“Good for a short stay.”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Mechelen
Patras, Greece
“Good for a short stay.”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This small 4-star hotel is located in the centre of Mechelen, about 1,2 km from railway station, facing on a small square. I stayed there for one night, for business purpose. Check-in was fast. My room was a deluxe one, big in size, with modern decoration, equiped with all the usual amenities you expect from a hotel of its category, but relatively dark during the day. Breakfast was basic; it could be better... Check-out was fast. Finally, the personel was attentive and polite. All in all, a very good hotel for a short stay in Mechelen.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Epworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel over the weekend and I have to say it was a really nice hotel - with generally really good staff.
The hotel itself is really well designed and the rooms are lovely. I was in room129 which is actually on a very dark corridor at night - fine for me ...but I would not have been happy if my mother was walking along it ...

Only 2 comments to make that are negative - and neither would put me off from visiting again:

1) The hotel itself is in a pedestrian zone and so the SatNav doesn't really like getting you there. Don't put in the address of the hotel - use the address of the Q Parks carpark which is where you should park.
2) I came back to the hotel on Sunday night (after the door had been locked) but for some reason the night porter was nowhere to be found. I banged hard on the door but to no avail ... 25 minutes later he appeared saying "that he was in the kitchen ..." Not really good enough but then this was a wayward night porter and doesn't really detract from my stay at the hotel (well it did that night but the bed was so lovely that I was over it by the next morning).

The hotel is lovely - I will stay here again and the town itself is beautiful .... I consider this a real find.... and am very happy with my visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Godmanchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed 2 nights on business. Well located more or less in the centre of Old Mechelen. Nice modern design with a nod to the industrial history of the building. There's a bar in reception - but no restaurant. Very steep steps up to the bedroom levels - or take the lift. Bedroom electricity is turned on by inserting a corner of your access card into a plastic holder on the wall - took me some minutes to work out how - as it had not been explained at checkin. When you leave there is no grace period - remove the card and the lights go out. Which brings me to the next point - lights. There are probably half a dozen light sources in the room - but even with all switched on - it's still not light enough to see your way around. After a while your eyes adjust - but it's still not bright enough for normal business work - reading printed documents etc. Nicely decorated room (as far as I could see!), comfy bed, modern TV, reasonably good size desk (but no desk lamp). Bathroom was spacious - but the shower was above the bath with a glass shower screen that leaked badly. A bit more thought about the design and a separate shower cubicle could have been fitted in. Failing that - I would lose the bath in favour of a cubicle.
Breakfast was fine - the usual continental spread - I would have preferred a good quality coffee machine for patrons to use rather than being brought a coffee pot with less than piping hot coffee - but it's a small point. The only other thing to mention - I found the continual request for room number quite irritating. On the whole the staff were friendly.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business. Very conveniently located in the center of town. Close to all nice restaurants and naturally offers excellent comfort at a competitive price. The breakfast is also very good offering all the essential goodies!

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 25 November 2013

LOCATION : We used the town of Mechelen as an alternative for a Brussels airport hotel since it takes only 10 minutes by train to the airport. The hotel is located 1,3 km by foot from the railwaystation. We used Google maps to find the hotel but this is not optimal. Once you reach the river it’s a better option to take the new path along the Dijle river to reach the hotel, since it ends close to the hotel and is much nicer then the long endless street advised by Google. The cobbled streets can be a torture for the wheels of your suitcase. The Vismarkt where the hotel is situated is a wonderful lively square with lots of interesting places to eat or drink (breakfast possible from 9 or 10 AM in town or in the neighbourhood). We had some tapas at “ De Akker” and drank the local “Gouden Carolus” beer ( one of my favourites). Tip : closeby is the Van Beethovenstreet where the grandparents and forfathers of the composer used to live.

SERVICE : We made the definitive choice for this hotel because it has a wellness. We arrived at 1.30 PM and the room which was supposed to be ready at 12 AM was not. So we asked to make use of the wellness. The women at the desk told us in a cryptic manner that it was only available for “externs” till 3 PM. Since we did not consider ourselves as externs we refrased the question and asked “ So the guests can have acces after 3 PM ?”. The women looked a bit annoyed and answered “ No, externs is what we call the guests usualy”. Besides the fact that I never have stayed in Sofitel, Novotel or Mercure hotel where they asked to pay extra for wellness (which you are supposed to do here) it is clear that the wellness facilities are actually no part of the service offered. In that case we had better opted for the nearby Novotel. Besides that we got an unreadable town map (just a cheap copy) to orientate us in town. I expect a better service then this from a Mercure hotel. If you ask 20 euro for a breakfast but can not afford to offer a clear map for the guests, sorry…

ROOMS : Since it was only a stop over we opted for a standard room. The room is nice and clean but has no direct daylight and is dark. At some places it was impossible to see what was hanging in the closet (even with all the lights on). I can not image staying during a sunny summersday in a room like this at high season prices. The TV screen was high quality with lots of international programs. There is a empty MINI mini bar with enough space to place two Coca Cola cans. This can not be serious !. If you arrive during a long weekend with all the shops closed it will be hard to find any snacks or drinks in town, unless you go to the Novotel or survive on the free apples offered at hotel Vé . My next stay in Mechelen will be in the Novotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank misseghers
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Really central and in walking distance of all the important bits of town.
The room was spacious and had a good tv, wireless internet included and a nice coffee machine. The toiletries were quite nice as well

No iron in the room, one is provided soon as you ring but i think its nice to have in the room from the start.

Reception/bar with only one person could have been a bit better due to the obvious delays that causes

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Loved this hotel except they fumigated my room for bugs and the smell was noxious. I was there 3 nights and it did not go away! I wondered why they had such a bug problem? But, the hotel was nice otherwise. Very unique and quaint. My room was large and comfortable. Breakfast was great and service very good. I would stay there again (if they fix the smell)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank SuzBob2011
hannelore v, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Mechelen Ve, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear guest, first of all we would like to apologize for any inconvienience you might have experienced during your stay. It was the very first summer we had to deal with this sort of bug problem but I can understand your feedback and we sincerely appreciate your honesty. After your departure we took the necessary procautions to solve this problem and I can assure you that on your next stay this will never happen again.
Kind regards, the Vé Team