“Local Recommendation”
Review of Chez Jacques

Chez Jacques
Reserve with
Chez Jacques is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #181 of 3,582 Restaurants in Brussels
Price range: US$24 - US$157
Cuisines: Belgian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Prescott, Arizona
“Local Recommendation”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

A Brussels local made this excellent recommendation. As commented by others, if you want cheap food, don't come. The alternative is don't order al la carte but go with the prix fixe menu instead. The choices were filet mignon and salmon. I and a colleague tried both. This was a great choice for a dinner for three coerces of very high quality.

• Visited March 2014

Oakland, California
“Good sea food but not over the top, a bit pricey”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Went here on the advice of my daughter who said it was the best. We sat outside. The tables are fairly small though and I would have preferred a bit more space. None the less the fish I had was very well presented and tasted great. It was not mussel season so we did not have any. However the frites were good as well. It is a bit over priced and has a reputation to defend. Like others have said, it has seen better days. It was 150 Euros for four of us including drinks which is not over the top but a bit pricey for the quality you received. I would think twice about going back outside of mussel season when I am sure it was be a real treat.

• Visited July 2013
Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
“typical place for great mussels”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We spent the evening with friends and a visitor from the US. I was recommended Jacques a while ago and had been there once.
After scallops as starters we all had the Mussels du Chef, with cream, mustard and white wine. Truly delicious although a little too much cream for my stomach...

Price is just a little high but nice place to spend an authentic Belgian evening, far from the touristic restaurants near Grand Place or even a few dozens of meters up on the same square where the lobster is a tourist trap...

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank AlexKou
VA
“Maybe the best fish I've ever eaten”
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I see the downer reviews and I didn't pick up the check, so I will assume Jacques is expensive. But Jacques' reputation for great seafood is strong among the locals in Brussels. I went this weekend and had a juvenile monkfish that was served like a steak: Au poivre. It was heavenly. My only complaint is that I over-ate. Truly worth writing a review about.

I also liked the Lobster Bisque Armagnac. It was a superb starter.

Everyone in our group had a great meal. My companions ordered mussels -- six -- three hot, three cold. The three hot were a success all around. One of my colleagues did not care for the three cold.

I will say I thought the crume brulee was just so-so and disappointing. But the service was very attentive and pleasant (and humored well my request for a photo).

So good luck, but we had the Jacques that is legendary in Brussels last night. I will definitely be back.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank FredTravelVa
bonn
“Good reliable cooking”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We went here for a lobster meal and were not disappointed. Wonderful oysters to start off with, then a fresh lobster simply grilled, heavenly! Would definitley come back here for a special occasion.

Visited May 2012