“typical place for great mussels”
Review of Chez Jacques

Chez Jacques
Reserve with
Chez Jacques is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #281 of 3,797 Restaurants in Brussels
Price range: US$24 - US$157
Cuisines: Belgian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We spent the evening with friends and a visitor from the US. I was recommended Jacques a while ago and had been there once.
After scallops as starters we all had the Mussels du Chef, with cream, mustard and white wine. Truly delicious although a little too much cream for my stomach...

Price is just a little high but nice place to spend an authentic Belgian evening, far from the touristic restaurants near Grand Place or even a few dozens of meters up on the same square where the lobster is a tourist trap...

1  Thank AlexKou

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I see the downer reviews and I didn't pick up the check, so I will assume Jacques is expensive. But Jacques' reputation for great seafood is strong among the locals in Brussels. I went this weekend and had a juvenile monkfish that was served like a steak: Au poivre. It was heavenly. My only complaint is that I over-ate. Truly worth writing a review about.

I also liked the Lobster Bisque Armagnac. It was a superb starter.

Everyone in our group had a great meal. My companions ordered mussels -- six -- three hot, three cold. The three hot were a success all around. One of my colleagues did not care for the three cold.

I will say I thought the crume brulee was just so-so and disappointing. But the service was very attentive and pleasant (and humored well my request for a photo).

So good luck, but we had the Jacques that is legendary in Brussels last night. I will definitely be back.

2  Thank FredTravelVa
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We went here for a lobster meal and were not disappointed. Wonderful oysters to start off with, then a fresh lobster simply grilled, heavenly! Would definitley come back here for a special occasion.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

This is what is locally called a brown wall....small bistro with wood panel walls. The service is first class,charming and prompt. The Cod is old world good. I had it steamed with a sauce and my colleague had it grilled...really good. Appetizers were prompt and really tasty. Not a 5 star restaurant but good flavor with good value.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

A friend who knows Brussels well took us to this delightfully unpretentious seafood restaurant for lunch on a cold rainy day in spring. We were at once taken with the charming atmosphere - from the simple but entirely appropriate furniture to the marvelous array of unusual works of art on the walls (see photo), not to mention the delicious aromas drifting in from the kitchen. Now, seafood is not normally my first choice when it comes to lunch or any other meal for that matter, and one of the reasons is often the smell of it cooking. Not so at Jacques - no unpleasant odors at all. The service was rather casual but quite adequate, and although we had not booked we were able to secure a window table with a view of the street. The food was simply delicious, the wine extraordinary (I have had to add Belgium to my list of countries producing good wine !), but the most amazing thing was the price - excellent value for money !