great place to stay if you want to travel around Belgium : we spent 1 day in Brussels, very close (30 mn drive) and Mechelen is a beautiful little city.
We'll come back !! Thanks

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne D
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Even before I had arrived in Mechelen, the tremendously helpful Phyllis on reception had engaged with me directly via email without prompt to ask what sort of time I expected to arrive and ask whether I needed any additional information etc... The benefit of booking a hotel with only 8 rooms (suites) - the personal touch.

Upon arrival I was checked in within 2 minutes and then Phyllis very helpfully showed me round the room, how to operate the coloured mood lighting, nespresso coffee machine and gave me my free wifi pass (she stopped short of showing me how to use the Bose sound dock for my iPhone and any other gadgets I haven't mentioned!).

At the time she left me to unpack I wasn't 100% sure where the bed was, as the double doors at the far end of the room appeared to be a wardrobe - i was looking around for a funky fold-out bed - wrong! I walked through the 'wardrobe' doors and found myself in the spacious bedroom (complete with bath robe and slippers to be worn down to the sauna on floor -1 - activated to order) then looked round to my left to see the bathroom which was the same size again (with walk-in shower, large bath and basin with waterfall effect tap). Phyllis mentioned that my room (#1) is one of the largest, but I can imagine that the others aren't tight for space).

All in all, first impressions were very impressive!

The bed was fantastically comfy, with the heaviest pillows and a generous duvet - ideal as I hate sheets + blanket or a mean duvet where your legs stick out of the end if you attempt to get warm! The monsoon style shower was great, although the rubber nozzles needed a run to get rid of a bit of limescale, but then I got the full effect - invigorating.

Breakfast takes place in a small seating area adjacent to reception and is a very personalised experience (again due to the size of the hotel) although can feel rather awkward if you are on your own. You almost feel obliged to engage your fellow guests in conversation because it is such an intimate affair. Your coffee is made to order for you (choice of styles and strengths available) in the 'big brother to the one in your room' Nespresso machine in the corner, and then your order for eggs is taken. The waitress then becomes chef and disappears through a set of double doors (much like the ones which lead to the bedroom) to cook your eggs for you.

Unfortunately, poached eggs don't seem to be big in Belgium, but a couple of sunny side up fried eggs went down just as well! Also available are yoghurt, actimel, cheese and ham, pastries, bread, cereals, fruit juices, tea,

The one current downside to the Vixx Hotel is the fact that the area outside the front door is currently being redeveloped to put in a waterway feature along much of the street. As a result, there are some groundworks to pick your way through to get there when approaching from Grote Markt, but this is a triviality when you actually get through the front door. Besides which, when the works are complete the street outside will look superb and only serve to add to the appeal of this hotel. Additionally it's only a stones throw from the main square (Grote Markt) and a 5-7 min walk from the very popular (and busy) Vismarkt so very centrally located.

If you can afford the extra/feel like treating yourself and your better half for a weekend, the Vixx hotel comes highly recommended!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I booked this hotel based upon reviews on this site as we normally stay at Martins hotels when in Belgium so I as prepared for building works upon arrival but you never really know until you arrive and see for yourself..... However, whilst there are building works being carried out they appear to be coming towards an end, so future travellers may not experience the building site feel as approaching the hotel. Irrespective of the building works I have to stay the hotel & the staff were 1st class. We travelled as a family with a 11 month old baby and the hotel couldn't do enough for us. We had a large family suite which is like a self contained flat & this had everything we needed. The main room, along with the bedroom & bathroom was superb, clean, modern & spaceous and quiet, with no noise from the surrounding area. Breakfast was brought to our room every morning, at the exact time we requested. Staff were always on hand to give advise and recommendations. Very pleased we chose this hotel & will definitely be back when passing next time. Well done, keep up the go work.

Room Tip: we had ground floor room, but this wasn't an issue and very handy for the pushchair. no noise ei...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We were a bit unsure when we drew up at the Vixx as its a bit of a building site however this turned out to be a perfect location and we were not troubled by any building noise. The balcony on the apartment hadn't been finished but everything else seemed to be done in the hotel. Mechelen is a lovely town and the shops and restaurants are just along the road and the beautiful town square round the corner. The hotel were very helpful with maps to get to the hotel and other places, train information to get into Brussels and allowed us a slightly later check out.

The apartment worked extremely well as we had our son with us and he had the sofa bed in the lounge. The apartment was big so having the sofa folded down was not a problem. He loved the mood lights and had the room in every colour possible.

Even though this is a very new place the white decor and flooring was already looking rather grubby. On arrival the apartment was not as clean as I had hoped. The fridge hadn't been cleaned at all. However after the first day the standards were much improved. Every day there seemed to be totally different people working so presume the cleaner changed as well.

There is a design fault with the shower which caused a bit of flooding but the hotel are aware of this and are planning an alteration. It was easily wiped up with the towels but still a nuisance.

On the first morning at breakfast there was mouldy fruit in the basket full of fruit flies but again this was only a problem on the first day. Looks like there is a weakness in staff on one day. The rest of the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: August 2013