“Convenient for One Night” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Wavre Hotel

Ibis Wavre Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Wavre
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Convenient for One Night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here with my student travel group of 28 on the road between Amsterdam and Paris. The hotel is located behind a home improvement center and a few fast food restaurants. It's a residential area with loads of grassy spots and trees.

The lobby is large enough with a bar and lounge area where guests can watch television and eat breakfast in the morning. The bar was nice, but the service was sketchy. The staff didn't speak English very well, which wasn't surprising since this isn't a big tourist area. This was only an issue when I tried to communicate that I needed ice to bring down the swelling on my bad ankle. They claimed that they had no ice. No ice. So, not even for cocktails? Anyway, the manager ended up bringing out a bar rag wrapped around a small chunk of ice to use on my ankle propped up on a table in the lobby. Hmm. He was very nice about it, but it was kind of awkward, especially while other student tour groups were checking in throughout the night. Strange.

The breakfast was very good. They offered hot and cold food, and plenty of it. The breakfast room/lounge was large and inviting.

The rooms are smallish, but fine for Europe. The outlets are sparse though, so I had to charge my phone, camera and other items at different times. Fortunately, the outlet was near the bed, so I could use my phone as my alarm while it charged.

The hotel has no air-conditioning, so you have to open the window to get fresh air. Unfortunately, there are no screens, so moths and other little flying critters will visit you in the night. Also, they had some modern art on the wall that scared me to death in the middle of the night. The prints are of a shadow man in a bowler hat, so in the dark it looks as if an actual man in a bowler hat is in the room. It was like a villian out of Doctor Who. Creepy. I asked the others in my group, and they had the same art in their rooms.

Overall, I didn't have a negative experience at this hotel. It also wasn't positive. If you're on the road, it's not a bad place to stop for the night. Be aware though that loads of student group tours use this hotel, so teenagers will be scattered throughout the hotel, and depending on how well-managed they are, might be noisy. Ours were fine, but you never know.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zug, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel fits the needs for an overnight stay. The rooms are functional, breakfast average and staff helpful and friendly. Everything you need is available, good internet connection, clean rooms and secured park space.

Room Tip: All rooms are similar, there is no difference.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Belfast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

This has possibly got to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, avoid if possible. I also stayed in The Leonardo in Wavre, rooms are bigger, but thats about its best attribute. I would say avoid hotels in Wavre and stay in Brussels or Leuven. The standard of hotels in Wavre is appalling, if rooms that resemble a cabin on a 1990s cross channel ferry is your thing then you won't be dis-appointed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank John R
BestWesternWavre, General Manager at Ibis Wavre Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Hello,
Well sorry you don't like the hotels in Wavre, we are all constantly working on improvments at the Best Western HNA Wavre hotel, please come back in a couple of months and let us know if we managed to cross over to the 2000s, at the moment we are working on the bathrooms.
Best regards,
Florian Zemanek

Travellers are raving about these Wavre hotels

Alicante, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Hotel is hiding behind the highway and "Brico" not easy to find if is your first time to go there.
Beds were ok and clean meanwhile the bathroom very small and not look very clean.
TV had some chains not have any local neither channel with movie to relax after a work day or just relax.
The breakfast very poor and if you come near the closing not easy to get something to eat better go asap.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BestWesternWavre, General Manager at Ibis Wavre Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Hello Hiboux2203,
Thank you for your review, we are trying to react on your remark that the hotel is difficult to find by putting up some more directional banners on the street!
Best regards,
Florian
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I was in the area and looking for a cheap hotel for the night especially as I didn't arrive until after 10pm. This was (at the time) like an oasis in the desert. To be fair the man on reception was very welcoming and friendly even as I was so late. He admitted the Internet was extremely slow in the rooms.
Slow! That is an understatement if ever I heard one! As someone who relies on the Internet as part of my work it is very important for me to be able to receive emails wherever I stay. The connection when I did manage to get it dropped regularly which required repeated entry of the complicated username and password (even though I had said "sign in automatically"). When the connection did work it was so slow at one point I paid for roaming fees as it was quicker.

To be fair the room was comfortable and what I would expect for a budget hotel. I was too late for dinner so I decided to wait for the included breakfast in the morning.
Breakfast!! What can I say!! Burnt bacon, scrambled egg which was so hard it tasted like it was yesterday's reheated, cheese on the cheese board was like cardboard as it had obviously been left out too long. I went for breakfast at 8:30am so not exactly late! Coffee was good though!

To cap it all when I checked out the reception girl who was in the restaurant and came out after being called was very miserable. No "was everything okay?" Just grunted a few times when I asked for a receipt for my company. I appreciate it must be very frustrating having to try to converse in English when it isn't your native language but unfortunately I could not speak any of hers so there was little I could do about it.

All in all a very disappointing stay. Having read some of the other reviews here, and the replies, it does sound like others have had similar opinions albeit about different parts of their stay. It is good that the manager is acknowledging the replies and promising improvements. I think these need to happen quicker for the rating to go up.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Zedbiker
BestWesternWavre, General Manager at Ibis Wavre Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Hello,
Thank you for your review but I don't really think you stayed in our hotel.
First the part about internet: we have upgraded our system this summer and since then we have quite a high download rate and good antenna service, I just checked and we haven't had a single complaint since the upgrade, so either you stayed here way before the summer or it was another Best Western hotel in the area.
As for breakfast, we do not serve bacon and scrambled eggs yet, breakfast is admittetly simple but we downsized the offer exactly for the good reason to keep what we offer fresh and of nice quality, we will add more products step by step.
Yes we are continouosly working on many improvments, at the moment we are changing the mattresses and are working on the corridors, more lights are being installed and we will replace the carpet floor also on the stairs. Maintenance on the bathrooms has been increased to keep everything in good workign conditions.
So I hope you will stay with us just off the motorway exit n° 6 Wavre off motorway E411 soon and see what we have accomplished so far.
Very best regards,
Florian Zemanek
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night during the F1, and the hotel was lovely.
Friendly staff.
Rooms were clean.

My only negative would be the breakfast, there was a small choice of toast, croissants or fruit...

Also if you don't have your own transport - make sure you book a taxi before your stay... There's no taxis in the area.

Overall good stay :)

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

This is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in, full of creepy old men smoking cigars , halls are filled with old cupboards? One had to doge past them on the way to the room with suitcases, rooms are small , bathroom tiny(no room to swing a cat) anyway without any further rants the only thing left to say is that it is awful.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wavre
Leonardo Hotel Wavre
At Home Hotel
At Home Hotel
#4 of 6 in Wavre
Chateau de Limelette
Ibis Styles Meeting Center Louvain la Neuve
Ibis Styles Meeting Center Louva...
#1 of 1 in Louvain-la-Neuve
Hotel Piano2
Hotel Piano2
#1 of 1 in Corbais
Le Goupil
Le Goupil
#1 of 4 in Wavre

Been to Ibis Wavre Hotel? Share your experiences!